Time Attack

S

scrutineer

Hi everyone

thought this would be the best thread for post No 1:)

a bit of an interest in this as you can see from my sig. I do hope to see some of you out in T/A soon - its a great championship and growing rapidly...... but more variety is always nice

a couple of questions were asked earlier .....

no methanol is not allowed

no clive seddons Evo was not considered to be space frame - the tubing is a support for the diff only (imho) which was what someone also said:)

yes roger clark motorsport are running their new subaru

and jimmy macrae was driving at Knockhill!! - still waiting to hear if he's doing the finals at brands

there are some changes coming for 2008 so hang on before major car changes ..... we're working on the regs now and hope to get something out for the finals at brands

any questions, ask away i'd rather resolve issues before they happen if possible:)
pm
scrutineer@timeattack.co.uk

anyone coming to the finals?

cheers
marc

P

pulsarboby

hi marc!
ok i was going to enter in time attack and was accepted this year, but due to a mechanical failiure i had to bail out.

but if im honest, i have to say that i was very dissapointed with the amount of tracktime you actually get.
barring the first round at donny which was a 2 day affair, all the others were one day so practice and test time was at a minimal.
also i found the cost to be quite high considering the amount of tracktime you get. was a big hike on the previous year.

due to those things i decided to go for the barc chamionship as a group a car in promodified category, there is a lot more tracktime with 2 & 3 day race schedules which isnt a lot dearer than the one day time attack, when broken down into stages!

so can you tell me why entry prices have rocketed? and why are nearlly all the events just one day?
please dont take this the wrong way, but it seems that the marketing ploy is to get as many people involved as possible, for max profit! but in the long run i think this could backfire, unless participants are getting good vfm.

Keira

scrutineer said:
any questions, ask away i'd rather resolve issues before they happen if possible:)
would it not be possible in the future to have a true 'clubmans class' I.e cars owned, built and run by club members..i.e normal people that build their own cars :lol: not tuners, cheque book tuners or anyone else affiliated with tuners. For example, you could win the lottery and despite being a complete ****wit who doesn't know where a spark plug goes :roll: go out and pay someone £500,000 to build you the ultimate track car and if you can drive abit do very well, despite being a cooont :lol:

Not that im interested tbh, but i'd imagine theres plenty of people that would be, obviously you need the 'top' :roll: tuners cars their to draw in the droves of brainless spectators but having a space for the little man, with a genuine chance of winning something would give plenty of people something to aim at..

or, as bob is suggesting, is it all about money really and not worth bothering with for anyone that hasn't got thousands to spare ?

Last edited:

Fazz

diesel weasel said:
would it not be possible in the future to have a true 'clubmans class' I.e cars owned, built and run by club members..i.e normal people that build their own cars :lol: not tuners, cheque book tuners or anyone else affiliated with tuners. For example, you could win the lottery and despite being a complete ****wit who doesn't know where a spark plug goes :roll: go out and pay someone £500,000 to build you the ultimate track car and if you can drive abit do very well, despite being a cooont :lol:

Not that im interested tbh, but i'd imagine theres plenty of people that would be, obviously you need the 'top' :roll: tuners cars their to draw in the droves of brainless spectators but having a space for the little man, with a genuine chance of winning something would give plenty of people something to aim at..

or, as bob is suggesting, is it all about money really and not worth bothering with for anyone that hasn't got thousands to spare ?

I disagree slightly with what is said above, it should be made more clearer. Club class should simply be club memebers and anyone who does not work iwth a Tuning Company.
Pro Class should be anyone that works with a Tuning Company. End of.

` - to put a couple names into the equation.

For the 2007 line up Ron Kiddell Got to enter his Skyline in the Clubman Class.
As we all know, Ron owns and runs RK Tuning, yet was allowed enter into the club class?
Why was this????

Conversely, Martin Green, owner and funder of the Orange Evo built by RC Developments, was not allowed enter into the Clubman Class. Yes he had lent the car to Clive Sneddon of RC on occasion, but as he is the owner and funder of the car, and has no association with RC Developments, why was he not allowed to enter his own car this year in the club class???
Would I be correct in saying the car started as Club Class driven by Martin, but seeing as it was spanking the opposition was bumped up to Pro Class to make the times look more even?????? !

There seems to be a contradiction in terms here. Please clarify how the above 2 standings were reached???

This would help with your Club Class entries in future so that the rules are very clear and private owners know they are not up against Tuning Companies who obviously have more advantages in building a Time Attack Car.

Fazz

stumo said:
If you look at the guys "name" it says scrutineer, not organiser. :roll:
If you looked he said ask any questions and I'll help where possible.

Also is it not feasible he knows about scrutineering for pro Vs Club class no? :der:

:roll:
Why bother posting such useless spam replies? :doh: are you his appointed replier? :lol: :roll:

stumo

As he was posting about technical items relating to the rule book (or "regs") i would have thought that he was saying that any questions should be relating to that subject, not on how expensive the series has become or why a certain car is in which class (surely this will be a political reason, not a technical one)

Why not wind your neck in instead of mouthing off all the time.

P

pulsarboby

disagree with you stuey!

i think that hes using the clubs to spam time attack;-)bet if you scoured the forums, he appears on quite a few others too!
so my question sticks, this has become one big money making rackett, and there trying to get as many people and cars involved as possible in order to make even more money.
nearlly a £1000 for a few rounds is a joke, and the normal club class people that pay it are being taken for mugs, when they can race there car in one of the many other series in motorsport for less and get hours of tracktime and proper racing to boot, and a fair chance at gaining a sponsor (results permitting)

the only people that benefit from time attack is the organisers and many tuner companies that enter it!
its just one big advertising ploy for them all.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Pro - Tuners (unlimited bhp)
Club - Big budget/bhp cars funded from owners pocket.
Street - Limited bhp (max 400-300hp) where skilled yet smaller budgeting drivers can competitively compete.

MarkTurbo

Dooie Pop Pop said:
pulsarboby said:
nearlly a £1000 for a few rounds is a joke
:shock: now thats criminal:der:
Yep that is pretty shocking :lol: I think it was something like £230 for each round :shock: :der: An entry for a sprint or hillclimb is usually around £60-70, i know what i'd rather do ;-)

P

pulsarboby

think this year was over 6 rounds which makes £1380
total tracktime in all events probably equates to no more than 1 half hours
so its even worse than i thought when you look at it like that.

in lma euro saloons or barc which is a step down from btcc, you will get 2 sometimes 3 days racing for that!
and its real racing, with a lot of track and prep time. and also qualifying too, so its much more vfm, but you will of course need an msa licence.

S

scrutineer

well i,ve started something here:shock:

its taken me a while to reply - been at brands hatch all day

firstly my involvement is purely on the technical side so questions about entry fees really are not my area - TBH i dont actually know what the costs were this year!
one thing i'm sure of though is that the organisers are certainly not going to making vast profits out of it - its a very expensive event to run
the question of classes etc for tuners and club drivers is something we are looking at . It is certainly desireable to have a way of gradng the entries more -......3 classes eh FurbarAndy?..... do i know you from somewhere?
but the problem is always finding ways of making the distinction between classes without going down the route of stripping engines etc its very easy to say whats wrong with something.... but when you actually try to do a system that does it better its not so easy after all - i should know i'm involved in just that now.

and for pulsarboby:
"i think that hes using the clubs to spam time attack;-)bet if you scoured the forums, he appears on quite a few others too!
so my question sticks, this has become one big money making rackett, and there trying to get as many people and cars involved as possible in order to make even more money."

well thanks very much yes i do appear on several other forums,
purely because in my apparantly misguided mind i though it would be both helpful and appreciated for me to do this both for getting feedback and helping with regs questions.
As well as the EDC and T/A i'm also a mSA scroot and I lets be clear about it im not on here for personal gain, or to advertise i'm here for the love of the sport and to be helpful! And IMHO it is a damn good series and I see a hell of a lot of motorsport in a year!
so its up to you guys - if you think i'm here to spam i'll clear off and not bother you again

Keira

stumo said:
it's as boring as feck to watch!
pmsl....its kinda like rallying without any of the excitement.

mr scrutineer, it would be good if you could find out what plans, if any are being thought of to make it more accessable, competetive for the little man, there really are very few events that are worth bothering with if your on your own,

P

pulsarboby

ok if its true and you are just a scrutineer then please except my appologies, for being somewhat abrupt.
but if im honest, i cant see why a scrutineer would come onto the sites other than to advertise this particular event, whether it be through the event regs or other means!!!
as the people that wanted to get involved in time attack would surely have read the regs and if they were unsure of any part, then they would have made contact to find out the things they were unsure of, through the correct channels.

perhaps ive got the wrong end of the stick here, and at the end of the day you are doing no harm, but why just advertise time attack regs and not regs in general on any motorsport?
that way your not being biased toward one particular event!
and couldnt be accused of spamming.

MarkTurbo

To be completly honest the chances of ever seeing a pulsar doing time attack are pretty slim anyway :lol: There are some exceptions but these days you've got a job to get anyone to turn up to a trackday let alone anything like this ;-)

P

pulsarboby

sales rep and chief scrutineer of the time attack and european drift championships

is that sales rep for time attack???

S

scrutineer

pulsarboby said:
sales rep and chief scrutineer of the time attack and european drift championships

is that sales rep for time attack???
:roll: like so many people i do have to have a day job .......or do you think i make so much money from motorsport its my only job??......dream on!!

so no i'mnot a sales rep for time attack ......was this statement really too hard to understand?

" firstly my involvement is purely on the technical side so questions about entry fees really are not my area"

you would be amazed how many people read the regs and seem to fail to understand so, rather than them arrive for an event and fail scrutineering i'd rather spend (waste!) my own time (UNPAID) on forums to help people out.
I came here after an email enquiry about an entry that implied\there was a lot of interest from GTIR drivers for entering but i've obviously strayed\ into the wrong area
never mind i've plenty of things to do - if i want my integrety insulted i can do that at home SWMBO is very good at that

Admin: feel free to delete account.

Last edited by a moderator:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
scrutineer said:
It is certainly desireable to have a way of gradng the entries more -......3 classes eh FurbarAndy?..... do i know you from somewhere?
but the problem is always finding ways of making the distinction between classes without going down the route of stripping engines etc
diesel weasel said:
mr scrutineer, it would be good if you could find out what plans, if any are being thought of to make it more accessable, competetive for the little man, there really are very few events that are worth bothering with if your on your own
Just an idea that perhaps could be worked on for people without deep pockets to be involved in some kind of motorsport. As pointed out, motorsport ain't cheap, but perhaps people who have talent within driving/motorsport are hampered due to high costs and entrance fees.