Wilwood v HiSpec

B

B12-power

Last year I bought 4-pots wilwood midilite calipers with 285discs for my Pulars N14 GTI at Rally Design.

I did 3 trackdays since and had no problems with the brakes.
But last month I did close look to the calipers and I saw that all the dust-seals were fully burned away! I contacted the supplier (RD) and they said to me that the calipers aren't for track use!

What the f*ck , when I bought the calipers a label was hanging on the calipers where the following text was written on:
"These calipers are NOT for street use!"
"These calipers are for high performance racing only"

I only did 3 trackday (5 times 20 minutes) only! I have air-hoses to the calipers to cool them. And I didn't abuse the brakes (I braked at 70% or something like that).

Another issue, they told me that the calipers where new, but that other manufactures would make brake-pads for the calipers, but now, a year later, I still can't buy Ferodo, Mintex, Hawk, EBC for example.

I'm very disappointed in the wilwoods....and also in Rally Designs for the answers I got....."calipers aren't for track use!" For what use is the brake-kit then? not street and not track???

GTiRlover

Gotta admit I am edging towards the HiSpec setup at the moment...

I contacted HiSpec today and asked if a discount would become available if more than 1 kit was bought at once. They explained that if 3-5 kits were ordered they would offer 5% off each kit and 10% if 5+ were ordered.

The price they gave me for the kits are as follows, each including the Billet 4 caliper, grooved rotors, bells (not with the 285 kit as it is one piece), mounting brackets and all nuts and bolts needed. They do not include pads or hoses...

285 kit- £528+ VAT
300 kit- £742+ VAT
310 kit- £770+ VAT
325 kit- £803+ VAT

The above are prices before any discount has been applied. If anybody is interested let me know so that we can arrange things. Nice one

JIMMYBACK

Mr GTiR said:
I've have 310mm Willwoods and have no problem at all. Done a track day with them and they were fine. The only problem i had on track was locking up but that's down to me braking to hard LOL.

Anyway, not had mine squeal or leak fluid from the s/s braided hoses.

Jimmy - get them fitted by someone who know's what their doing :p

Rishi - I'm sure i've seen in the Demon Tweeks Motorsport catalogue that other manufactures do different pads for them. Coxie is running Red stuff pads in his.
i fitted the brackets for the willwoods no problem my old man bled the brakes and fitted the new braided hoses as the first set where too damn long:shock: :evil: .now there just leak i dont get it there not corss threaded at all........my old man did mechanics for over 25 years and was a mot tester so theres no way he fitted them wrong even paz can fit them there just fcuked:doh: :shock: :oops: :evil: :evil:

O

Odin

You get what you pay for in this world I'm afraid and if you buy cheap you get what it says on the tin :der: , I've never had any problems from my AP's they cost at least twice as much as those 5hite wilwood brake kits, My disc's have never warped my pads have never squealed and I can choose from countless different pad compounds.

Oh and they stop me lap after lap with out worring about how hard I brake in to corners all with no fade what so ever 8) :thumbsup: .

So stop whining like a bunch of little girls, Your getting the performance you paid for :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: .

Rob

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Ant seems to think his back discs might be cracking as when he brakes he gets an awful scrapping noise which sounds like his pedals going to break.....and theyre willwoods :roll: :cry:

antgtir

Fronts are the Wilwoods.

310mm Discs, im not 100% sure as to whether i can see small cracks starting to appear but the stopping power is fine, apart from a creeking noise when i pump the brakes (which i might add you dont do in normal driving so isn't a problem) they are fine, i haven't done any track time on the though.

Ant.

*13*

I'm with Thunder God in recommending AP... I've never had any problems at all.

MarkTurbo

I looked at the wilwoods on Creedys car the otherday and the discs look like they're thinner than standard discs :shock: :der:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’ve caned the utter shite out of mine down lanes and a recent track day, and I feel that they offer a decent feedback through the peddle and overall decent braking ability.

Granted I’ve worked them hard and they’ve now cracked, but that’s not stopped me from buying new disc’s from Rally Design for around £30 each (280mm disc's) and having some groves machined into them just to help with removing the glazing that happens.

As Rob says you do pay for what you get, however not everyone can splash out on AP’s however good they are, Willwood’s are great for “street” or “lanes” driving and haven’t let me down yet.

If your on a budget then I think they certainly do the job and are worth the £££ you pay for.

As for hi-spec when I spoke to them some months ago about a group buy they did say that Volvo brake pads are also the same fitment as one the offer for the GTiR.

