*Testing of the K-Sport 304mm 6POT Brake kit*

O

Odin

the chief said:
also it takes about 6 weeks for a boat to get from china to here, hence then delivery time. yes you could put them on a plane but that would cost more
I'm sure another factor would be fitting in a run of these calipers and brackets into the factory's schedule ;-) .

Rob

Kev@Apex

I'm off on holiday (Well trying to finish building my car for Time Attack) till the 3rd March, but there are still people at the office who can help :)

01274 683633

This is the reply I gave to John's PM

KevD said:
Hi John,

It comes down to how the cost of a kit breaks down.

Machine time is a large factor, and a 6 pot 304mm kit still requires the same amount of CNC machining of the caliper and bell that a 356mm kit does.

The materials of course cost slightly less, but this is not so much of a factor, but does start to show on some of the bigger kits.

286 - 795
304 - 825
330 - 855 - £30/kit differance between these

356 - 999
380 - 1550
400 - tba

The prices are accross the board, on all cars, and were set by the factory (well the price we pay was set there, and has a knock-on effect).

I am doing what I can to make the kits work on the Pulsar, the modifications made to the bells were as much as the design of the Pulsar allowed without also suppling a new lower arm and suspension setup.

I am not sure what more I could have done? I cannot redesign the caliper for 1 vehicle, the caliper is for use accross over 400 cars.

I only started the GB once the testing was "complete" a issue was then found and I held the group buy up so we could make sure that the kit we supplied was the best possible fit and function for the Pulsar.

I have always done the testing in public and been 100% transparent to the entire GTiROC about the brakes, testing and Group buy - with updates on the thread when anything changed.

Kev

John said:
Kev, in relation to the price of the 6 pots, how come there is such a small difference in price between the 6 and 8 pots?

Personally the small difference in price seems to me as if you know the 8pots are doomed as no one will want to run spacers and your just pricing the 6 pots at the same sorta price.

Also because of the 8 pots not being fit for purpose I feel completely messed around and that my time has been wasted, Im now going to miss trackdays which I planned to goto because of the April delivery date that was promised at the start of GB being a complete no go.

I work in retail and I know how things work, I know if I had someone spending nigh on £700 I wouldnt be making excuses to gain more time, you said you would be doing everything to make this kit work, spacers/longer wheel studs imo is not something that works.

I dont mean to be an a-hole but I just need some answers at this point.

Cheers, John.

Kev@Apex

I know more about the competition than most, as a series sponsor I have a full entry list.

I also have Zen Performance running KSport brakes all round in 2008, as is Kev Atkins - so thats 2 of last years championship winning cars running KSports for 2008.

I think I have 40 KSport equipped cars this year :)

Makes me smile :)

Personally I'm aiming for 400bhp/tonne - 440bhp 1100kg

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
KevD said:
I think I have 40 KSport equipped cars this year :)

Personally I'm aiming for 400bhp/tonne - 440bhp 1100kg
It was almost 41 cars. :roll:

Well I hope that some of the underdogs shine this year and big power boys have egg on their faces. :-D

Interested in seeing that GT3RS on track
8)

nitrosgti-r

anyone got the offset of the 6 pot kit please? ie the measurment from the rotor to the the outside edge of the calipers?

ta

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
nitrosgti-r said:
anyone got the offset of the 6 pot kit please? ie the measurment from the rotor to the the outside edge of the calipers?

ta
I'm away this week, but I’ll check this weekend unless Kev can answer that for me?

MORF114

Dont know if i have missed it in the thread somewhere but i cant seem to find what offset your wheels are and what your rim width is?

All i could see was 16" enkei.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
MORF114 said:
Dont know if i have missed it in the thread somewhere but i cant seem to find what offset your wheels are and what your rim width is?

All i could see was 16" enkei.
Your right, I'll measure them this weekend when i'm back ;-)

Rune_GTI-R

fubar andy said:
...and with a little bravery it seems to have worked. They were very stiff to tighten so I slackened them off and wrenched them up as tight as it could go. There was a few creaking noises when I did it :? but it seems to have done the trick. :)

Also an image of the gap from calliper to alloy (8mm)

What was the gap from calliper to alloy when using original caliper?

John

Rune_GTI-R said:
fubar andy: What was the gap from calliper to alloy when you were using original caliper?
Chances are he may not know (sorry if im wrong Andy) as he upgraded from Wilwoods to the 6 pots rather than standards to the 6 pots.

Rune_GTI-R

John said:
Chances are he may not know (sorry if im wrong Andy) as he upgraded from Wilwoods to the 6 pots rather than standards to the 6 pots.
Hmm ok.
If he or any one else could measure the distance between the outer surface of the bell to the outer suface of the disc and then from the disc to the outer surface of the caliper, then that would be VERY helpful :-D
And then I would now if this kit will clear my alloys or not...

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Not it’s ok John, your right I had the Wilwoods before I had the 304mm kit. When I acquired the car it was the 1st thing I bought for it! :roll:

So I can't really help on this question, however what offset are your wheels?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
davey red.r said:
hows the new brakes bedding in andy, youve had them a few month now havnt you?

davey;-)

Well....it’s off the road at the mo while I’m working on it :oops: :oops:

...but they are fine, I’ve established the right bolts for the caliper mounts now (via Kev at Apex), but as I’ve been away all week only been able to post this info today. :doh:

I've changed pads from k-sport streets to, DS2500 for trackdays and Mintex 1144's for normal road use as the DS2500's took too long to warm up.

Apart from that nothing more to report and has been uneventful at my end. Once its back on the road I will be giving them a hammering right away so i'll add more info. :-D

Rune_GTI-R

fubar andy said:
Not it’s ok John, your right I had the Wilwoods before I had the 304mm kit. When I acquired the car it was the 1st thing I bought for it! :roll:

So I can't really help on this question, however what offset are your wheels?
I have 7,5 x 16" BBS Postert Tuning wheels, ET 35 :)
Are there any chance that you could take the measures that I asked for in my last post?