Apex 8 Pot Brakes, Fitting , Testing, Review

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
filler !!! yuk !!

That would look great until the calliper heated up enough to pop the pug out.

If you don't like the look of the white on black, just mask it out and overspray the face of the calliper.

Radleigh

I prefer the flat faced caliper, looks alot better:-D :-D

Price on a kit to go under 16" please???

KevD said:
You mean like this 6-pot rear (current design) as being supplied on the group buy ;)

Kev@Apex

When available the prices will be as below (Prices below are ex-vat)
Although I'll be able to do a GB with similar discounts to the current 330/356mm Group buy
304mm will be £824.99 rrp

O

Odin

stevepudney said:
filler !!! yuk !!

That would look great until the caliper heated up enough to pop the pug out.

I'd just use some of the old magic metal filler ginger uses to rebuild his engines with :shock: :lol: :lol: , Would work wonders :thumbsup: .

Rob

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I would be very interested in the 286 kit to go under 15s. Would the disks still be quite thick like the other kits?

P

pulsarboby

ok gents i think ive discovered what could be a major problem with these brakes on our cars:doh:
nothing to do with brake fitment but wheels!
ive got 5 sets of 17'' wheels in workshop and i had to move my car from one workshop to another today so needed it rolling obviously!
now not one of these sets of 17s will fit, '38 offset no way hosey'! you can get a 37 offset wheel on there but you need at least an 8mm spacer plate to stop spokes catching the caliper face.
even with an 8mm spacer and oz superleggera wheels theres a paper thin clearance between the spokes and the caliper, so i think you will need a 10mm spacer!
then you have the problem of needing longer wheel studs:doh:

and dont forget if you space out the front of the car then you will have to do the back too, as your altering the track of the vehicle. then if your car like mine sits quite low, you will have a problem with rubbing so you may then need to roll the arches too.

i really didnt reckon on this at all. i also like to run a slightly wider track on the rear so im gonna need 15mm spacers there which equates to 30mm both sides!

so be prepared for a lot more expense with wheels, studs possible arch rolling etc if your buying these brakes;-)

i originally was under the impression that nearlly all 17s would fit no problem, so im pretty cheesed off tbh.

P

pulsarboby

tbh carl i didnt really want to move upto 17s with my car as i wanted wheel size as small as possible (being primarily a circuit car), but then a compromise had to be drawn between braking performance and wheel size and the brakes won!

what im trying to say to those people that have bought these brakes in the group buy is that there is a very high possibility in fact a certainty that your existing 17'' wheels will not fit over these calipers, you will need the alterations as in my last post.

im no conneseur of wheels but i would have thought you may even have the same trouble with 18'' wheels, theres plenty of clearance from inside of wheel to outer face of caliper, but its the face to spoke clearance that is the big problem here, and many 17'' wheels will simply not fit unless you put around a 20mm spacer on each wheel, which is far from ideal.
from what i can gather the smaller number the offset ie 37 fits better than 38 so you would need ideally around a 35 offset wheel, but then someone please correct me if im wrong

it maybe a good idea to copy this post in the group buy thread so people actually realise what expense there gonna have before buying the brake kit!

MORF114

Whats the distance from the face of the bell to the edge of the caliper see what offset it is then for sure.

MarkTurbo

What offset are the disc mounting bells (from the face the wheel sits against to the face of the disc) and how much clearance is there between the disc and the lower arm???

With my AP brakes i got the mounting bells made to my own drawing to keep the discs as close to the lower arms as i could get away with so i could keep the thickness of wheel spacer i'd need to use as small as possible ;-) I ended up only needing a 3mm spacer with 35mm offset wheels 8)

I had to fit longer wheel studs too as the standard ones were far too short even with a thin spacer. Changing them is a piece of p1ss though and i think the longer studs were only about £2 each ;-)

P

pulsarboby

will measure all these clearances on monday when im back at work!
where did you buy the extended studs from mark?

Kev@Apex

I wish you had mentioned it earlier, but it can still be sorted, it just will delay the group buy a little as I thought the test fitting had been OK'd by you.

If I offset the caliper/rotor 10-15mm further back into the wheel would that foul anything? I seem to recall there is a ball joint that may get in the way. I'll see how far the factory were on with making the order that was placed at Xmas and tell them to stop production. I'll get a new set of bells and brackets made and you can test them.

Its not a big issue for me, just slightly annoying to find this now, it can be sorted I hope.

I'll wait some pics/measurements of how much the brakes can be offset to make it as good for you guys as I can get :D

P

pulsarboby

ok all sorted by phone call;-)

will update thread later with measurements and photos

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
ok all sorted by phone call;-)
:thumbsup: Now was that really worth getting your panties in a twist for :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

John

Great to see things getting sorted, means I can now go spend the money I was expecting to have to pay to get the brakes fitting correctly on some other mod for the car :thumbsup:

P

pulsarboby

ok kev heres photos and we may still have a little prob with these clearances!

the distance you have to the nearest point (being lower balljoint) is just 7mm clearance, thats tight to joint edge! so you will not get the 15mm as required to eliminate spacers!

so the max distance allowing for disc runout @ just under 0.2mm will leave you around 5mm or so to play with.

the photo shown is with a 10mm spacer fitted and an offset wheel with et37 17''

Last edited by a moderator: