Track day upgrades?

Greygtir

4mm is deffo min requirement. And I'd only buy the rear screen. I have a sunny bonnet. I will weigh it. If I remember correctly the flat bonnet is around 14 il double check

Bonnets that weight 4kg will be super thin. Flex stupidly. I'm going grp doors ATM and one request was to make them a but stronger and take a bit of flex out of the door at high speed.

STEVEN878

Im going to measure the glass windows tonight to get a rough idea of what size of poly i need and then go about finding somewhere local to buy it.

nice one! I will change the bonnet to a flat sunny one if the weight saving is substantial, but kinda ruins the look of the car imo.

grp doors, whats that? (Lightweight, fibreglass)

P

pulsarboby

sorry but gotta laugh how this thread has evolved from a cheap trackday bit of fun car to a full msa type spec track car with l/w panels etc etc:lol:

why bother unless you are planning on racing her
just make sure its running properly, jump in and drive the thing you dont need all this shite to have a bit of fun on track:doh:

STEVEN878

sorry but gotta laugh how this thread has evolved from a cheap trackday bit of fun car to a full msa type spec track car with l/w panels etc etc:lol:

just make sure its running properly, jump in and drive the thing you dont need all this shite to have a bit of fun on track:doh:
haha, iv tried to keep it cheap, but knew it wouldnt!
the plan was to strip it, make sure it runs fine, has good tyres and go have fun, but as usual i het carried away!

only spent £400ish on it in the past week or so, so it is kinda low budget ;)

MarkTurbo

That was the point i was trying to make. All this weight saving is pointless unless you're chasing tenths of seconds, which you're not on a trackday :doh:

I don't know if its a gti-r thing or not but over the years there have been so many people who seem to spend more time talking on here and building cars that are way over specced for what they need than they do driving the bloody things :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The advantage of weight saving is it's effectively free horsepower so your power to weight ratio wii be the same as a heavier car with more power but with less strain on the engine and box AND that weight loss should help with fuel consumption all the time, so it's paying for itself.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Nope, at well over £6 per gallon, every little helps. I know these cars are not about fuel consumption, but if i can save money without trying, then - bonus.

P

pulsarboby

That was the point i was trying to make. All this weight saving is pointless unless you're chasing tenths of seconds, which you're not on a trackday :doh:

I don't know if its a gti-r thing or not but over the years there have been so many people who seem to spend more time talking on here and building cars that are way over specced for what they need than they do driving the bloody things :lol:

exactly lol
and lets face it (myself included) theres some right big fat bastads driving these cars and they should take a serious look at themselves first instead of worrying about shaving off a few grams here and there which is a totally pointless exercise, like its gonna make any difference in the real world:der::lol:

just jump in drive her and and see what you can do on track, if you get bored with tracking it then just put the interior back in and flog it on, if you start ripping all the sound deadening out, replacing windows and panels with plastic then youve severely limited the people that may want to buy the car in future
plus its a damn site safer with metal panels which aint all been hacked about by a lunatic let loose with a grinder :lol:

Mad

Agree with bob on that one. Just go and have some fun. I'm a big fella and the cheapest way to get the weight of the car down is get down to racing weight. My car is reasonably light but not ott. Yes lighter is better for sure but stripping the car as much as possible without spending a small fortune is the best thing to do. If you end up entering into a race series then you will be saving your pennies for a spare engine and tyres anyway so having a car that is 20kg lighter is the last of your worries and some of the race series have minimum weight allowances which the gtir has an advantage over other cars anyway.

Perspex windows help too and don't cost an arm or a leg. Another option is to get a lighter front bumper and bonnet but it's all added cost.

A good example is adding a roll cage. This will add extra weight to the car but the pros out weigh the cons so is money well spent even though it makes the car heavier.

STEVEN878

just checked and i only weigh 77kg, so dont need to worry about losing much weight ;)

i thought i was being kinda sensible with the car compared to others.
iv set the target of 1100kg and 300bhp, so need to try and get as close to that as possible.

iv still got a few its to buy.
polycarb sheets
drivers seat frame
dawes device
walbro fuel pump
oil cooler kit
double core radiator
ns outer sill
new tyres

ao should be ready early next year.

Jon Olds

Talked to a guy at a recent Cadwell trackday who had to sell his scooby trackcar as he got through 200 quid worth of fuel in a day on track. He now runs a normally aspirated 2L16V. We take 60-80 litres to do a rally

STEVEN878

cage depends on cost. i know its a must in terms of safety, but need to wait on my mates stock car friends getting back to him.

im not worried about fuel as the car wont get used every weekend due to work comitments.

STU666V

Is the car going to be road legal?
i had about 5 years of great fun with my car, 1.2bar, stripped out a bit and it never let me down.
now at the sprint class I am in is all about money if you want to win and has put me off a bit!
I am building my car the way I want to build as I like working with my hands and it's nice to do something in these dark nights.

STEVEN878

I want to try and keep the car road legal, even though it will probably never be back on the street.

stu your blog up to about page 31 is all i want to do for next year and have some fun!

1.2bar of boost, did you need to adjust fuelling for that amount?

STU666V

At that time all I hade was a mines ecu,
after that I got it re-mapped and fitted a safc for a few years and had great fun with it, that's changed again now.