Apex 8 Pot Brakes, Fitting , Testing, Review

cmng

I need some clarification
as show 17 x 7 offset 37 + 10mm spacer only able to clear it nicely
overall that mean 17 x 7 offset 27 or below only can clear the Big brake
Quite a massive offset to clear it
not many rim come with that massive offset

How about looking at 17 x 7.5 offset 33 rim ?

bopper

the problem for me is im not going to be buying more wheels as ive brought a brand new set of comp's which have never been fitted, and i never went into the group buy thinking it was gonna cost anymore, (new brakes, new wheeels, possibly spacers and arch rolling) for that i could of got the ap's, just to note im not tryin to dig at kev or bob its unfortunate whats happened but i need to look at this realistically

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
so let me get this straight, in order to fit these brakes you have to buy and fit new rims and rubber

this is a wind up...........................isn't it ?

P

pulsarboby

as yet steve, no its not a windup, wish it were.

im like everyone else at the moment except unfortunately for me, ive already paid £800 where as others havent.

in a nutshell, as it stands.....these brakes will only fit et37 or below wheels with a 10mm spacer also fitted.
the way i see it is that the caliper bracket can be reduced in size by 5mm which will then leave a 5mm spacer 'minimum' needed with an et37 wheel (look at clearances on one of the photos i put up)
these clearances are too tight even with that spacer fitted your looking at less than 1mm to back edge of caliper to inner spoke, which is useless when things start to heat up, surely there will then be some sort of contact.

it is very fortunate that i have access to lots of wheels to try, later this week i will remove the other set i have from other car (im hoping they are an et35 wheel) then i can get real measurements from them, and tell you exactly whats needed to make them clear with that offset.

im none too happy about this myself as i was led to believe (when i purchased them) that any 17 would fit, and infact even fit the 356mm kit, but that would definately be a no go, as it stands at present i cant see any 17'' wheel fitting that kit at all.

its annoying for me as im just getting my car ready to be run in now, but im not gonna risk driving it with that paper thickness between spoke and caliper, in my eyes its dangerous to drive like that and i run the risk of mullering a set of wheels and calipers if any contact is made.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
well thats not right is it..................

this kit obviously isn't ready to be sold and needs further development to be made to fit properly

that could take months if done properly

we shouldn't have to go to the expense and bother of fitting new wheels, longer wheel studs ans spacers just so we can fit these brakes.

Have any members actually parted with any money on this group buy ??

Kev@Apex

Dont get worried, nobody will be scammed and nobody will end up with parts they dont want or cant use.

I thought we had done the testing and everything was OK or I wouldnt have started the group buy.

The issue is not really the offset (Scoobs run 50 offset) but its where the brakes have to be to miss the ball joint.

Its looking like we can give 5mm more clearance to the spokes.

Bobby has tried a few wheels, so I'm ruling out an issue with 1 particular set for the spoke clearance/dish.

I'll keep you guys in the loop, dont worry, lets see where this goes and take it from there.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
KevD said:
Dont get worried, nobody will be scammed and nobody will end up with parts they dont want or cant use.

I thought we had done the testing and everything was OK or I wouldnt have started the group buy.

The issue is not really the offset (Scoobs run 50 offset) but its where the brakes have to be to miss the ball joint.

Bobby has tried a few wheels, so I'm ruling out an issue with 1 particular set for the spoke clearance/dish.

I'll keep you guys in the loop, dont worry, lets see where this goes and take it from there.
I hope Bob got a bloody good discount for all the R & D work he's doing for you guys ?

Also if this is going to take a while to sort out you should offer those people that you have taken a deposit from (who were all lead to believe this was sorted) the option of there money back until we know the final outcome of these brakes, because the deposit isn't an insignificant amount of money to have just hanging about...................please give our members the choice :-D

Kev@Apex

stevepudney said:
please give our members the choice :-D
Of course.
Anyone who has paid by paypal can ask for it to be returned now, or once we have had a chance to rework the brakes if they still feel they are unsuitable for what they need.

Anybody who has left debit/credit card details has not yet been charged a deposit anyway.

John

KevD said:

So basically as it stands were really no further forward, just seems to me the arrival date for March is starting to seem a bit optimistic.

Even with an extra 5mm it still means spacers for the majority, which I know personally isnt a route Im willing to go down simply because of the huge hassle and extra cost involved.

pulsar craig

ok let me be the first to say im out for the time being, kev i left my bank details and as off yet no money has been taken so untill we have more of a definative solution to the problem im out m8, and for the record im bloody gutted but i really dont want to use any sort of spacers, especially when im chucking it round the track.

