Wilwood v HiSpec

DanDud

Iv got the 310mm Wilwood kit and havnt had any problems what so ever. I find them fantastic apart from squeeling a bit when their very hot but theres no difference in the performance.

CruiseGTi-R

If you kick the living ****ing shitting mother ****ing f**kface out of your brakes then buy Brembo or AP Racing kits.

If you mostly drive on the road and now and again might do a trackday then Wilwoods are spot on.

I have 280mm wilwood kit and at 100mph+ they struggle to slow the car hard.

Mine are Nurburgring tested too :nerner:, not faffing sloooowly round Knockhill :-D :lol: . After a few laps they did eventually fade and grumbled enough to shake the shit out of the steering wheel.

310mm kit might be better, might just be the smaller dia that I've got , although same calipers so I guess heat would still affect them.

I really would love AP or Brembo's though.

Last edited:
A

another sunny

Might sound a stupid question, how much better would a 300mm hi-spec/willwood kit be than my ebc grooved discs with red pads?

Last edited by a moderator:

stumo

If you've got squealy brakes, chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads as this often helps.

There is also proper stuff made by Wurth to spray on the back of the pads which also helps (some people put copperslip on the backs )

MarkTurbo

bracpan said:
You have 400 bhp AP's and a Quaife !!!! hate you....(Joking)
I wouldnt worry about it Phil, all that and he still got whooped by a clio at knockhill :doh: Hi Rob :lol:

CruiseGTi-R said:
Mine are Nurburgring tested too :nerner:, not faffing sloooowly round Knockhill :-D :lol:
Didnt you crash at the Nurburgring though ;-) :lol:

mattygti-r

Major_Sarcasm said:
I have Hi-Spec 308mm 6-pots. Have to keep peeling my face off the steering wheel. Bit Squealy though.
yeah your car is quite impressive,

you got an absolute bargin

GTiRlover

another sunny said:
Might sound a stupid question, how much better would a 300mm hi-spec/willwood kit be than my ebc grooved discs with red pads?

I have the same brakes as you mate, well I did until I changed the pads and I can honestly say without doubt that a HiSpec 300mm kit would be 100 times better! I'm sure other members will back me up on that...

stumo said:
If you've got squealy brakes, chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads as this often helps.

There is also proper stuff made by Wurth to spray on the back of the pads which also helps (some people put copperslip on the backs )
Hmm, might give those a try :)

A

a11ova

im running 310mm wilwoods. performace is brill, but remember to check the clearance between calliper and disc as mine fouled. I found hi-spec a bunch of arses and tried to charge my card more than what they had originally quoted. Go willwoods :)

GTiR_Mic

Some one mentioned that there was no other pads avilable other than Wilwoods own pads.

I just spoke to Rally Design as I needed new pads and they do Mintex 1144's and EBC pads as well for them.

Mic

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Sorry to did up an old thread, but could you fit the GTR Brembros onto the pulsar hubs ???

youngsyp

kenan said:
Sorry to did up an old thread, but could you fit the GTR Brembros onto the pulsar hubs ???
With suitable mounting brackets ! You'd also need to get the correct size disk to go with the set up !

Might be less money and aggro to go with a Pulsar specific kit !

P

pulsarboby

ive got some hispec 4 pots on 3oomm bell discs!a lot of my mates who race WONT run wilwoods as like someone said you tend to get a lot of squeal under light braking, this may be pad noise but very limited to type of pad you can run.brembro are meant to be the best, but you pay the price for them.i havent fitted mine yet so cant give any feedback on them but if its any help i was advised to go for the hispecs pound for pound their the best vfm and theirs a much wider scope for different pads.hope this helps a bit mate!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I run 310 Wilwood Superlite's from rally designs (Previous owner). no complaints in performance. I might take Phil's advice and fit the E pads next time as indeed they do lack feel when cold. Easy to modulate when warm (Not a fan of ABS when driving for fun so this is important). The 310's give as much braking preformance as I need from +120mph (rare to get over that on a track even with 400hp) Without trying, the 300's might be a better starting point for the road as on my car the rear feels a little under braked. I will get round to upgrading those to 285mm at some point to remedy this but its another consideration.

Jim