Wilwood v HiSpec

P

pulsarboby

why dont you just fit a bias valve if your using it on track? will save you some dosh and works a treat!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
why dont you just fit a bias valve if your using it on track? will save you some dosh and works a treat!

:thumb: I can't fault your logic. My original reasoning was I can fit some new discs and push the calliper out pretty easy myself. I can probably do a bias valve but never done one before. You could argue I'd need both anyway thinking about it more so the best starting point is the bias valve rather than the discs,

kenan

South West Regional Rep
So what size wheels are required to fit over 300 and 310 brakes then? I was advised not to get bigger wheels then 16's for a Pulsar

P

pulsarboby

their easy to fit, decent bias valve £30 from ebay.
you need to cut brake pipe link from front to rear and either run a short bit of pipe to car interior (keeping it as low as possible) and connect brake bias! obviously you will need unions to either end where you have cut pipe aswell unless you run pipe internally, but thats not to everyones taste!
bleed brakes making sure you bleed bias valve aswell, make sure its fully open before you bleed the rears.
job done.
works very well on track as braking starts to get very skittish after 20 minutes of punishment, even if you have bigger dics calipers etc!

youngsyp

kenan said:
So what size wheels are required to fit over 300 and 310 brakes then? I was advised not to get bigger wheels then 16's for a Pulsar
You'll easily get those size discs under 16" wheels (obviously depending on the wheel design). I have 308mm discs under my 16" Compomotive MO's !

P

pulsarboby

kenan said:
same here kenan! i was told the same thing, so i would like to know aswell? i have 300mm discs so should i go for 15's, 16's or 17's
as it said in other thread big wheels more top end but less acceleration
smaller wheels give lower top speed but more acceleration
so i would have thought 15 or 16 would be best! but i dont think 15's will fit over 300 brakes?
or am i wrong???

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
same here kenan! i was told the same thing, so i would like to know aswell? i have 300mm discs so should i go for 15's, 16's or 17's
as it said in other thread big wheels more top end but less acceleration
smaller wheels give lower top speed but more acceleration
so i would have thought 15 or 16 would be best! but i dont think 15's will fit over 300 brakes?
or am i wrong???
I think its generally accepted that you should use 15" wheels at least for 285mm discs and 16" wheels at least for 300/310mm discs.

300/310mm will be plenty big enough (with suitable calipers) for even a high powered R !

I use the OE calipers on my cross drilled big disc kit and they are excellent for spirited road driving. They have good feel, good bite and good stopping power. I also use Mintex M1144 pads on the front and Pagid fast road pads on the back with Goodridge lines. If I tracked the car regularly though, I would probably invest in some 4 piston calipers up front !

As for big wheels affecting top speed, take that with a pinch of salt as, you should always match the rolling circumference of your tyre and wheel set up, to closely match the OE set up. If you don't, you will get highly inaccurate speedo readings and the acceleration and/or top speed of the car will be adversly affected. For example, the OE tyre will be a 195/55-14 (generally). If you have 15" rims, a 195/50-15 tyre would be best. 16" rims, a 215/40-16 tyre would be best. For a 17" rim, a 205/40-17 tyre would probably be best.

Of course, the bigger the rim, the heavier the wheel and tyre combo will be. This will affect handling, suspension and steering component life and possibly acceleration and braking ! This is why generally, a 16" wheel is the maximum size recommended for the R.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

Mmmm so you think i will def need 16s as i have hispec 4 pots as well? car will be on track a lot!

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Thanks again guys.

I'v got 283 under my 15s on my 205 and it's bleeding close to the caliper

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
Mmmm so you think i will def need 16s as i have hispec 4 pots as well? car will be on track a lot!
You may get them under 15" rims, it depends on the wheel design and if you want weights on the inside of the rim or not ! :lol:

P

pulsarboby

cheers! think i will have to go for 16 going by what kenan just said!
got every other size of wheel barring 16
a se of 14s
set of 15 oz set of 15 multispoke
set of 17 foxes
BUT NO BLOODY 16S:cry: ANYONE GOT ANY THEY WANT TO SWAP??

Keira

pulsarboby said:
their easy to fit, decent bias valve £30 from ebay.
you need to cut brake pipe link from front to rear and either run a short bit of pipe to car interior
pretty sure you'd have to re-do the whole braking system on the gtir as we have a bias valve built into the dis block on bulkhead and im pretty sure the car runs a split diagonal circuit, front left, rear right and front right, rear left.

sticking a bias valve straight into the rear lines isn't going to do anything, the front rear bias has already been split at the dis block ??? so to be able to adjust the braking bias on a valve you'd need a complete new set up.

not something i've ever worried about tbh, just thinking out loud ;) if mine needs better braking i'll stick a parachute on it :shock: :lol: