Raising the compression?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'll have to go and look at mine now.

Have you had the head replaced? That might explain why the plate is blank- it's waiting for you to stamp the engine number back onto it to show that you still have the same engine you used to.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Stolen engine?

Are you looking in the right place. It's on the end of the block vertically near the bell housing. Fairly easy to see.

Look behind the wastegate hose after it's come out from behind the top mount (below the dizzy) and it should be there.

Last edited:
L

levin

i bought my car though, and that engine was in it
i've looked at the spot suggested by the manual and took the pic thats in the first post
just right of the actuator, left of the gearbox, it reads vertically "SR20" , then theres a little space below , then even lower theres a rectangular space where i guess the number should be ???

looks like my engine number has gone, cant imagine it was never stamped
thanks for confirming geoff pine

Last edited by a moderator:

vss irvine

if you have no engine number on the block, it means your block has been replaced at some point using a brand new block from nissan.
these come without any id.

if it was ground off youd be able to tell. if it was a stolen engine, for them to get it looking so flat, they would have to take the block out and strap it to a milling machine!

vss irvine

do you have an engine number on the v5 documents from the uk? if so then i would just stamp the block with that number, or since your in europe you could probably just make up a number and use that when you re-register the car in your country.

as long as it has the same id as the documents. but make sure whoever does the stamping on the block, does it well!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's what I meant - OK so I said 'head' instead of 'block', but it makes sense that when you buy a new one it's blank.
You get to put the old ID on it to prove that you haven't transplanted the engine (and that the car is still the same one you said it was).

I say stamp it with something like 007!

L

levin

must be a new block then, seems unlikely nissan forgot to stamp this block, and the place where it should be is perfectly flat and smooth and .. unmarked :lol:
on the V5 is no engine number listed either that i could use
thanks you all for the helping out
cheers

Hannie

Gearbox

Following on from my clutch bleeding thread, what would be the main cause of having a 'stiff' first and second gear? Thanks.

Hannie

Im sure I changed the oil about 2 years ago while it was stood, will have to check the colour and see if it is new stuff.

R

riske

LSD Oil Replacement???

Can anyone steer me in the direction on how much oil it takes and where you fill it up??:help:

Looking to do this on Saturday along with new oil in the gearbox/transfer and engine. Help is always greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

PULSGTI-R

the gearbox and the rear diff are ok to change you got a drain plug on bottom of the gear box its a half inch ratchet size thing think its the same on the diff
now to refill them just pump the oil through the refill plug till it comes out

now to the tbox kinda the same way but its more awkward

Engine oil: 3.7L
GearBox oil: 4.2L
TBox oil:1.5L
LSD: 1.2L

hope this makes sense for you m8

R

riske

Thanks very much!

All i need to do now is buy a further 5.8 litres of oil! Oilman only seems to sell 1L of silkolene gearbox oil. So have to buy it seperatley in litre bottles?!!

Cheers again

ricey

qaufe gear box

hi sorry about spelling but were is the best place to deal with this and roughly what sort of money we talk?

sorry for the stupid ?:roll: