Project Shit Box (2021)

thesharp99

I’m glad I’ve stumbled on to your build thread, me and a mate have just bought back my first pulsar which I last saw 20 years ago and it’s been stood for the last 8. It’s not in great shape and needs more work than most people would probably consider, but it holds a special place in my heart.
The bodywork, welding and painting is going to be done by a professional, but we were considering building the engine ourselves whilst it’s out of the car, with 350bhp/400bhp being the intention.
Having read your thread briefly, it sounds like it’s probably a job better suited to someone with experience.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
So, I'm waiting on two bearings to arrive for the engine to be completed.

Then its done and I can look at getting it installed and running for 2023.

Then its suspension, ECU, MOT and no doubt a billion niggly bits to sort out before its road worthy

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Soooooooo.....

My engine is complete, however the build cost came in waaaaay over my budget!

So progress has now stopped until funds are available to pay for the thing. :confused:

However it is a completely brand new engine, head, block everything has been replaced for new items.

So hopefully once its been mapped, it should last me many years to come (he says to justify the cost)

Anyways... progress has now stopped until next year and we'll see how things are.
See if I can get things going again and getting this engine installed, mapped and running?

While trying to landscape my garden at a fraction of the budget now!

ETA: Road worthy 2024 I guess :confused:

20220812_151617.jpg
20220812_151813.jpg
20220812_151557.jpg

stugtir300

You'll get there,it'll come round in no time,mine is off the road to,for the foreseeable,it needs a bit of time and money spending on it,at the minute I aint got the time or the money.

Cathode

It’s a bit of tease Andy. But at least you’ve got a brand new engine together and it’s moving in the right direction.

johnny gtir

All progress and motivation tho now is it’s sitting there ready to fit . Nothing is cheap these days but good luck going forward

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I forgot to add, Owen Developments wanted £1000 for the rebuild of my turbo!

GT2871R, the list shows that ALL internal items are damaged and need to be replaced!

Plus the Forge actuator was not suitable for use and needs to be upgraded.

Was running metal bearing case and heat shield - This was warped apparently...

Happy Christmas!!!!!!

1669995355763.png

johnny gtir

Not suitable why or do you mean damaged or age ? Just curious as not as much now but used to be a few running them

Cathode

I run the same turbo with a forge actuator but with an upgraded spring . Haven’t had any issues for 2K so far.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Not suitable why or do you mean damaged or age ? Just curious as not as much now but used to be a few running them
They said it wasn't holding the boost and it was insufficient.

So, I'm reading that as a stronger spring is needed, but I'll look into that when it’s time to rebuild it and the engine is all paid off.

I run the same turbo with a forge actuator but with an upgraded spring . Haven’t had any issues for 2K so far.
I think this is my issue!

Out of interest, what spring do you us?

Cathode

I wish I could tell you Andy but I can’t give you an answer as I called forge to ask them to upgrade the spring in reference to my power goal and the turbo I am using, which is or was the same as your turbo but they never told me which or what spring it was he just said that he’d “upgrade the spring”

SKELLZ22

Ive read this thread as im in the same pickle with the need of an engine rebuild ...im wondering if i should go indepth like you and do a full restoration or a simple build still as we all know theres other things to get sorted on these car at this age. Also my thought plan for not do a simple build kepp it running and buy a sr20vet ...newer engine and much more modern update.
your opinion on this is welcomed

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Ive read this thread as im in the same pickle with the need of an engine rebuild
Depends what you are going to be doing with the car?

Is your car going to be for fun, racing/track activities, drag racing or just a massive powerhouse engine for branging rights?

My car will be on track most of the time, with some trips out at the weekend for some "fun weekend" driving or going to shows!
I've gotten to the point that my engine was very old and many of the parts had a hard life and it needed a full refurbishment.
Overall the cost was more than I expected, but its a brand new engine now and I'm happy it should take a beating for the next few years without any major issues.

I'm not bothered about a VET engine, no real point for me and parts are hard enough to source as it is.

SKELLZ22

Depends what you are going to be doing with the car?

Is your car going to be for fun, racing/track activities, drag racing or just a massive powerhouse engine for branging rights?

My car will be on track most of the time, with some trips out at the weekend for some "fun weekend" driving or going to shows!
I've gotten to the point that my engine was very old and many of the parts had a hard life and it needed a full refurbishment.
Overall the cost was more than I expected, but its a brand new engine now and I'm happy it should take a beating for the next few years without any major issues.

I'm not bothered about a VET engine, no real point for me and parts are hard enough to source as it is.
yea yea i understand ......mine will be more a fun car to drive and would do some drag racing when it comes up hopefully will be able to put down some low 12s or mid to high 11s with atleast 350+ hp.
can you share your build guide?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Engine Build:
Forged Pistons (86mm)
HKS Cams
Tomei Head Gasket
ARP Rod Bolts
Everything else is OEM/New

Should take 400bhp+ easy.
Nothing fancy in my build.