Until I feel that I need to upgrade what I’ve got now they’ll say on the car, but time will tell after a few laps round Nurburgring in August whether they can handle it!

youngsyp

If you do a search on Google for Hi Spec related pages, you'll see numerous bad reports with regards to their customer service. Personally, I'd steer clear from them !

Have you thought about a Brembo kit from Godspeed ? Iirc, they retail for about £595 for the discs, calipers, pads and all fittings. As long as you keep on Ian's case, you should get them pretty painlessly too !

Just a thought or two !

jonee

my willwood discs have lasted over three years and have had 11 sets of pads on them. ive had these discs cryo treated and with no problems. the car only does track days so i'm not fussed about the " grinding/ squealing noise". ive had those discs glowing after extended very hard use with no fade at all. i cant remeber the guys who i took out in my car at bruntingthorpe and brands hatch but one of the comments about my brakes was " my eyes hurt whislt you were braking" . the dust seal are made of rubber not asbestos they are to me just another sevicable item, every third set of pads i change the dust seals.
i know its all down to personal preferance but i had hi spec and they nearly killed me at brands hatch at paddock hill bend, not funny.

good luck in your choice of brake set up

jonee

bracpan

jonee said:
my willwood discs have lasted over three years and have had 11 sets of pads on them. ive had these discs cryo treated and with no problems. the car only does track days so i'm not fussed about the " grinding/ squealing noise". ive had those discs glowing after extended very hard use with no fade at all. i cant remeber the guys who i took out in my car at bruntingthorpe and brands hatch but one of the comments about my brakes was " my eyes hurt whislt you were braking" . the dust seal are made of rubber not asbestos they are to me just another sevicable item, every third set of pads i change the dust seals.
i know its all down to personal preferance but i had hi spec and they nearly killed me at brands hatch at paddock hill bend, not funny.

good luck in your choice of brake set up

jonee
I agree with Jonee, Willwood are very good value for money and I use mine very hard like he does with no problems at all.....
Thunder God, you have asked for this as I have seen your video and what I saw your lucky if you have bedded your pads in yet......sorry mate but people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones...but I agree AP are fantastic brakes just cant afford them. I have to balance performance over cost and if a cheaper item does the job I have more money to spend on other things to make the car quicker. I dont care what name is printed on them as long as they do the job.

http://www.pbase.com/tirc/llysyfran&page=8

Have a look at these pics and you will see how far I push the car.

Cheers

Phil

O

Odin

I like the pic's fella 8) .

My pads are well bedded in thanks fella, I don't mind you ripping the pi55 out of my FIRST knock hill outing at all mate, I was pretty slow but I'd rather be slow and in one piece than try and keep up with people that know the track, And end up on my roof in the kitty litter :thumbsup: .

I'm sure my next effort will be quicker ;-) .

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

bracpan

Thunder God said:
I like the pic's fella 8) .

My pads are well bedded in thanks fella, I don't mind you ripping the pi55 out of my FIRST knock hill outing at all mate, I was pretty slow but I'd rather be slow and in one piece that try and keep up with people that know the track, And end up on my roof in the kitty litter :thumbsup: .

I'm sure my next effort will be quicker ;-) .

Rob
I am sure you will be, just remember to build up your speed, another thing I do is ask the Marshalls around the track how you are going, they are used to seeing all sorts racing and can give some very good feedback. The other thing is confidence in the car, as you can see from the pics I am getting used to the way the car behaves so can push it more and more. Plus you can then get out of problems if they happen as you know how it will respond.

Keep at it.

Phil

O

Odin

GTiR_Mic said:
Ah Rob did you pay for these yourself or where they on the car when you got them ;)

Mic

As you say I got them free when I bought my pulsar :thumbsup: and he even chucked in a free quaife as well:shock: ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

bracpan

Thunder God said:
As you say I got them free when I bought my pulsar :thumbsup: and he even chucked in a free quaife as well:shock: ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
You have 400 bhp AP's and a Quaife !!!! hate you....(Joking) well done the box is the next thing on my list as I need a higher 1st and 2nd plus closer ratios.
Also need a trailer, rollcage, G/F seats, fuel swirlpot, bigger Turbo, larger injectors Forge pistons etc etc etc .....think ill get some more lottery tickets...

Phil

O

Odin

bracpan said:
You have 400 bhp AP's and a Quaife !!!! hate you...

Did I tell you about my Motec M48 pro ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I found this site the other day mate ;-) , They have a fuel swirl pot on there and a few other bits you might be interested in :thumbsup: .

Rob