Track day upgrades?

STEVEN878

Exterior airbags might be a good shout. Haha

hopefully i don't crash it as it seems a lot of hassle getting replacement panels :/

Braveheart

[FONT=&quot]Most of the upgrades have been covered on your thread although do not get carried away..... keep it simple or your missies will have you by the balls.

Brakes: Heavy breaking at KH. My Wilwoods work fine. Lucky to get two full track days (160 - 180 miles) out of a set of pads so have a spare set at hand to change during the day.
*Note* have a set of wheel chocks to deploy so you do not have to use handbreak or footbreak after hard driving.
Cooling: OE Rad not good enough. My expansion bottle would dump it's load after a hard lap session 8 to 10 laps. Upgrade your cooling and try to fit in two cool down laps if you can.
Camber: added negative camber, especially on the LHS front (passenger side) as KH has off camber right hand bends and more right than left.
I'm a bit worried that you have cut down / reduced reinfocement bars as that is one thing that can protect the goodies..... Rad, Oil cooler... etc... I myself like a bit of a buffer.
Cheers,
Scott.
[/FONT]

STEVEN878

Im really trying my hardest no to get carried away with this track car and iv been warned as she knows what I'm like. haha. My other project car has had £13k spent on it in last 2 and a bit years and its still climbing! This weeks new mod was £320, but she doesn't know about that yet ;-)

I was planning to have a spare set of front discs and pads on every track day just incase.

what radiator are you using? I keep bidding for one on ebay, but they keep cancelling the auction!!
im needing to get a front mount oil cooler kit as well, so ill get one from pulsarboby to keep the costs down ;)

should have a set of wheel chocks laying around somewhere, but not sure if the marshals will let me keep them in the car :/

i had to cut the front crash bar to fit the cooler....i might get some metal welded in to accommodate the cooler.

what engine oil do you use? I was thinking of using millers cro 10w60, but iv heard oil pressure is a bit lower than until its up to temp.

do you know if the car suffers from fuel surge at KH?

sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:

whytie

I have a setrab front mount cooler and hoses plus mocal sandwich plate with thermo in it for sale.

This is all brand new never fitted or seen oil, looking for £130 not crap shitty ebay crap.

Jon Olds

Cooling: i started a thread on this elsewhere and never really got the response i was hoping for. now i'm thinking of using a 1/2 or 2/3'rd size intercooler to get more cold air thro the rad. a full size one is totally blocking the rad. Protection: I use a 1" square steel bar in front of the rads at the bottom. so far I have hit a few chicanes, written off a few bumpers and not marked the rads. cheap effective. Spare pads yes, not spare discs. Also, I use 'top hats' in the caliper pistons so the second half of the pad can get used without the piston being fully extended out of the calipers. helps the pedal feel, saves wasting brake pads, cheap (lathe..)

STEVEN878

I have a setrab front mount cooler and hoses plus mocal sandwich plate with thermo in it for sale.

This is all brand new never fitted or seen oil, looking for £130 not crap shitty ebay crap.
i might be interested mate. Got any pics of the kit?
your not that far away either :)

STEVEN878

Cooling: i started a thread on this elsewhere and never really got the response i was hoping for. now i'm thinking of using a 1/2 or 2/3'rd size intercooler to get more cold air thro the rad. a full size one is totally blocking the rad. Protection: I use a 1" square steel bar in front of the rads at the bottom. so far I have hit a few chicanes, written off a few bumpers and not marked the rads. cheap effective. Spare pads yes, not spare discs. Also, I use 'top hats' in the caliper pistons so the second half of the pad can get used without the piston being fully extended out of the calipers. helps the pedal feel, saves wasting brake pads, cheap (lathe..)
You might get away with using a smaller intercooler and also lower intake temps depending on what cooler your using at the moment. From what iv heard theres more to a intercooler than size and bigger isnt always better. It seems end tank designs play a huge part in flow.
i like the idea of adding box section to protect the radiator, etc, so ill have a look and get something made up.

Thanks for the advice mate, where do i get top hats form?
why not spare discs? Has no-one warped a disc or had bad pad transfer on cool down laps and needed a set of discs at track?

Braveheart

I have a Koyo 50mm alloy rad fitted and a 16 row setrab oil cooler and use Silkolene PRO R 15W-50.

Run the oil pipes up and over via a relocated Oil filter and use a manual gauge to monitor oil temps.
Have not suffered from fuel surge but have not tracked the car with < 1/4 tank of fuel.

You were wondering about heat wrapping OE Manifold....

Last edited:

STEVEN878

Wow!! Some very nice parts on your car mate, the radiator looks expensive!
your making me want to spend money. Haha
who maps your car for the bigger turbo, etc?

i need to wait on this auction ending on this alloy radiator, but that one looks like a nice bit of kit.

I should be ok for chocks, but if not ill use some bits of wood :)

STEVEN878

What ecu do you use?
Whats the spec mate?

sorry for all the questions mate, but you pretty much have the setup im looking for on my car.