spec / power output??

T

The Troll

Thunder God said:
I think that Ed has handled all this flack with very good grace and has answered all the question's asked of him, As bobby said I take as I find also and have no experience of Ed's mapping abilities, The only thing I know for sure is that Steve is very happy with his car and thats all I can go on.....

Also everybody makes mistakes in thier life, me included so I think we should just let the DVD rubbish drop now...

Rob
Omg, why don't you just pull his pants down and suck his d1ck aswell:lol: never thought i'd see the day when Vpulsar became a TUNER B'ITCH but looks like that day has come:shock:

JIMMYBACK

Thunder God said:
I think that Ed has handled all this flack with very good grace and has answered all the question's asked of him, As bobby said I take as I find also and have no experience of Ed's mapping abilities, The only thing I know for sure is that Steve is very happy with his car and thats all I can go on.....

Also everybody makes mistakes in thier life, me included so I think we should just let the DVD rubbish drop now...

Rob
:shock: :shock: :shock: thats the most ma:shock: ure thing you have said in a long time thunderpants:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pulsar boy you wont be dissapointed when edd maps you car.im really happy with my car

O

Odin

The Troll said:
Omg, why don't you just pull his pants down and suck his d1ck aswell:lol: never thought I'd see the day when V pulsar became a TUNER B'ITCH but looks like that day has come:shock:

I wouldn't take my car to him or any other tuner for that matter :doh: , So I'm no ones b1tch you c0ckjocky :lol: :lol: , I was just trying to put this thread to bed before it got out of hand in my roll as a moderator.....

With out proof of wrong doing on Ed's part what else can I do, The DVD ishue was explained and hopeful resolved to everybody's satisfaction, Tuning wise I've no proof of wrong doing only members saying they are happy with his work...

Rob

T

The Troll

Thunder God said:
I wouldn't take my car to him or any other tuner for that matter :doh: , So I'm no ones b1tch you c0ckjocky :lol: :lol: , I was just trying to put this thread to bed before it got out of hand in my roll as a moderator.....

With out proof of wrong doing on Ed's part what else can I do, The DVD ishue was explained and hopeful resolved to everybody's satisfaction, Tuning wise I've no proof of wrong doing only members saying they are happy with his work...

Rob
Will you be mapping your car yourself then?;-)

Or is that really Rob? as it seems way to sensible:? maybe turning 50 has changed something in you? You are correct in what your saying though, as apart from the pts dvd farse, there have been no reported problems and only praise for his work.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tro||

So Ed, exactly why have you been telling people that the Blue Emanage can't take away fuel and you need to use an SAFC to fine tune it ? And only the Ultimate allows you to take away fuel ? Surely such an experienced 'tuner' as yourself would know thats a crock of shit ?

We'd love to hear the 'tuner' explanation for that one, because at least three people have said now thats what you told them... ;)

And who gives a **** about the money, fair enough it was only a tenner, but isnt it a matter of trust ? From film director to self proclaimed 'emanage expert' in one swift move :lol:

Exactly what training have you had that entitles you to tune peoples cars for money ? I bet you've never even been on the Greddy courses :lol:

MATTYGREEN

Well I can Say I wasn't happy with Ed's work. My R was running 1.2bar on standard fueling and made 318.9bhp with 266ib-ft. I then decided to buy a blue emanage and have everything set up. Ed fitted the emanage for me and tried to map the car for me whilst running on standard injectors. He mapped the car only using 3rd gear and said my injectors were maxing out at just over 6250rpm and that he couldn't do anything to improve the running of the car until I brought some bigger injectors and suggested I ran with some 700's. I then bought some 2nd hand 600 injectors and had Ed fit them and re-map my car. My R is running a Hi-Teq stage one upgrade and I hoped to run it at 1.4bar. Ed did as I asked and told me he had altered the fueling via the emanage and that my injectors were hitting 85% duty - to which I thought great.

I then went on the group rolling road day and ran the car, and to my supprise it only made 1bhp and 10lb-ft more and that the boost was hitting 1.4bar until about 5000rpm and then dying off.

