Raising the compression?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I helped Sasha map his car with a 3076. We started off with standard cams but you could could see from the air flow and load that it was getting breathless after 6.6K. It was holding 2.2Bar but load was dropping. He switched from standard to 270deg cams as he is only interested in drag racing. It really helped at the top end. Peak power moved from about 6.6K to 7.2-7.4K and we made more power at 2.0 Bar than at 2.2Bar on standard cams.

In terms of the turbo spooling, in a perfect world it will have a direct effect and we would have seen things happening a few 100rpm later but mapping has such a dramatic effect on a car that this wasn't the case. When we started mapping the car the plot looked like Rob's.

After spending a lot (months) of time tuning the boost controller and the fuelling and IGN map swapping the cams and repeating, the engine load looked like Bobby's plot starting in earnest about 4.2K but went up another 100hp. Overall it was better as it started earlier rose a little more smoothly and held the power well to 7.5K so when you shifted gear it was nicely in the power band. The smoothness will help with the tranmission which is why we kept at 2.0 Bar as 2.2Bar gave a bigger torque spike at 5.5K but made no more air flow at 7.5K

ashills

oh yeah definitely but that just shows what the stock cams can do when others tuners have told me id never get a car past 400bhp with stock cams so all very interesting

Fusion Ed

haha so true..... What is impressive is that max power was made at about 5800 rpm. 460@5800 not a bad figure really!

noriek2003

i believe it was running on stolen plutonium fuel rods that they obtained off of some vw van driving terrorists and when combined with the flux capacitor that they installed a phenomonem would happen, at exactly 88mph they would travel time.:shock:.you can actually see the event of time travel happening on the dyno graph

Fusion Ed

i believe it was running on stolen plutonium fuel rods that they obtained off of some vw van driving terrorists and when combined with the flux capacitor that they installed a phenomonem would happen, at exactly 88mph they would travel time.:shock:.you can actually see the event of time travel happening on the dyno graph
Close it did go through time but in the sense it wasted a load of time when the gearbox blew up the on the first dyno attempt....

p.s. fuel rods are great for melting the snow. :)

cmng

Wow
that is impressive

I have similiar spec and going to tuning soon
hope can achieve 400whp on 1.8 bar boost on GT3071R

Davey

I've killed my AP clutch-alternatives please?

I'm really, really sorry for having to post another clutch question, but this one is a little different.
I've just had the clutch out of my car, and my mechanic tells me the centre is 'not attached to the rest of it' anymore, and there are bits of metal floating about :-(
Its an AP racing organic, if I remember correctly, has been in about 2 years, and probably done about 6/8000 miles. I remember reading something about AP's failing shortly after I bought it, I guess I've suffered the same problem.
The alternative was a Helix, and RPS had just started making clutches for the 'R, any opinions?
It has to take at least 300bhp, possibly upto 330/350 if I ever decide to spend some money on it.
Gearbox is on the only gearbox stand, and is getting in the way, need to know quick.

Cheers, Dave

gtirjoey

i have just fitted a rps street style clutch as opposed to the paddle i had in, to be honest best clutch ive ever had lovely to drive with and delivers the power nicely, in two years i have had a exedy, helix, rps paddle and rps street and i would say for the money go for rps street srb power keep in stock for just short of three houndred quid i believe

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
i have just fitted a rps street style clutch as opposed to the paddle i had in

i would say for the money go for rps street srb power keep in stock for just short of three houndred quid i believe
Just had a gander on the SRB site and I can no longer see any GTiR spec clutches? :noidea:

Is the unit you have classed as the Max Street clutch or have they stopped using that version?

If that’s the case what is the Street Style like, heavy peddle and what it rating?

gtirjoey

not that heavy but i have just been using rps paddle which was heavy i rang up and spoke to the lady there who advised me on price and model. yes i do mean max street the lady said it is rated to 480 pounds of torque its fine in my car with no slipping and lovely in traffic.
In all honesty i got mine second hand from a member on here, but i priced it with srb over phone about a month ago when i ordered my flywheel plates

John

Helix is a nice light clutch and will easily handle what your looking for power wise, Id go for it.

Davey

Thanks lads, I might try Ninja Tune Factory, see if Lionel has any RPS in stock, I remember he used to have one (might have been the guinea pig for them?), and he seemed pretty happy. If not, it might be a helix.
Cheers, Dave.