P

pulsarboby

stevepudney said:
I hope Bob got a bloody good discount for all the R & D work he's doing for you guys :-D

as i previously stated, i paid more for the kit than the group buy price, so this isnt something im doing which ive been rewarded for:roll: im doing this purely as a favour for everyone!
my time is precious as i have a lot of work on and businesses to run, and if im honest i regret doing this at all.

unlike the rest of you's i cant use my car till this problem is sorted, unless i revert back to a standard setup which is all aggro and time consuming as far as im concerned, and a standard setup to me on track is pretty uselees tbh.

i will however fit spacers, extended studs front & rear and make adaptions to make these things fit the wheels, but i would hope and expect a significant reduction in price from kev, if this is to be the case.
if i charged my hourly rate then he would be owing me money for fitting them!

just how do you propose to get round this problem kev, without the need for spacers etc?

and in answer to your earlier question when you said quote 'i thought testing was complete' well you clearlly know that wasnt the case was it! i did state on thread and to yourself when buying these things that testing was incomplete and would be updated as and when needed. just think yourself lucky that my car was ahead of schedule!

Keira

im not remotely interested in these brake kits (i have some that fit :lol:) but this is getting embarrassing tbh and you're not helping yourself or anyone else.

bob, YOU HAVE FCKUED UP, you didn't put wheels over the brakes, just accept it, and get it sorted with kev and apex offline, you offered to trial fit a product that had never been test fitted. It doesn't fit, thats life. Thats the point of test fitting to find out if theres any issues.

Im sure kev would refund you if the change in offset still doesn't work out. But with your attitude i wouldn't be suprised if he told you bollox on a refund and never bothers to look at getting any new parts made up for a gtir again.

its pretty clear to anyone that can read:

pulsarboby said:
in answer to your earlier question when you said quote 'i thought testing was complete' well you clearlly know that wasnt the case was it!.
from the very first post in this thread, the thread you posted :

pulsarboby said:
i will update the thread when ive fitted my engine back in (hopefully before christmas) but the fitment of all items supplied is spot on
so overall rating so far is 10 out of 10, certainly looks to be a top quality bit of kit.
Now have a nice cup of tea, take a deep breath and sort it out offline :

ashills

kev if its not to much of a problem then i may get a refund for now as i still have another set of 4 pots to use and my wheels scrub slightly as it is so i have no option to run spacers thanks

P

pulsarboby

oh dear oh dear trust you to poke your snout in where its not wanted again:roll:

you really dont know the half of it mate, so keep your snitch out of stuff that dont concern you.

i have been on the phone to kev and i have been sorting this out off forum upto yet, not that its any of your god damn business at all.

theres stuff you dont know anything about that was brought to my attention today by one of the site highups, im sure he will pm you and maybe explain the situation to you seeing as your so concerned!

as far as im concerned this is absolutely nothing to do with you. ive tried my best with this with many wheels! but i will not be told by jumped up little pricks like you whos right and wrong here, especially as its none of your concern at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsarboby
i will update the thread when ive fitted my engine back in (hopefully before christmas) but the fitment of all items supplied is spot on
so overall rating so far is 10 out of 10, certainly looks to be a top quality bit of kit.

as it says in red

Last edited by a moderator:

Keira

you need to quit with the selective dissection of your own posts when it suits tbh bob and grow up a little bit. Despite how you obviously see it, the whole point of this forum is to discuss the gtir and any issues with it, not just a place to sell any of the old sh1te you have got in this week. This thread is an issue, one that anyone with a braincell and an understanding of offsets could solve with a tape measure tbh.

if the brakes dont fit, work out why and sort it out, whats the point of demanding on a public forum ( and then get arsey when it gets pulled up by someone ) that a well established company owes you anything cos of the hassle you've had test fitting....

thats the whole point of the test fit, to see if they fit,

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

and im afraid you need to quit with the dissecting of things that have nothing to do with you! you do it to everyone on here, and your a dab hand with a keyboard.

this thread is an issue which involves me and the others in the group buy, as previously stated you know nothing of whats been said or done regarding this stuff. and im not gonna enlighten you as its none of your business.

i know why the brakes dont fit 'as you say it doesnt take an expert to work that one out'
im quite happy to use whatever it takes to make them fit! im sure kev will come up with a solution
what anyone else does is then down to them, ive done more than my fair share.

i suggest you start doing a little bit of digging around elsewhere and get your facts right before you start delving into things that are of no concern to you. all your doing here is trying to wind me up even more, well this time it aint gonna work.

and what the fcuk has what i sell got anything to do with this thread! what i sell is once again my business, think youll find that ive also helped many people out with problems on this site, thats why people pm me, because i take the time to help them out rather than giving snide replys such as you do! so discect that!!!

if anyone wants info on these brakes and whats happening (in group buy), then pm me or contact kev for further info, as far as im concerned thanks to matey this thread is now closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keira

lets just all prey you dont decide to become a test pilot for airbus as we'll all be fooked when we go on holiday :

'the plane flies aok everything is fine with it, i didn't actually get it off the runway but what the heck'

:lol: