*Testing of the K-Sport 304mm 6POT Brake kit*

MarkTurbo

fubar andy said:
As I’ve only been able to bed in my pads over 36hrs it’s been a bit of a rush to get them ready, but a nice drive down to Cadwell gave me time to sort that out.
36 hrs :shock: You should be able to bed in DS2500's in about an hour tops :lol: Didnt you get the instuctions with them :?

You only need to do 25-30 brake applications of about 4 secs each using moderate brake pressure (ie enough to get some heat into them but not just stamping on the pedal) and then let the brakes cool down and thats it. Job done! When i did mine i just braked from about 80-20 mph around 30 times and then let them cool down for half an hour. After that i just gave them full abuse, red hot discs/smoke coming off the pads etc etc and they've worked fine ever since 8)

As for the bleed nipple problem you shouldnt ever need to put ptfe tape on the threads! The tapered part of the bleed nipples should seal on the seat in the caliper not the threads :?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
MarkTurbo said:
36 hrs :shock: You should be able to bed in DS2500's in about an hour tops :lol: Didnt you get the instuctions with them :?
I fitted the pads late and only drove the car round the block to ensure the kit worked and nothing was catching. The next day I drove to Cadwell so that was my bedding in time, but they bedded in time. I think my 36hrs was a little ott ;-) :doh:

MarkTurbo said:
As for the bleed nipple problem you shouldnt ever need to put ptfe tape on the threads! The tapered part of the bleed nipples should seal on the seat in the caliper not the threads :?
That’s right and that is what I expected but since I’ve sheered off a few nipples in the past I didn't want to do that again with a brand new set. Don't get the wrong idea either Mark, they are on tight and the fluid loss is very slight. It might be a case of just pushing that little more and see if I can screw that little bit more from them. Just didn't want to sheer them off right away. Not only that, I'd prefer not to use PTFE on the threads as it should seal without assistance.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
fubar andy said:
It might be a case of just pushing that little more and see if I can screw that little bit more from them.
...and with a little bravery it seems to have worked. They were very stiff to tighten so I slackened them off and wrenched them up as tight as it could go. There was a few creaking noises when I did it :? but it seems to have done the trick. :)

Also an image of the gap from calliper to alloy (8mm)

gap from disc to ball joint

and as mentioned before about the bolting the bracket to the hub, the bolt is a little too small in diameter for the hole but this can be changed :)

youngsyp

Odin said:
The blue stuff I'm using doesn't damage paintwork at all, It's synthetic ;-) .

Rob
To be honest, the only info I could find is that "it's non-petroleum based". Which, isn't really that helpful.
It isn't a silicon based fluid though as, it conforms to DOT4 standards. It does sat that it can't be mixed with mineral based fluids though ?!

Paul

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
To be honest, the only info I could find is that "it's non-petroleum based". Which, isn't really that helpful.
It isn't a silicon based fluid though as, it conforms to DOT4 standards. It does sat that it can't be mixed with mineral based fluids though ?!

Paul
I could go out and read the label on the bottle if I could be arsed but I can't ;-) , I'm not sure what it's made of or if it is actually Mintex fluid, All I know is that it's blue and it doesn't damage my paintwork ;-) , Which was my point I believe :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Trondelond

fubar andy said:
...and with a little bravery it seems to have worked. They were very stiff to tighten so I slackened them off and wrenched them up as tight as it could go. There was a few creaking noises when I did it :? but it seems to have done the trick. :)
There's no torque specified for the bolt either? That would be helpful during installation, I'd think.

Kev@Apex

So modifications needed are:

1) a Torque setting for the bleed nipples
2) a M10 bolt rather than the M8 one supplied (feck knows how that happened ????)
3) Better logo on the caliper, th x6 is weak ...

John

Kev, because of all the issues with the 8pots I think I'll be switching to these ones. I assume they will be available in the GB? Also what sorta price are we talking about and will there be an variations on colour available?

Kev@Apex

Yes, they will be available, similar % discount (they are £30 cheaper from the start)

I'm still not 100% happy with the orange from the new anodising plant, we are looking at other colour options but would still prefer everyone to have black.

O

Odin

KevD said:
but would still prefer everyone to have black.

Well hopefully they will all have the good taste to choose the black option ;-) .

The Orange is just plain nasty :shock: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: .

Rob

KF79GTIR

KevD said:
Price is only a little lower than the 330mm kit, there still similar amount of materials and CNC time to make them - £825 (£855 for the 330mm 8 pot)

Great to see that there's no clearance issues with these, and that they will soon be tested on track - with DS2500 as they are quite small, so didn't know how the sport pads would cope, its not the same as sport pads on a 356 kit!

They will be available on the group buy at a similar % discount.
WTF!!! Looking at this from an outsiders point of view i would not be happy in paying almost the same price as for the 8 pot kits for one by what people have been saying the kit is quite a bit smaller than the 8 pots less parts and a lot less materials are being used so what you have said above sounds like $hit! Considering you are acting as an agent for K-Sports i would imagine you are making good money out of this as you run a business and why would you do stuff like this for peanuts so it sound like people are getting shafted one way or another and as always people don't seem to be giving a $hit just chucking their hard earned money down the pi$$er. Either that or i am a tight b@rstard but considering i used to work with cnc machinery i don't think i am? Just thought i would add my view so every one can see things a little clearer

Kev

John

KF79GTIR said:
WTF!!! Looking at this from an outsiders point of view i would not be happy in paying almost the same price as for the 8 pot kits for one by what people have been saying the kit is quite a bit smaller than the 8 pots less parts and a lot less materials are being used so what you have said above sounds like $hit! Considering you are acting as an agent for K-Sports i would imagine you are making good money out of this as you run a business and why would you do stuff like this for peanuts so it sound like people are getting shafted one way or another and as always people don't seem to be giving a $hit just chucking their hard earned money down the pi$$er. Either that or i am a tight b@rstard but considering i used to work with cnc machinery i don't think i am? Just thought i would add my view so every one can see things a little clearer

Kev
I agree with what you say 100% and said as much to Kev in a PM this afternoon.

pulsar craig

i used to be a cnc engineer and i dont think really that the amount of cnc machine time would b a factor in keeping the price the same, tbh the group buy time scale is abit of a joke once the machine is set up you could machine all the parts needed in a couple of days so why`s it taking a couple of months to get the stuff in the first place because it cant be the machining time surely,

also on the k-sport website why is the brake packages being listed as if there availible for sale now when they clearly are not?

and if u look at the prices listed for all the kits for the gtir there is a steady decrease in the price on the smaller u go kits so why is the 306mm kit different to the rest?

http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=283&loc=2

just my 2 pence worth

MarkTurbo

KF79GTIR said:
WTF!!! Looking at this from an outsiders point of view i would not be happy in paying almost the same price as for the 8 pot kits for one by what people have been saying the kit is quite a bit smaller than the 8 pots less parts and a lot less materials are being used so what you have said above sounds like $hit!
You've obviously never looked into making up a brake kit and the costs involved then ;-) What you said about less parts and less materials being used is a load of rubbish too, theres just as many parts in a 304mm kit as there is in a 330mm kit its just the discs & calipers that are different :lol:

Theres not going to be any real differance in machining times whether the bells & brackets are for a 330mm kit or a 304mm kit. The differance in amount of material used would be minimal too, a bell for the bigger kit is probably only £2-3 more to produce than for the smaller kit ;-)

KF79GTIR said:
Either that or i am a tight b@rstard
Sounds like it to me, you must spend too much time looking at the price of wilwood kits :lol:

the chief

also it takes about 6 weeks for a boat to get from china to here, hence then delivery time. yes you could put them on a plane but that would cost more