Track day upgrades?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
brakes:
will the poly q pads i have fitted be good enough to start with or should i really get rid for something better?
iv never really heard of ATE brake fluid, so ill have a look and upgrade to or motul rbf 6000 if you feel the dot 5.1 will boil.

rear brakes: the rear has mintex pads i think, so the plan was to use them first and upgrade as required for the first track day, etc in the pulsar...

engine: Low budget fun car and fix it when it break :)

Only reason i wanted a top mount was i didnt like the oil lines being close to the the pulleys/belts incase anything moved on track :/
Brakes wise, depends on how you feel they perform? If you are getting fade then try a different pad, spongy peddle try ATE fluid?
There is some trial and error for you to do, it's not quite as easy as saying do this, it's what you want to spend and feel happy with.

Low budget fun is fine, as you've mentioned check the pistons and if/when things go pop then you can rebuild.

If your worried about the lines being near the pulley belts, route the lines round the gearbox (as I have done). Simple!

...on and if you can, wrap the manifold and down pipe.

Happy Trackdays :thumb:

STEVEN878

Brakes wise, depends on how you feel they perform? If you are getting fade then try a different pad, spongy peddle try ATE fluid?
There is some trial and error for you to do, it's not quite as easy as saying do this, it's what you want to spend and feel happy with.

Low budget fun is fine, as you've mentioned check the pistons and if/when things go pop then you can rebuild.

If your worried about the lines being near the pulley belts, route the lines round the gearbox (as I have done). Simple!

...on and if you can, wrap the manifold and down pipe.

Happy Trackdays :thumb:
yeah i guess there is a fair bit of trial and error in this car and a few kinks to work out. I really dont want to get bogged down preparing a car for track and it takes 3 years, like i see alot of other projects go.

thats the plan with the engine mate. Im a mechanic, my mates are mechanics, so rebuilding and repairing the car shouldnt be an issue....

ahhhh thatsa good idea! I want to keep the lines away from anything that rotates just incase.
do you have to get custom lengths of hose to route around the gearbox?

the standard manifold looks fun to wrap, but ill give it a go.

battery relocation kit paid for so, ill get that installed as soon as it gets here :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
do you have to get custom lengths of hose to route around the gearbox?
Kind of, all I did was get some string and mocked up where the hose would go from the filer to the cooler at the front of the engine.
Measured the string (added an extra foot in length to cover myself) and then went to my local Motorsport shop and asked them for 2 lengths of hosing at "x" size.

Job done!

STEVEN878

ok need help!

iv got the spark plugs out and i cant see any markings and the pistons are solid...no holes in the crown.

what does this mean???
note: there is a bit of carbon on the pistons....

STEVEN878

lol. just checking if i had standard pistons or not, but i cant find any marks on the piston crowns and i dont have access to a borescope where i am.

STEVEN878

Does anyone know how much weight can be removed from the rear of the car or know of anything else i can remove to reduce weight?

so far iv removed:
carpet
sound deadening
dynamat
door cards
rear quarter cards
lower part of the dash
centre console
tailgate
wiring
tailgate plastics
rear wiper motor
real numberplate surround
Front seats
rear seats
roof lining
pillar trims
mats

iv ordered bucket seats, received battery relocation kit (thanks pulsarboby), harnesses, air filter relocation parts, ngk spark plugs, oil filter, tow straps, etc.

also does anyone know where i can get replacement panels? I need a n/s outer sill and n/s/r arch/quarter as iv found a couple of holes :(

thanks
steven

STEVEN878

How far do you wanna go? I will be running a carbon floor. And there loads of metal to be cut out yet ;)

Carbon floor? That sounds pretty nice!

not sure how far i want to go, but i would like the car to weigh under 1100kg if possible...or is that a bit optimistic?

Jon Olds

Everybody raves about carbon, but I love 1mm aluminium for non structural stuff. Strip the insides out of the bumpers
Jon

STEVEN878

What can you cut out without compromising on structural integrity though?

good idea, i will get the rear bumper off and cut everything out and cut the centre out the front bumper.

Where else can i remove weight from the front end?
iv cut the crash bar, removed the front wheel arch liners, relocated the battery, relocated the washer bottle, removed the aircon system.

Jon Olds

I think its for you to find the weight. eg bumpers.........
Take it to bits, think about it. Put it back together..
To lose weight you will lose function. eg. my mk1 golf rally car. removed the heater. couldnt see on the next rally. added the heater back in ....doh...
Jon

STU666V

Removing the front inner wheel arches is fine until it rains and your engine gets soaked and dirty, mine were cut out and I welded new ones back in.
My cage is 38kg but I hope to be around 1000kg but there ain't going to be a lot left of the car.
you seen my thread?

Jon Olds

arch liners. yeah, with you. took them out my new seat rallycar. binned them by mistake. going to have to make some.
doh, again
Jon

STEVEN878

Removing the front inner wheel arches is fine until it rains and your engine gets soaked and dirty, mine were cut out and I welded new ones back in.
My cage is 38kg but I hope to be around 1000kg but there ain't going to be a lot left of the car.
you seen my thread?
Yeah mate iv read your thread a few times mate, but seems you've went a bit extreme with the peppermint pig! Ha.
iv only removed the plastic inner trims, not any metal, as i don't want to mess with the structure of the shell too much.

The other owners club im part of has a weight wennie thread where everyone weighs the parts they remove, to help folk get the weight down for track, but cant find anything like that so thought i would ask people who have done it.

1000kg is the dream for my car, but ill be happy at 1100kg without all the fibreglass panels.

I must have stripped about 200kg from the car by now, but the front end still seems very nose heavy in comparison to the rear (obvious reasons)
how much does a standard .R weigh?

Greygtir

200 is very optimistic. Especiall when your asking for advice on what next. Thers a whole load of brackets that are spot welded that can go, cut inside doors out. Boot lid. Etc etc

dont compare carbon that you get off ebay to alloy. Proper manucatured carbon is far superior to alloy in every way apart from cost. I suggested boot floor because alloy would be my next option. I was not gonna bin my heater but luckily im getting a heated screen.

I dont think ill be clise to 200 and i have nearly every bracket thats not in use gone. Im getting down To bare essentials soon. I wanna be sub 1000 wet weight.

STEVEN878

Maybe 200kg is a bit optimistic!
iv cut most of the spot welded brackets out, but wasnt sure how far to go with cutting inner panel skins?
ill get the hole cutter out and get rid of more metal from the boot lid and inner panels.
heaters are staying, electric windows have to stay at the moment (budget).

Carbon is expensive! I have a carbon bonnet on my other car which is painted so it doesnt stand out like a sore thumb and from renault the part is around £1700!
carbon roof skin is £2.5k plus fitting!

Any idea how much my car will roughly weigh at the moment anyone?

Greygtir

Loose hinges and use bonnet pins there only 8.50 loose both catches. Sound like you at the limit of what your willing todo.

Come on get some pics up