Wilwood v HiSpec

GTiRlover

Is there any major differences between the Wilwood Midilite caliper and the HiSpec Billet 4? Reason is Hispec want £890 for a 300mm kit including calipers, rotors, bells, brackets, braided hoses and pads but Wilwood offer a 4 pot kit without the hoses and pads for £565! Is the HiSpec kit really worth the extra?

Thanks

A

andrew

i would like to know this too as iam about to order one of the two sets?????

GTiRlover

Possible group buy? Or we could approach the manufacturer and ask if they will offer a discount if we buy two sets at the same time, a long shot but hey don't ask don't get...

CruiseGTi-R

Wilwoods on a 300mm discs should give you all the braking you'll ever need.

There are supercars which use Wilwood calipers and many motorsports teams use them too, so very highly rated.

HiSpec are said to be good, I can't comment personally on performance though.

When I spoke to them before buying a wilwood kit I suspected you pay for the nice gold billet finish.

mattygti-r

jimmys having huge problems with the wilwoods at the moment

the build / fit quality looks shite

his already had to have them fabricated again

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
GTiRlover said:
Is there any major differences between the Wilwood Midilite caliper and the HiSpec Billet 4? Reason is Hispec want £890 for a 300mm kit including calipers, rotors, bells, brackets, braided hoses and pads but Wilwood offer a 4 pot kit without the hoses and pads for £565! Is the HiSpec kit really worth the extra?

Thanks

WillWood 4POT / 310mm Disc - £565ex VAT = £663.88inc VAT

HiSpec 4POT / 300mm Disc - £675ex VAT = £793.13inc VAT

Willwoods are good but suffered from squeel under braking... Also from what i know you can only use Willwood's own Poly pads...

With the HiSpec you have a varied choice in pad from different manufactures...

Upto you though... Its not easy to find someone whose driven cars with both setups for a comparison...

Rishi

JIMMYBACK

brakes look ok to me but the fitting of the braided lines is a bit gay to say the least...where they fit into the caliper there leaking brake fluid everywhere.there tight as they can possibly got without snapping them off:shock: :doh: :evil: o what to do

GTiR_Mic

I have willwood 4 pots running 297mm discs. I used to have Red Stuff pads on but when they got a bit done I changed to Wilwood's own pads and they are crap. No feel in the pedal at all, they are good brakes and didn't have any problems under heavy braking.

Mic

bracpan

I cant say about the HiSpec, I have used the Willwood Midilites on my car for 3 years, with 310 discs, I also race on them and use them VERY VERY HARD often seen the disc a lovely shade of blue after a run. I used the softest pads for good grip when cold.
I have not had any problems with them at all ( they do squeel a bit after a race but only for a few mile) and would recomend them no problem. Also found them a perfect fit so cant understand anybody saying they had problems fitting them!!
I got my set from Rally Design who are also a good company to deal with.
I have also fitted larger rear discs in the last few months and that has made it even better, making the braking more balanced.
As I said I have given them a really hard test and probably use my brakes as hard as anybody and have found them a very good value peice of kit.
Cheers
Phil

CruiseGTi-R

Jimmy, did you get the funny little adaptor thing in your kit for the hoses, and fours hoses (two per side?) etc?

My hoses went on perfect, didn't really do em up tight either and they've not leaked?

GTiR_Mic

Bracpan

What pads are you using? I have the Plooy Q's and I find them rubbish for road use, there is no feel in the pedal at all.

Mic

maz

i bought the 310mm wilwood kit from rally design. the support and help on the phone was top notch. i was however going to buy the hispec ones, but one phone call to the company put me off as i got some grumpy old guy who was very dismissive.

the kit its self is great, and i dont understand the problem with the hoses that jimmy's having, they fit perfectly and didnt need much tightening at all and i have had no leaks so far.

as for squeeking, well a bit of copper grease on the back of the pad on installation and ive never had a peep from mine, also was in a situation the other night in which some very heavy braking was required and i was well chuffed with how they performed.

as soon as i get a track day in i'l be able to say how they perform in those conditions.

all in all, id say go for the wilwoods, as u will still have change left over to buy accessories like fluid and hoses etc. and i doubt u would be able to tell the difference between both sets.

bopper

I have used hi spec on a previous car and also a few friends have used them, mainly because they are just down the road from me. Anyway my advice go for the wilwood, had nothing but problems with wilwood tried there (unworpeable) disks and worped them, then my second set i cracked. so wilwood all the way

Mr GTiR

I've have 310mm Willwoods and have no problem at all. Done a track day with them and they were fine. The only problem i had on track was locking up but that's down to me braking to hard LOL.

Anyway, not had mine squeal or leak fluid from the s/s braided hoses.

Jimmy - get them fitted by someone who know's what their doing :p

Rishi - I'm sure i've seen in the Demon Tweeks Motorsport catalogue that other manufactures do different pads for them. Coxie is running Red stuff pads in his.

bracpan

GTiR_Mic said:
Bracpan

What pads are you using? I have the Plooy Q's and I find them rubbish for road use, there is no feel in the pedal at all.

Mic

I use the E,s they are much better from cold, and also take the heat as well. They are a very dusty pad and do squeel a bit after very hard use. But have a lot of feel.

Phil

Mr GTiR

It's the copper in the pads compound that make them squeal. Once the pads reach a certain temperature the copper starts to resonate which you can hear as a squeal.

GTiR_Mic

Cheers, when i spoke to RD they said the Q's would be fine from cold but I hate the feeling of them. Will look into getting another set of pads.

Mic