I did quiz Edd about this after the rolling road day and he blamed it on a weak actuator or turbo and said according to his graphs my boost was holding 1.4bar until the 5000rpm and then dying off.

I then decided to take my R to the tuner where the rolling road day took place and for them to re-map it. This they did and with the same boost settings my R made another 10bhp and 24lb-ft and I was told that it was running far too rich and that the ignition settings hadn't even been touched.

My point is I guess, if he is a tuner then surley he should have pointed out to me that my car was not holding it's boost and mapping the car this rich can also cause problems long term. I mean according to the stats on the forum 600 injectors at 85% duty should make around 380bhp and why didn't he alter my ignition settings?

When he was mapping my R, it took him all of about and hour, when I took it to the tuner it took them all day - NEVER again would I ask him to work on my R.

I've since bought a bigger tubby and will be going back to the tuner to make sure my R is mapped right 1st time :)

T

tro||

MATTYGREEN said:
When he was mapping my R, it took him all of about and hour,
dont forget that ed is a gtir-emanage-expert so he wouldn't need aslong as anyone else :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

F

Fusion Ed

In reply to Mattygreen:

When mapping a car you have to be very carefull. You were on a standard turbo, which do have their limits (for various reasons), I am reluctant to push the stock turbo above 1.2 bar - people do ask me for more and occasionally I will do, but its totally unguaranteed as to how long they will last, some will last years others weeks due to however they have been driven in the past and the tolerances to which they are built to.

I also never map to the limits. Some may call a 11.5:1 mega rich and its true that going in these areas offers a slight power loss, but you have the security that things are not going to melt. Also some of their test gear may also read slightly differently to mine. They trust what they use and I trust what I use. Another thing that unfortunately I do not have to my disposal is a rolling road, so any changes I do have to be done within the confines of the open road, and they have to be done safely, for myself and everyone else.

Doing what I do is a very tough and sometimes stressfull job and ultimately my work is judged on a single power run read out. Its easy to blame everything on the mapping of a car as it can really be where everything is made to work together or not.

Here by the way is a datalog of your run with me:

The peak here is 1.31 bar @ 5313 RPM, this falls to 1.1 bar @ 7200, looking at another run you made 1.38 @ 4476 tailing to again 1.1 @ 7230 rpm.

This is common of all pulsars with stock turbos, and here a much clearer data log from a stock pulsar (with FMIC) shows this point again:

The two vertical lines show the start peak, and the end low. 1.32@4490 and 1.13 @6639.

Sometimes you can play with boost controllers to flatten this out, but you just push the turbo further into an area it was not designed for.

There were no problems to be had running like this long term. Infact its perfectly safe. But I have no controll over how hard you drive or what fuel you may come across so for that reason, I tune how I do.

You also comment also on about the ignition settings. I have your map(s) here (cropped to fit on page):

So why you were told I had made no changes I have no idea, again its a safe map, as you can see, and by the looks of it your car was a nice drive too, as there are no flat spots and no notes in my logs about any thing that needs looking into.

Finally however you do raise an interesting point. By your own admission it took the tuner you went to a days work to get an increase of 10bhp and 24lb on a rolling road over what I achieved in two hours on the road.....

T

tro||

Fusion Ed said:
I have no idea,
finally, the truth is spoken :lol:

its a safe map,
safe map :shock:

at that boost level and even a tad higher, i've seen standard ecus do better in regards to afr's and they've made better power figures aswell :lol: :lol:

richer afr's than a healthy standard managed car will do has got to be demodding at its very best :lol:

ashills

troll this is really stupid now kieron/ross who ever this is this time
go to any tuner and they will run a 11.5 afr as its a safety measure for the engine
when my evo was mapped for totb abbey recomended to drop as low as 10s for the top end of the fuel map but we stayed at low 11s but that shows you that real world people dont aim for 12.5 thats where the peak power is but also a bit to close to problems

T

tro||

ashills said:
go to any tuner and they will run a 11.5 afr as its a safety measure for the engine
i dont think its stupid at all, theres plenty more that could be added that would make it stupid :lol:

standard ecu has had fuelling seen at 11.8 afr at those boost levels, still plenty safe enough, not even pushed infact and thats on more than 1 car so wasn't just a rare incident :roll: Yet here's a map thats doesn't appear by the results of the car or the afr to be as good as what the standard ecu can manage, whether thats afr or power wise.

theres no business interest to defend on this side of the fence, where as you 2 are now a little bit different. If this was 12 months ago and it was someone else, --------- ( fill in the blanks with company name of choice) being discussed you'd probably be joining in :roll:

if you stick your head up over the parapet expect to get shot.

Shaun

Fusion Ed said:
In reply to Mattygreen:

When mapping a car you have to be very carefull. You were on a standard turbo, which do have their limits (for various reasons), I am reluctant to push the stock turbo above 1.2 bar - people do ask me for more and occasionally I will do, but its totally unguaranteed as to how long they will last, some will last years others weeks due to however they have been driven in the past and the tolerances to which they are built to.

I also never map to the limits. Some may call a 11.5:1 mega rich and its true that going in these areas offers a slight power loss, but you have the security that things are not going to melt. Also some of their test gear may also read slightly differently to mine. They trust what they use and I trust what I use. Another thing that unfortunately I do not have to my disposal is a rolling road, so any changes I do have to be done within the confines of the open road, and they have to be done safely, for myself and everyone else.

Doing what I do is a very tough and sometimes stressfull job and ultimately my work is judged on a single power run read out. Its easy to blame everything on the mapping of a car as it can really be where everything is made to work together or not.

Here by the way is a datalog of your run with me:

The peak here is 1.31 bar @ 5313 RPM, this falls to 1.1 bar @ 7200, looking at another run you made 1.38 @ 4476 tailing to again 1.1 @ 7230 rpm.

This is common of all pulsars with stock turbos, and here a much clearer data log from a stock pulsar (with FMIC) shows this point again:

The two vertical lines show the start peak, and the end low. 1.32@4490 and 1.13 @6639.

Sometimes you can play with boost controllers to flatten this out, but you just push the turbo further into an area it was not designed for.

There were no problems to be had running like this long term. Infact its perfectly safe. But I have no controll over how hard you drive or what fuel you may come across so for that reason, I tune how I do.

You also comment also on about the ignition settings. I have your map(s) here (cropped to fit on page):

So why you were told I had made no changes I have no idea, again its a safe map, as you can see, and by the looks of it your car was a nice drive too, as there are no flat spots and no notes in my logs about any thing that needs looking into.

Finally however you do raise an interesting point. By your own admission it took the tuner you went to a days work to get an increase of 10bhp and 24lb on a rolling road over what I achieved in two hours on the road.....
;-) i really didnt want to get pulled into this but being as i spoke to Matty in depth upto and after you mapping his car i feel the need to reply,as for those maps you have posted they could be anyones maps on anyones car as there is no reference to confirm that they are from Matty's Emanage,as regards the AFR you have stated on here when i read your reply's to Matty's queries after the rolling road day you had told him that the AFR was 10.3 NOT 11.5AFR he also asked if you had altered the ignition timing maps as we had seen no improvement over the pre-mapped torque figures to be told "theres no need as the standard ECU ignition maps are good enough for yor spec".You also state that it took a tuner all day to better what you achieved in 2 hours,again i beg to differ.After 2 hours all you achieved was 1bhp @1.4bar over what had already been achieved at 1.2bar on standard fuelling.

MATTYGREEN

What you've said their Shaun is true :) $$$ wasted in my opinon and I know for a fact my ignition settings were not altered in any way, as the tuner showed me before he made any adjustments himself!

And 85% duty on 600 injectors?? that's the sort of duty i'm expecting to hit with new new tubby at @ 1.4bar!!

Take a look at the Technical section - Tuning + Upgrades FAQ:-

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24188

When I asked you about it you said "I need to take the faq's with a pinch of salt" - pretty big pinch of salt i'd say!!

Last edited: