Raising the compression?

billy187

Thrust Bearing Noise?

My mates just bought a pulsar which has a bit of problem, he's told me its making quite a loud noise on idle but this goes away when pressing the clutch, he was told its the thrust bearing in the gearbox? :? if it is that how much of a job is it? any ideas...

Last edited:

vss irvine

id say 70% of the time its the input shaft bearings, either way its a gearbox out job.

just alot less work if its just the release bearing.

Matt Evans

I had this same problem when I changed a CV joint. The snap ring that holds the shaft spline in the CV joint was not holding properly and the shaft popped out of the joint. I lost most of the drive and just managed to get the car back to the house. I fitted a new snap ring and all was fine. :)

If you gotta 2-3mm gap where the shaft fits, its definitely not located properly.

billy187

may be worthwhile just replacing the box then i suppose if its coming off as i have a couple spare. i take it nissan do the input shaft bearing?

also could it be this causing the car to judder when setting off? just slightly whether in reverse or 1st the car will judder when letting go of the clutch...

Last edited:

geetee

also could it be this causing the car to judder when setting off? just slightly whether in reverse or 1st the car will judder when letting go of the clutch...
More likely to be uneven wear on the clutch plate or flywheel. Possibly oil contamination on the clutch plate if the input shaft bearing is worn as this will lead to the shaft moving about and wearing the seal.

If you're going to drop the lump to get the box off and do the input shaft bearing, you may as well factor in a new clutch and skim the flywheel or fit a lightened one if pennies allow. Unless you're doing it yourself the labour charges will make you cry in 6 months when the clutch gives up and you have to pay to drop the engine again. Then if you're fitting a new clutch you should probably replace the release bearing at the same time... and if you're going for a heavy organic clutch... you may as well get the release fork beefed up while you're at it.

deni5co

Hi People, Ive just lost 5th gear, selects but no drive, all other gears OK, had to drive 40 miles home with a slight rattle in 1,2,&3 quiet in 4th! Any thoughts on my problem and how difficult to repair? I am very sad

Thor

Which tyres are the best for street and 1/4 mile?

hello!

Which tyres are the best for street and 1/4 mile? is it better to go complete of semi slicks may be semi as Toyo R888 or Dunlop Race Semi...

or is it better to go for the normal street tyres from may KUMHO ECSTA MX KU15 which are better in light rain and at sunny day has much grip too?

cheers
Sascha

frp

im sure they ll be many opinions on this but I use the parada spec 2 and can't fault them. the grip is brilliant and I use my car every day, even rain and snow doesn't seem to phase them . I can't really say I've had any traction issues either which is a really good point especially for the quarter mile.
cheers
steve

John

im sure they ll be many opinions on this but I use the parada spec 2 and can't fault them. the grip is brilliant and I use my car every day, even rain and snow doesn't seem to phase them . I can't really say I've had any traction issues either which is a really good point especially for the quarter mile.
cheers
steve
I agree with frp, I use Parada spec 2's on mine aswell and never had any issues atol with traction.

C

Craig04

cheers
steve
I would also agree spec 2's are a great tyre. Have only used them on the road and have had no traction issues at all. Ive been told R888's are shocking in the wet but haven't tried them myself.

frp

a friend had the spec 2s and loved them but after using the R888's he changed his mind. until it rained :twisted: the R888s offer better grip im sure but i imagine theyll take longer to warm up and are less suitable for our cold wet climate :roll: ( i have nt used them though (yet) ;-) )

steve

and to add the spec 2s are probably 50% cheaper :thumbsup:

bracpan

I have used Goodyear F1's and competed on them for 4 years. Not sure how they compare for the strip but for track and specially rain they are amazing. If its pure grip then go for a 1B tyres , like the Kumho etc. But they are not good in the wet.
Or why not get a set of slicks for the strip?
Good Luck
Phil

Thor

thanks for good informations. i will drive on the street and at the 1/4 mile without change the tyres everytime. the slicks are good but the gearbox must hold on them too! so i go now to 15" wheels and with semi slicks i hope it is ok for a good run...

cheers
Sascha

Davey

Got the car back in the week, clutch feels a fair bit lighter than the AP, judders like hell though, which I presume is because it's bedding in on the old flywheel.
Will report back in two years time, or when it breaks, whichever comes first :)

Staichey

Gearbox and tranfer box - sealed together?

I have the engine out of my R at the moment and the gearbox and transfer box are off and seperated too. When I seperated them there was a red sealant around the input shaft to the transfer box where it meets the main gearbox. Is this standard practice, and what do you use? :-D