Project Shit Box (2021)

Eng1

I’m sure they will do a fine job on it , are they doing the complete engine assembly? As they can balance crank and skim flywheel and rebalance at the same time and check cylinder head ,measure ,skim and cc it etc -
All the machine shop needs in one place helps , they skimmed my flywheel - no issues at all since
I know it all costs and no future car buyer ever pays for the job being done correctly, but many pay for it not being done correctly -
Lol

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’m sure they will do a fine job on it , are they doing the complete engine assembly?
No someone is hopefully going to do all that up here near Manchester.

They people I'm using are Nissan people so they should have it all in order once the block is returned!

Eng1

The assembly side of things is pretty straightforward, once you have a squared up block all nice and clean .
It only becomes an issue if something is out , crank , rods , etc , excessive play - that’s where having a full spec machine shop available helps , resizing and rebalancing or just making a thrust washer to spec .
If you have cylinder head issues , I can give you my head guy contact (he is fabulous) and if you need valves I can recommend G&S valves , who can make just about any spec valve you want (good prices too )
Both have decades of experience at the very highest level

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
JE pistons ordered from the US, should be here in 3 weeks!

I'll collect the block once they've arrived and drop off with chaps @ FJ Payne

Eng1

I’m sure they will do a good job , I came across FJpaynes many year ago (40 or so) , I lived in the area and my brother in law was working at Tom Walkinshaw (TWR) on the racing Jag V12 .
TWR had an engine in there for machine work , I popped in and they were scanning the block , laser I think ,and building a 3 D image of the bores .
I can’t remember exactly what they were doing but it was part of a project to do with piston ovality .
Pistons are not perfectly round as people think but oval due to wear under load .
There is no substitute for experience and such companies have it in spades .. we are lucky the UK still (just) has a few such places and skills , but they don’t market themselves well and the world works by the Internet nowadays .

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Pistons have arrived.

My old block is in my garage ready to be taken down to the shop for its new sleeves.

Fingers crossed it won't take a month plus to get sorted! :)

20210811_175628[1].jpg

20210811_173324[1].jpg

vpulsar

Wow I didn't realize parts supplies had got so bad since I've been away, I'm glad I started mine 8 years ago, still not got it back but hay I started lol.

I'm also hoping to have more luck with the nistune, I'll get mine mapped properly by Horsham developments when the time comes.

I can't afford anything fancy like my motec in my last car.

Good luck with the parts hunt though dude, I had a few good blocks I had to skip when I got divorced unfortunately.

Rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
One re-lined block to 86mm

FJ Payne's are a delight to deal with.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding when it's built back together and the liners don't slip or rotate in their new block.

For now it's off back to the shop to get rebuilt.

20211029_104936.jpg

20211029_104938.jpg

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I would get it chemically cleaned,get all the oil gallery plugs removed and cleaned,

Zia
Will all be sorted along with the head etc.

This will be a brand new engine (or as close as possible).

Might as well do it right this time.

Eng1

Looking good , I would still look to getting a nice cylinder head job done , to pop on to the assembled block .
I think some alteration to the valve size ratio and port /polish would give some nice benefits free up some horsepower and cooler running .
Not that expensive and better than new .
Some nice valve guides fitted again to aid cooling .
And CC the chambers to balance each cylinder .
-
It’s one of the cheapest hp to £ gains you can get with no downsides - All upsides

Eng1

The reason I suggest a rework of the head is that it will give improvements and basically return to better than new .
G&S valves are my preferred suppliers , they do Colisbro valve guides to replace the iron originals , less prone to cracks , less friction ,far better heat transfer to the water system and will last years - better with unleaded fuels too ( this tends to wash) oil films.
They will also make valves to any spec and much cheaper than any other makers (I would suggest a slightly larger exhaust valve to aid scavenge) but stock intakes - this would also aid cooling and give more constant temp.
Chemical clean and valve seats done to a multi angle , 3 angle to aid heat transfer ,port and polish and maybe a slight skim to get it all square again .
As a guess 50hp gain , super reliable at high rpms and at least 15 years without any issues with a cooler temp - total around sub £1000
All assuming your head is crack free and not too warped .
Yes it’s another grand but in my opinion worth it for a trouble free future proof engine enhancing what Nissan already made

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Looking good , I would still look to getting a nice cylinder head job done , to pop on to the assembled block .
I think some alteration to the valve size ratio and port /polish would give some nice benefits free up some horsepower and cooler running .
Not that expensive and better than new .
Some nice valve guides fitted again to aid cooling .
And CC the chambers to balance each cylinder .
-
It’s one of the cheapest hp to £ gains you can get with no downsides - All upsides
I'll be looking at some cylinder work, but I won't be going mad on it.
I'm not wanting to run mad power, but a better breathing engine is always a bonus imo!