Project Shit Box (2021)

Eng1

It’s not about running mad power , but it’s not that much more effort to do a few improvements and put the head back to better than new .
Some things have to be done anyway , like crack checking and measuring any warp in the head ,cleaning .
So if the head is off anyway and valve seat are to be lapped , why not reangle seats , cc the chambers , check cams are parallel , new valves and guides and port .
Yes it’s more cash , but the head is the heart of the engine where all the action happens ,the heat and pressure are all created here .
This effects the whole engine in some way or another ,not just power but longevity.
The extra power is a side effect of that extra longevity, due to better heat paths and flow .
Aluminium melts around 650 C ,the combustion temp is way above this (but only intermittent ) hence the need for cooling paths - the better they are the lower the head temp peak - things like valve seat width form the heat path along with guides ,valves , plug threads and so on - the better the heat path more heat is transferred to the water /oil - less stress all around on gaskets ,pistons ,rings -and the head - a longer lasting engine .

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Progress is getting underway.

However I'm needing a new crank as mine looks like its seen better days and after a polish it seems like there a little too much damage to the journals after it wasn't cleaned from its previous rebuild.

If anyone has a standard crank, in good nick or maybe needing a little polish, I'm all ears!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Nothing major has really happended over Xmas and Jan.

Sourcing parts in advance along with a new crank has been the top issues.

However that crank has been found and finally I took delivery today (still needs to be checked on Monday)

Also my new paddle clutch rocked up this afternoon.
DHL very kindly left it on my driveway for someone to steal and never followed the delivery instructions I requested!!!!

Now the clutch and crank are here, work can start to take place to get things put back together.

Hopefully it'll be ready around March/April for installation not longer after then (fingers crossed)

Paddle Clutch.jpeg

Jon Olds

Good clutches, got one in my tarmac gtir. With sticky tyres on a hot day, you've got to be a little on the cautious side when full
launch is used. Anything else (stage start..) and it'll light up all 4 and slew its way to the first corner
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Good to know!

Mostly will be used in track, so hopefully won't be too aggressive on the gearbox!

Do you find it quite grabby or does it engage with reasonable ease?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Well, crank number two has been rejected due to too much wear damage.

I don't know if my engine builders are wanting a perfect crank or they are just super picky!!!!

Back to looking for another crank!

On the upside Turbo as gone into Owen Developments for an inspection, fingers crossed nothing major needs doing!

20220317_113411 (1)m.jpg

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
How's this coming along?
Very fustrating!

I'm on my 3rd crank now and its been the hardest part to get hold of. They all seem to have too much wear on them so they keep being rejected.

I've got one being sent to my engine builder this week, after that, I've got one more to look at (crank).

However if neither as fit or use, the engine build stops!

On the postititve side, the head is built, bearings are here, I just need a crank to finish the job!

20220318_113351.jpg

Last edited:

Cathode

Blimey!! all I'll say is, with all that bad luck with cranks it's about time you had some good luck! Fingers crossed for this time round.

MarkTurbo

That's good news :cool:

What was the issue with the others? Were they too far gone even to take a grind or was the engine builder just after a perfect standard sized crank?

Cathode

Thank goodness for that!! its good that they are picky to some extent but Jesus -tap dancing- Christ. Now they can crack on.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
That's good news :cool:

What was the issue with the others? Were they too far gone even to take a grind or was the engine builder just after a perfect standard sized crank?
Both!

They were quite scorn and grinding them isn't what they wanted to do as getting Nissan bearings for ground cranks was not available (apparently).

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Thank goodness for that!! its good that they are picky to some extent but Jesus -tap dancing- Christ. Now they can crack on.
Tell me about it, I understand what they were getting at and you could feel the grooves in some of the cranks with my fingernails.

They are very proud of their work and I guess they wanted to ensure (knowing its going on track too) the car would last as long as possible!

Cathode

No it's right, i may be incredulous but it needs to be top banana on or off track really. Why would you want anything less? It's just good that they've finally found one worth going ahead with.