Project Shit Box (2021)

Eng1

I’m sure they will do a fine job on it , are they doing the complete engine assembly? As they can balance crank and skim flywheel and rebalance at the same time and check cylinder head ,measure ,skim and cc it etc -
All the machine shop needs in one place helps , they skimmed my flywheel - no issues at all since
I know it all costs and no future car buyer ever pays for the job being done correctly, but many pay for it not being done correctly -
Lol

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’m sure they will do a fine job on it , are they doing the complete engine assembly?
No someone is hopefully going to do all that up here near Manchester.

They people I'm using are Nissan people so they should have it all in order once the block is returned!

Eng1

The assembly side of things is pretty straightforward, once you have a squared up block all nice and clean .
It only becomes an issue if something is out , crank , rods , etc , excessive play - that’s where having a full spec machine shop available helps , resizing and rebalancing or just making a thrust washer to spec .
If you have cylinder head issues , I can give you my head guy contact (he is fabulous) and if you need valves I can recommend G&S valves , who can make just about any spec valve you want (good prices too )
Both have decades of experience at the very highest level

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
JE pistons ordered from the US, should be here in 3 weeks!

I'll collect the block once they've arrived and drop off with chaps @ FJ Payne

Eng1

I’m sure they will do a good job , I came across FJpaynes many year ago (40 or so) , I lived in the area and my brother in law was working at Tom Walkinshaw (TWR) on the racing Jag V12 .
TWR had an engine in there for machine work , I popped in and they were scanning the block , laser I think ,and building a 3 D image of the bores .
I can’t remember exactly what they were doing but it was part of a project to do with piston ovality .
Pistons are not perfectly round as people think but oval due to wear under load .
There is no substitute for experience and such companies have it in spades .. we are lucky the UK still (just) has a few such places and skills , but they don’t market themselves well and the world works by the Internet nowadays .

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Pistons have arrived.

My old block is in my garage ready to be taken down to the shop for its new sleeves.

Fingers crossed it won't take a month plus to get sorted! :)

20210811_175628[1].jpg

20210811_173324[1].jpg

vpulsar

Wow I didn't realize parts supplies had got so bad since I've been away, I'm glad I started mine 8 years ago, still not got it back but hay I started lol.

I'm also hoping to have more luck with the nistune, I'll get mine mapped properly by Horsham developments when the time comes.

I can't afford anything fancy like my motec in my last car.

Good luck with the parts hunt though dude, I had a few good blocks I had to skip when I got divorced unfortunately.

Rob