Oil advice and recommendations here

oilman

I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Guy

Hi mate, id be gratefull for an oil reccomendation?
I currently have mobil 1 15W 50 in my engine, is this ok?

Make/model: Nissan pulsar RNN14
Year: 1994
Engine size/tyoe: 2000cc turbo (SR20DET)
Mods: Full exhaust sytem, Hks Induction kit, Bleed valve (running 1bar) and an adjustable FPR.
Current oil: As above

The car is for normal road use. Oil pressure atm sits just about 4 on the gauge when driving n motorway at 80 and temp is about 70, sometimes goes up to 80.

Cheers.

Cheers mate
Yer i always let it warm up first. After a long drive though when shes nice and hot, the top end gets a bit tappy when sat at tickover.

steve963

i have gtir 1993 55K miles and run 1.2bar
engine oil is silkolene pro s 10w-50
oil gets to 100-110 degrees, when really giving it some
1. is this oil ok at this temp, or is it too thin?
2. can i run prolonged at this temp?
3. what oil temp is too cold for this oil?

oilman

The Pro S 10w-50 is perfect, it will run around all day long at 150degc without breaking a sweat!

You want to get it above or around 70degc to get it up to temp properly.

Cheers

Guy.

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
i put redline 15w 50 in last week heard it was very good the car is running 1.5 bar boost what u think tanx m8 :thumbsup:

oilman

If you are using a proper synthetic like the Silkolene Pro S or the Motul 300V then they will take around 140degC in the sump for prolonged periods

Cheers

GTiRlover

I am using a 10w60 fully synthetic oil in my car (Pulsar GTiR) and my main question is how long should I leave it before I can start driving enthusiastically? I know the 10w60 oil is thicker than a 10w50 alternative so is it advisable to allow for this and let the oil warm up for longer than the 10w50?

Also what are your thoughts about letting the car idle for a few minutes before driving off to allow the oil to circulate the engine properly? Is it necessary or am I just wasting petrol?!

Thanks

youngsyp

GTiRlover said:
I am using a 10w60 fully synthetic oil in my car (Pulsar GTiR) and my main question is how long should I leave it before I can start driving enthusiastically? I know the 10w60 oil is thicker than a 10w50 alternative so is it advisable to allow for this and let the oil warm up for longer than the 10w50?

Also what are your thoughts about letting the car idle for a few minutes before driving off to allow the oil to circulate the engine properly? Is it necessary or am I just wasting petrol?!

Thanks
The 10w60 is only thicker at higher temperatures, not from cold. That's the '10' part of the oil viscosity.

In my opinion, you should let the oil get to at least 70 degrees C before you start extending the engine through the rpm range and, putting it under high load levels.
I don't use any boost or extend the engine above 3k rpm until the engine oil is at least 70 degrees C. I've done that with every car I own and with the Pulsar for around 6 years. It doesn't use any oil now or ever and the top and bottom end are no noisier than when I bought the car, 57k miles ago.

As for leaving the car idling, you're wasting petrol. Oil pressure should build almost as soon as the car starts. That and the right oil for the car and climate it's used in, along with being gentle with it, until the oil is at least warm, will be more than enough to preserve the engine.
The engine designer would also have designed it, with cold starts etc.. in mind.

Another thing to consider if you do let the car idle, to build oil temp, is that the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oil will not get up to temp, with the car stationary.
All those parts will be taking high levels of load when you put your foot down and will also need the oil up to temperature, to have maximum protection and service life !

Just my 2 cents....

Paul

P.s. Just to add, I'll be switching to a 5w40 at the next oil change, for the better cold start protection. My oil has never been over 110 degrees C so, I don't need the extended temp range of the 10w50. Although, I'm sure the 5w40 will offer good protection up to and slightly beyond 130 degrees C.

Last edited:

davey red.r

what would you reccomend oil wise, for my quaife box? im going to change oil soon.
ps how often are some of yous changing gearbox oil:? 3k for engine, whats the lifespan for the box?

thanks
davey;-)

P

pulsarboby

box will Xplode before you need change oil davey:lol: :lol:

oilman

GTiRlover said:

Thanks
The 10w-60 should be up to temp in around 5-10 mins, it does not take long. Do you have any idea on your oil temps?

No need to sit there on ideal, it will be circulating fine after a few seconds, just take it easy till up to temp.

Cheers

Guy.

oilman

youngsyp said:
The 10w60 is only thicker at higher temperatures, not from cold. That's the '10' part of the oil viscosity.

In my opinion, you should let the oil get to at least 70 degrees C before you start extending the engine through the rpm range and, putting it under high load levels.
I don't use any boost or extend the engine above 3k rpm until the engine oil is at least 70 degrees C. I've done that with every car I own and with the Pulsar for around 6 years. It doesn't use any oil now or ever and the top and bottom end are no noisier than when I bought the car, 57k miles ago.

As for leaving the car idling, you're wasting petrol. Oil pressure should build almost as soon as the car starts. That and the right oil for the car and climate it's used in, along with being gentle with it, until the oil is at least warm, will be more than enough to preserve the engine.
The engine designer would also have designed it, with cold starts etc.. in mind.

Another thing to consider if you do let the car idle, to build oil temp, is that the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oil will not get up to temp, with the car stationary.
All those parts will be taking high levels of load when you put your foot down and will also need the oil up to temperature, to have maximum protection and service life !

Just my 2 cents....

Paul

P.s. Just to add, I'll be switching to a 5w40 at the next oil change, for the better cold start protection. My oil has never been over 110 degrees C so, I don't need the extended temp range of the 10w50. Although, I'm sure the 5w40 will offer good protection up to and slightly beyond 130 degrees C.
Paul,

Spot on.

Cheers

Guy.