Track day upgrades?

Jon Olds

sprinting is a strange sport. what bobby said, leave it std if you want to compete. once you start modding you have to go full msa spec. barmy rules. I have just bought a track day car that I was going to lend out to a mate to pop his sprint cherry on, but no " computer says no" cant run modsports, cant run road legal..

MarkTurbo

The advantage of weight saving is it's effectively free horsepower so your power to weight ratio wii be the same as a heavier car with more power but with less strain on the engine and box AND that weight loss should help with fuel consumption all the time, so it's paying for itself.
I prefer to do it the other way round and just have more power to make up for the extra weight :lol:

STEVEN878

more questions :)

so been making alot of progress with the car recently. the battery is in the boot, bucket seats and harnesses are ready to fit, seat subframes are almost finished, washer bottle in the boot, more weight removed, bonnet pins fitted, etc, etc.

my friend keeps looking at these fancy alloy radiators on ebay and thinks they look good, but im not convinced. does anyone know if theyre a worthwhile upgrade over standard or should i just go with a double core unit from a sunny gtir?

does anyone know where i can get a n/s outer sill as the one on the car is gone!?

does the fuel tank need to be removed to weld in a roll cage, if so does the rear axle need to be removed?

thanks
steven

johnsy

Those Ali rad's are a good upgrade, they hold a shit load more water,have a larger surface area too cool keeping your engine temps well under control when you kicking its fucking teeth around the track

Last edited:

STEVEN878

they do look like good radiators, but was curious to how they flow and how good a job they do of reducing coolant temp compared to the standard unit :)

im a bit wary as theyre very cheap!

johnsy

I paid about £100 for mine, and never had any cooling issues, when I had the standard rad fitted temps would shoot up on track and I felt I had to constantly monitor temps and also felt I had to do more cool down laps, fitting the Ali rad was a good and cheap mod to help prolong your engines life while at the limit, every little helps.

Easy to fit, so it should be why not rather than why should i

STEVEN878

So really there is no difference in flow or cooling comparing the double core sunny rad against the alloy rad?

i really dont want any issues on track :/

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've never had the alloy one, but the only problem with cooling I had on the track with the double core was my radiator hose splitting. - I repaired that and kept going.

I'd say the alloy give you a bit more bling.

johnsy

Cheap compared to what, a 20yr old sunny rad. Double core or not the Ali rads are 2" thick and have Ali end tanks , if your questioning there worth , why did you fit the front mount as they don't flow very well ,are cheap and increase lag and you've had to butcher the front end to get it fit,

for track use a Ali rad has more benefit than a front mount ic, and the oil cooler is well ott,

STEVEN878

Theyre cheap as far as alloy radiators go when compared to the koyo or pace units, so just wanting to make sure theyre up to the job :)

i bought that intercooler 5 years ago on a group buy either on here or the modifiers site and also the wilwood brake kit.
i didnt realise there was flow issues with that fmic kit. I only changed it due tomthe car suffering from heat soak in traffic and cutting out.

i used to have that cooler behind the standard bumper....only butchered the bumper 2 weeks ago.

vss irvine

You dont have to remove the tank to weld the plates in for the cage.

Just make sure you have the tank sealed. If you ever wanted to remove the tank then yes the rear subframe assembly has to be dropped

Buy a 4 door nissan sunny sill and trim it to fit.

Or buy one from nissan for the 3 door.

Braveheart

Whens your car going to be back out at knockhill?
Providing I do not get dragged off overseas to work, I could have to car back on track for April / May.
I have few more loose ends to sort out then I can put my attention to fixing the car for KH.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers!

STEVEN878

Nice one mate, hopefully mine will be ready for around May if i can get time to work on it.

Is there any upgrades you would recommend for KH?