Oil advice and recommendations here

oilman

I don't take it as rude, don't worry. I always check ebay for prices on things, but with the amount of times I've been ripped off, I tend to avoid it now and I often find other places are cheaper and better service. Which reminds me, I bought some stuff off ebay a fortnight ago and don't have it yet.

hello oilman, just a quick one; I gave my car an oil change last night but the only fully synthetic i could get at the time was the Castrol Magnatec 5W30. It's like piss when i poored it in lol. Just checking this is ok for my car (Pulsar). It seems to love it now, really smooth feeling now and engine noise reduced.
Cheers.

watoga

the only fully synthetic i could get at the time was the Castrol Magnatec 5W30
Is 5w30 oil not far too thin at higher engine temperatures? I'd be a little more worried once the operating temperatures begin to rise. Guy (Oilman) will be able to help much more accurately than I can!

Dave

oilman

I wouldn't use the magnatec 5w-30 as it's a pretty basic oil. It's sold as synthetic, but isn't really (I think of it as more of a semi) and it is too thin. When your engine gets hot, it will break down pretty quickly. The reason it feels smooth is that the oil is 100% mineral based, so it absorbs vibrations and sound, but it's not as good a lubricant as proper full synthetic oils.

skiddusmarkus

I am looking for something with fast warm up and good up to say 120-130C.I have a 13 row oil cooler and the temps aren't getting above 70 degrees c on the road.From reading this thread I am thinking a 5w40w sounds right for me?

T

tonygtir

im building my engine at the minute and im just wondering what is the best oil to use its a forged engine all head work is done so will be running big power and im not easy on cars when drivin but i hav always let the car warm up before drivin it hard.
ive a quife gearbox aswell what is the best oil for it and the diff
cheers Tony:)

oilman

I am looking for something with fast warm up and good up to say 120-130C.I have a 13 row oil cooler and the temps aren't getting above 70 degrees c on the road.From reading this thread I am thinking a 5w40w sounds right for me?
At those temps, yes 5w-40.

Cheers

Guy

oilman

im building my engine at the minute and im just wondering what is the best oil to use its a forged engine all head work is done so will be running big power and im not easy on cars when drivin but i hav always let the car warm up before drivin it hard.
ive a quife gearbox aswell what is the best oil for it and the diff
cheers Tony:)
I would go 10w-50 for the engine, either the Silkolene/Fuchs Pro S or the Millers CFS 10w-50 here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

For the gearbox and diffs the quaife approved Syn5 75w-90 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

Cheers

Guy

warpspeed

The Nissan workshop manual says i should fit API SG grade engine oil, which oil's are these as when i look on you site they seem to be motorbike and classic car oils? Are the SL/CF/ACEA A3/B3 better than the SG grade?
My engine runs on purely on LPG (i have removed the petrol system) the car will see 2-3 trackdays a year and fairly hard use the rest of the time, what oil would you reccomend?

Thanks for your time

oilman

API SG is an old old spec, thats why you are not finding many. Things have moved on since then so look at an API SJ and API SL.

Cheers

Guy