Apex 8 Pot Brakes, Fitting , Testing, Review

P

pulsarboby

ashills said:
check at full lock as well as my hispecs rubbed when turning on ball joint
yep i checked it on full lock and with wheel straight, also with suspension loaded and unloaded! 5mm is the max you can really go and thats cutting it a bit fine to say the least

P

pulsarboby

trouble is mark, thats ok when disc is new, and car is mainly used on road! but if cars primarily on track and your hard on the brakes all the time then you only have just under 2mm clearance to allow for heat expansion and any disc runout which may occur!so not much leeway really.

Kev@Apex

So we can move it all in 5mm?

And will 5mm still give lock-to-lock clearance ?

2mm runout!! What sort of crap do you think I'm selling. Our runout is typically 0.01mm with a max of 0.02mm

P

pulsarboby

yes sorry my mistake:oops: thats what i meant to say but typed it wrongly!

yes they can be bought in 5mm to still give a 2mm clearance all round from balljoint.
is that ok or do you want any other measurements

John

KevD said:
Not yet, sorry, I have passed the infomation to the factory.
So whats the story then, is it gonna be a 10mm spacer (for 37 offset) were going to have to use to get the brakes to fit or are we going to be able to get rid of spacer completely, just would like to know as Ive been speaking a to a few people about using spacers and no one has a good word to say about them.

bopper

ive got to say im not happy about using spacers, what's the deal with this Kev, I know it wasn't really anyone's fault but we have gone into this a little blind to the problems, if this cant be resolved without using spacers will anyone that backs out lose their deposit??

John

bopper said:
ive got to say im not happy about using spacers, what's the deal with this Kev, I know it wasn't really anyone's fault but we have gone into this a little blind to the problems, if this cant be resolved without using spacers will anyone that backs out lose their deposit??
Exactly my thoughts, I mean I dont wanna be an ar*e but spacers are just gonna cause me to much hassle if I go for cheapo ones or are wildly expensive if I want ones which will last. not to mention my Teins are gonna need re-setup :doh:

Only other option is to change alloys which isnt summit I want to do when Ive got a brand new set of OZ's on with practically new rubber, I mean the cost of new alloys or going with spacers puts the cost up and up which at the end of day means I could just go out and get a competitors set of brakes for more money but have no problems.

As I say I dont mean to be an a-hole its just I'd like to know what the story is, whether a complete re-design is going to be needed to eliminate spacers or whether spacers will be needed, I'm sure alot of people in the GB are in the same boat. Also you said you had complete control over arrival of the gear, what sorta impact is this having on the arrival date and has control basically been lost cause of these issues.

As I say im just looking for some clarification as the original deal was an absolute peach.

pulsar craig

tbh im thinking it might be more trouble than its worth, i really dont want to use spacers so if i cant use alloys with the pulsar offset of 40 i think i might pull out, but then again i love the look of the brakes and dont want to loose any deposit money so hopefully it can be sorted sharpish as show season is aproaching fast

ashills

just a thought with this
im running a 35 offset at the minute and at times ive had scrubbing so realy i cant run any more spacers etc on the front to clear brakes

P

pulsarboby

ashills said:
just a thought with this
im running a 35 offset at the minute and at times ive had scrubbing so realy i cant run any more spacers etc on the front to clear brakes
thats the prob i got at the mo with these fitted!
if spacers are fitted then there is contact with arch lip, hoping the extra 5mm will solve this otherwise im gonna have to roll the arches to try and gain more clearance.

will be trying a different set of wheels this week to see if i can reduce the spacer width

ashills

could it be the pulsar setup with respect to ball joint position wont allow such a big caliper as the k sport or is it similar size to others ?

P

pulsarboby

the caliper is a big old lump, but then again it is an 8 pot!
its also the disc width combined with caliper that i thinks causing the problem here.

they are excellent quality parts and im sure they will perform very well, only kev can explain more though what his thoughts are to try and cutdown this spacer width.

these other wheels im trying have previously been shipped in from the states and cost around £1200, and im preying that the clearances are better on them, but i wont know untill i remove them from the car there fitted too.
i feel the angle grinder maybe coming out soon and flared arches may be fitted if they dont fit over brakes:shock:

bopper

the thing is bob you already have yours so unfortunatly you have to go for more drastic measures but the guys that havent got them yet its more of a question, is it worth it??

P

pulsarboby

i would wait and see what the main man has planned, so i cant really answer that question!

based on what i know now, i never thought for a moment that there would be this problem with wheel clearances, but as you say ive already bought mine so il have to adapt to make them fit unless kev has another ace card to play.

with a little luck these other wheels will fit, and if he can reduce clearance so i only need a 5mm spacer then i may just have enough clearance without the need for rolling arches etc