Oil advice and recommendations here

projectgtir

This is probaly going to sound dumb, but what are the differences between fully synthetic motorcycle oil and fully synthetic car oil .
And can bike oil be used in cars and visa versa in an emergency.

dotalot

Bulk oil temp I would say around 150 to 160degc with prolonged use. If you are getting temps that high, something else is going to go bang before the oil lets go.

Cheers

Guy
I was just under the impression that if it went over 120ish the oil would break down. Im not getting those temps in normal running, but on the track a couple of times i have pitted early. So the oil can handle that sort of temperature no problems then?

Mist-R

Hi Guy, how much oil will a pulsar engine take? Just about to order 5L of Silkolene Pro s 10w-50 and dont want to not have enough. Also, what gearbox oil should i get?

oilman

This is probaly going to sound dumb, but what are the differences between fully synthetic motorcycle oil and fully synthetic car oil .
And can bike oil be used in cars and visa versa in an emergency.
There isn't a huge difference, but it is an important one. Car oils contain friction modifiers that are unsuitable for certain bikes (ones with wet clutches as it will cause clutch slip). That means that you can use bike oils in cars without a problem, but need to be careful with putting car oils in a bike

oilman

I was just under the impression that if it went over 120ish the oil would break down. Im not getting those temps in normal running, but on the track a couple of times i have pitted early. So the oil can handle that sort of temperature no problems then?
over 120 is fine with a good oil, something like Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS or Gulf Competition will take that all day long in 10w-60, in fact 10w-50 would be absolutely fine and because it would flow quicker, it should dissipate the heat better and therefore keep the temperatures lower.

oilman

Hi Guy, how much oil will a pulsar engine take? Just about to order 5L of Silkolene Pro s 10w-50 and dont want to not have enough. Also, what gearbox oil should i get?
5L should be enough and leave a little for a top up.

The ones to use in the gearbox are the Redline MT90, Motul Gear 300, Millers CRX NT and Amsoil Synthetic Gear Oil. You'll need just over 4L for a full change

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90.aspx

Cheers

Tim

Pulsey

Make: Nissan Pulsar GTiR
Engine size/type 2.0 16v s20DET
Miles: 48k
Any mods: No major mods to engine
Type of use (road/track) Daily Road

what engine would you recommend for engine and box and rear diff (also im using a quick shifter and geting crunching in 5th at high RPM i was told to use millers i think it was for box? it had a service before leaving the docks 2months ago in japan as they do so im thinking they just dump any old oil in

also just to bear in mind i am looking at twidling with engine (nistune ecu/boost,fuel pump,front mount etc)

does this sound ok to you?
silkolene pro s 10w-50 for engine
Millers Oil ep 75w-80 Gl5

cheers

retepetsir

Do you stock oil filters for the Pulsar? I've not managed to find one on your site but I'd be interested in ordering one along with oil and spark plugs.

Thanks