*Testing of the K-Sport 304mm 6POT Brake kit*

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member

K-Sport 304mm 6POT Brake kit

Well I have in my possession a K-Sport 304mm 6POT Brake kit.

Speaking to Kev about the kit, I’m going to offer as much information I can regarding the fitting, quality and performance that it offers. :)

I’m going to document everything that I do with photos; any problems I have, general day to day usage as well as track use and the positives gains it has over what I have been using – Wilwood 280mm kit

Just to point out these are my personnel views and might not apply to others as my driving style and frequency may differ. Also I am basing some of my finding with what my 4POT Wilwood kit offers and its performance.

So…

1st impressions.

The kit seems to be well made, visually there are no marks or machining errors and all the parts, seals and bolts are in good nick.
Kev has sent the K-Sport “sport” brake pads with this kit but he stressed (for my safety :shock: ) that I should use DS2500 pads due to my track usage and heavy braking, so even though I was keen to see the limitations of the “sport” pads I’ve taken his advice and gone with the 2500’s. :)

I was surprised to feel how light the calliper actually is compared to the Wilwoods, though the K-Sport is bigger its feels lighter that my Wilwood calliper! It’s also in a glorious black finish and tbh I’m glad they turned up like that as they subtly sit behind my wheels without saying “raagghh look at me”

The discs even thought they are only 304mm they look massive when you take them out of the box and again feel lighter than I imagined. They are also thicker (28mm) than the 24mm discs I use now.

Everything is well boxed up and all bolts and nuts are bagged as any brake kit should and the instructions are also included.

So far everything seems in good order and no major problems! :thumbsup:

Fitting

Now I only did a quick test tonight to see if the kit fitted and what the clearances were.
I’m very happy to announce that they fit with space between my calliper and alloy spokes (3-5mm) as does the disc to the ball joint which has good space between them both too (3-5mm). At this point it is only visual and I will measure these gaps tomorrow when I have more time (no wheel were spacers required).

A couple of points that I have made is that the instructions are a little vague and perhaps the less mechanical minded person may be a little confused when fitting. Granted if you’re unsure then I’d not attempt to do them yourself and have a pro assist or a reputable garage fit them for you. However if you are a whiz then read the instructions and you should have no problems.
One other area that has baffled me was fitting the bracket to the hub, there are 4 threaded bolts for this (2 for each bracket) and about 20 washers with the kit, but no nuts to hold the bolts on with. (I’ll speak to Kev about this tomorrow and sort this out, no biggy from me, but I was scratching my head :noidea:). So to hold the brackets on I just used my old Wilwood bolts and nuts for a temporary solution.

Now at this point I was taking pictures like a paparazzi at a glance of seeing Brittney’s rear arsé cheeks, but due to the retardness of my camera, its had a hissy fit so you’ll have to wait till tomorrow to see the finished products (yes I am a tease ;-)) but I can say they look well under my 16” Enkei wheels and with them finished in back, give that feel of: “yes I’ve got 6POTs but I’m not showing off to everyone, yet there on for a purpose” 8)

Kev has been very helpful in his service and though he had no DS2500 pads in stock at the moment, he had a batch despatched from his supplier straight to my work this morning (recorded delivery) Cheers Kev ;-)

More updates and images when I have them.
;-)

;-) :lol:

marcymarc

I spoke to a friend of mine the other day, he said that k-sport goodies were the dunlop training shoe of the uprated car part world :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Looks good! Glad to year that they fit without any spacers!! Much needed improvement over the other kit!! :D

O

owens

ive seen the orange 6 pots in the flesh and i must say they do look very good quality, im yet to hear on there performance but first impressions are good

bopper

Yes im definatly going to be watching this thread closely as if we cant get the clearance issue sorted on the 8 pots then these will be the ones i will get.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How much clearance do you have between the caliper and wheel ie do you think they could have been slightly bigger and still fitted OK?

Kev@Apex

bopper said:
Yes im definatly going to be watching this thread closely as if we cant get the clearance issue sorted on the 8 pots then these will be the ones i will get.
Price is only a little lower than the 330mm kit, there still similar amount of materials and CNC time to make them - £825 (£855 for the 330mm 8 pot)

Great to see that theres no clearance issues with these, and that they will soon be tested on track - with DS2500 as they are quite small, so didnt know how the sport pads would cope, its not the same as sport pads on a 356 kit!

They will be available on the group buy at a similar % discount.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Well there on, fitted and bled and I must say they are certainly stopping my car better/more than my Wilwoods. 8)

I’m still bedding the pads in at the moment ready for Cadwell Park this coming Friday, so I’ll produce a nice write up about them: on track, fitting tonight, general driving and what my views and concerns are (road and track).

But as a quick run-down, I’ve removed my ABS fuse so that I can test them harder and get more of a feel for them. Fitting they were reasonably easy to install and I have had no real issues with them. :)

Looks, yeah they suit the car well and don’t stand out like a sore thumb – that’s my personnel preference, but others tastes may differ and opt for the orange? ;-)

Glad I’m using the DS2500’s they are working well for the bedding in time I’ve done.

Apart from that the “proof will be in the pudding” on Friday when I’m out on track to give them a bashing and I must say I’m looking forwards to that :-D

A couple of images that I’ve taken:

I’ve got a load more images, but I’ll take some in the light of day and show the gaps from calliper to alloy spokes using my tape measure (aprox 3-5mm), disc to ball joint (aprox 2-4mm) and post my full report over the weekend

Cheers ;-)

Andy

Braveheart

Fast Guy said:
How much clearance do you have between the caliper and wheel ie do you think they could have been slightly bigger and still fitted OK?
Great feedback Andy!
Any chance you can try 15" wheels over that kit.
If they do not fit, I'd like to try the 286mm kit.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Braveheart said:
Great feedback Andy!
Any chance you can try 15" wheels over that kit.
If they do not fit, I'd like to try the 286mm kit.
I was thinking about that when I was fitting them, I doubt very much if they will fit, but I’ll see if I can borrow a 15" wheel and try it out.

Braveheart

Thanks Andy.
Looking at the latest pics fitted under 16" I doudt they will fit 15's.
What's the fisical size of the K-sport calliper compared to the wilwood.. I can see from the pics that the K-sport is a little longer but how does it compare depth and width wise.
If it the same or smaller, it may fit under 15" with the 286mm kit.

Cheers,
Scott.

Braveheart

Fast Guy said:
I think Odin has 304mm AP 4pots under his 15s.
Interesting Andy.
I have not found any complaints about the performance of the AP kits. Even better, you can squeeze a good kit under 15". If I sell my business I will buy Knockhill and try AP breaks... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Until then, I'll follow the K-sport kits... may have to be 286mm kit though.

Last edited:
O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
I think Odin has 304mm AP 4pots under his 15s.

Break size is right but I'm using 16" wheels :doh: :lol: , Their is no way they would fit under 15".

Rob

Kev@Apex

Braveheart said:
What's the fisical size of the K-sport calliper compared to the wilwood.. I can see from the pics that the K-sport is a little longer but how does it compare depth and width wise.
I know you were asking about size in relation to wheel space, however for performance its the pad that matters, they use a pad that 132mm long, pad shape (in terms of Ferodo) is FRP 219.

MarkTurbo

Odin said:
Break size is right but I'm using 16" wheels :doh: :lol: , Their is no way they would fit under 15".
I reckon they'd go under 15" compomotives as long as they were the right offset ;-)