Raising the compression?

noriek2003

it sort of became common practice for some since one leaked many years ago, it might have been a box myself or mike (ex gtir) did a while ago. Theres no reason for it to leak at that seal but it happened on a car mike did many years ago and ever since we have both put abit of a sealent (instant gasket) on that seal just to make sure it didn't happen again.....it never did by the way.

GTI-R34

sorry to bring up an old thread ,

i have the same problem here on the island we only have 2WD dyno's so my question is , is it possible to dyno the by removing the driveshaft that goes to the back ?

so basicly converting the car to front wheel drive just for the dyno session , i know some evo guys do it that way?

any help would be appreciated

Thank Myron

markweatherill

Removing the propshaft will give a better measurement. Jacking up at the rear will just introduce a big fudge factor. And might be scary. But you could probably polish the rear wheels, Mexican style, while the car's on the dyno.

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
as originally suggested by jack: it is a bad idea

it will put a massive strain on the centre diff (read: high potential for breakage)

the original japanese owners manual clearly shows not to tow with 2 wheels off the ground,
and nissan's official policy is "never tow a 4wd with one end raised and one end on the ground, as this may cause serious and expensive damage to the transaxle."

vss irvine

due to the fact that the centre diff is open, by removing the propshaft most of the drive will be lost through the prop coupling.

same applies if you lift the rear wheels off the ground, the drive will take the route of least resistance, ie the rear wheels!

plus its not exactly safe lifting a car half off the ground whilst on the rollers?!

GTI-R34

as originally suggested by jack: it is a bad idea

it will put a massive strain on the centre diff (read: high potential for breakage)

the original japanese owners manual clearly shows not to tow with 2 wheels off the ground,
and nissan's official policy is "never tow a 4wd with one end raised and one end on the ground, as this may cause serious and expensive damage to the transaxle."
I understand what your saying but we are not talking about towing but dynoing , so i dont understand what these two have incommon

GTI-R34

due to the fact that the centre diff is open, by removing the propshaft most of the drive will be lost through the prop coupling.

same applies if you lift the rear wheels off the ground, the drive will take the route of least resistance, ie the rear wheels!

plus its not exactly safe lifting a car half off the ground whilst on the rollers?!

so in other words it is better not to dyno the car but to street tune it ?

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
by removing the propshaft most of the drive will be lost through the prop coupling
via the centre diff (which will get very hot, very quickly)

we are not talking about towing but dynoing, so i dont understand what these two have in common
in both circumstances you are only rotating part of the transaxle components,
and in a dyno environment you are applying a significantly increased load compared to towing
(read: towing is bad, dyno is worse)

so in other words it is better not to dyno the car [on a 2wd dyno] but to street tune it?
yes

NME_RR

Oh dear!!!

BANG is the best way to describe what your going to do!!

If you have 2 wheels not working on a 4WD or 4X4 your asking for trouble in numerous places, especially when rolling roading,

the gearbox if anything will send all power to the rear not the front, i know the system transfers the power to the rear if the front slips so and i know it quotes in numerous places its 100% rear in some circumstances but not all im guessing

and unforseen things like, rolling friction of rear wheels and diff, mass of prop and attached bits n gears inside the gbox, im not a tuner but im sure these need to be taken in to account!

but by all means, and by no recommendation of mine please try it and report

MORF114

I work opposite a certain dyno house in new zealand and the other day they took off the rear transfer box took something out the box put it all together and presto it was 2 wheel drive this was on a 4wd drive toyota the they stuck it on the dyno and put the part back in the box and off she went maybe dodgy or you might be able to do that to a gt4 but they got it on a 2wd dyno and drove away afterwards.

M

m22_pre

Tuners in the north west

I have just put a new engine into my R , so it now needs mapping up so i can fit my safc , 550cc injectors, z32 , downpipe with screemer. Just wondering where is the best place for tuning R's in the north west if i cant find newhere arround locally i will travel down to fc tuning in london as iv only heard good things about steve.

Cheers
mike

Godzilla

I'm hopefully taking mine to scooby tekneks in fleetwood blackpool got to do a bit more research on em yet see if there trust worth can be much difference In mapping a scooby and gtir can there if there is at least I can get on there RR