Apex 8 Pot Brakes, Fitting , Testing, Review

P

pulsarboby

ok finally got round to fitting the k sport 8 pot brake kit supplied by kev d at apex
heres photo of the kit, and what you get in box, ive gone for the top of the range ferodo ds 3000 pads, but my car will primarily be used on circuit so you will not need these for road use.

the kit is very well packaged, and comes with all bolts, brackets and everything you need to fit them.

this shows you just how big this brake kit is, compared side by side to my old hispec 300mm kit, and those alongside the standard size disc & caliper.

here are some photos of the kit fitted, the discs are sided due to the centre vanes rotation.

this kit will not fit under 16'' rims (i tried 3 different sets and they are nowhere near gonna fit any of them) you will deffo need 17's.

i have not tested them yet on track, but im sure they will be fine.
i will update the thread when ive fitted my engine back in (hopefully before christmas) but the fitment of all items supplied is spot on.
so overall rating so far is 10 out of 10, certainly looks to be a top quality bit of kit.

any questions then fire away, either myself or kev d im sure can answer anything you throw at us lol

P

pulsarboby

ye may laugh young davey boy, but im on a mission since ive come back off holiday, gonna get this crappy pile of nuts n bolts finished for once and all:lol:

gotta test these stoppers out now anyway8) suppose i could tow the car down the street lol

davey red.r

pulsarboby said:
ye may laugh young davey boy, but im on a mission since ive come back off holiday, gonna get this crappy pile of nuts n bolts finished for once and all:lol:

gotta test these stoppers out now anyway8) suppose i could tow the car down the street lol
hope you do get it sorted before xmas bob,
seriously tho mate, they look the muts them brakes:thumbsup:
can you not lend me to test them:lol: :lol: :lol:
im just using any excuse too thrash my car.
cause my R has a low threshold for stopping on these :yuck: standard brakes
a mean single piston caliper :?
what were the sianaras thinking off:lol:

davey;-)

P

pulsarboby

kev will have to answer that one for you, this was the first set produced so not sure what the retail on these kits will be set at.
think they are £955 for the base set with standard road pads, but as i said im not sure of that!

kenan

South West Regional Rep
One thing I liked about them was that the disks were 1.5 times the thickness of the other kits available. What’s the clearance like between the calliper and the spokes? Offset wise not diameter

P

pulsarboby

yes kenan the discs are very thick, so they should disperse the heat very well indeed.
cant advise of what clearances are like at the moment with 17' rims as im undecided which ones im gonna fit on my car. ive got 2 sets of oz rims and another set of very lightweight rims on a car i recently bought. so will update the thread when i fit them.

found the retail prices for brakes and the pad choices
here you go young morfus:

330mm kit with K Sport Street pads £727.66 (£855 inc vat)
330mm kit with Ferodo DS2500 pads £787.24 (£925 inc vat)
330mm kit with Ferodo DS3000 pads £808.51 (£955 inc vat)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
top of the range ferodo ds 3000 pads, but my car will primarily be used on circuit so you will not need these for road use
I use the exact same pads on the front with my 325mm 4 pot set up and have 300mm disc's and standard pads on the rear. The ferodo ds 3000 pads work very well on the road, don't need any warming and work instantly :-D

P

pulsarboby

ah right didnt realise that steve, thought they were mainly designed for track use, and had to be warmed up, so thats good news.

suppose it depends on your budget really as the k sport road pads are £100 cheaper, which is quite a lot of money extra to pay for a set of pads!
however kev reckons that on track the ds3000 will last much much longer than the others so in the long term will be the cheaper alternative.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Lionel said:
compaired to a AP , Alcon, Brembo how do these calipers seem?

When comparing you need to bare in mind the price!

6POT AP - £1800

8POT KSport - £1000

Big Difference!!

P

pulsarboby

Lionel said:
compaired to a AP , Alcon, Brembo how do these calipers seem?

ok lionel, as rishi just said.....huge price difference!

i have to say that the quality of the brakes is top notch 'i really cant knock them at all'

ap and brembo are proven top notch brakes, no one can possibly dispute that, but the way i look at it is that a caliper is merely a hydraulic press, so providing the build quality is good (and i cant fault the k sports so far) then theres no reason why they should not perform as well as a top brand, such as brembo!

the other thing that imo makes an item good, is the spares available for it 'such as seals etc' providing these are all readily obtainable, then your on the way to having a very good product.

another thing that i didnt point out was the weight issue! the discs are heavy (due to there thickness and size) but the calipers are no heavier than my hispec 4 pots.

O

Odin

Looks like a nice bit of kit bobby, Now lets see just how many of our tight fisted members are willing to shell out a grand for a set of brakes worth nearly as much as their cars :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I'd like to thank Kev at Apex for taking the trouble to make these possible though 8) ;-) , And all the other stuff he has in the pipe line :thumbsup: .

I might even be tempted myself if I feel the need to go bigger than my current AP four pot set up......

Rob

Lionel

I no you can get a AP set for around grand. what i wanted to no is what are they like in quality compaired to the AP Brembo and Alcon.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Odin said:
Looks like a nice bit of kit bobby, Now lets see just how many of our tight fisted members are willing to shell out a grand for a set of brakes worth nearly as much as their cars :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Not that much more than the Willwood or Hi Spec brakes

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Lionel said:
I no you can get a AP set for around grand. what i wanted to no is what are they like in quality compaired to the AP Brembo and Alcon.

You are telling me you can get me an 8POT AP Racing Brake Kit for the GTiR for £1000..

Go for it!!

Rishi