Raising the compression?

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Yeah I haven't used the 1.1 seting since I noticed it playing up.

I'v checked the setings and they seem ok to me, but what do I know. Anyone out there able to tell me what they should be so I can check them??

turboloon

wot was your wiring problem as i also have a profec b 11 and i think it is also giving me problems ...some times it won't boost past .6 bar on high boost i'll do a ecu fault check and everything comes up ok (code 55)...is that replacement ecu standard or is it a mines or summit similar...?

kenan

South West Regional Rep
wiring problem was two wires fusing together on the afm connector, taking the ecu with it. Replaced with a standard ECU so should be the same now as was before?

B

Big-G

Quaife box

Hi, i have owned my R for about 2 weeks now and already fooked the gearbox :doh: i have sorced a second hand unit that i am going to fit to get me back on the road again then i will get the origional box rebuilt, are the quaife gearsets alot stronger than the nissan ones or just a bit stronger? also do the quaife gearsets come with selector forks that arent made from cheese:shock:? and who can i send my box to for a quaife rebuild? many thanks Paul

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
the chief said:
do quaife still make the gear kits?

Yes..

Choices are:

PPG
Quaife
Modena
Becker - if you dare
PAR - below PAR
Xtrac - heard that they made a few but very rare and expensive. More than likely used by the NME Rally Team.

mattytappy

Brian crower 2.3 kit

As above....been looking at these kits from erics performance parts on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200209454967&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010
Brian Crower SR20DET 2.3 Liter Stroker Kit RNN14 GTIRItem number: 200209454967
Is anyone using one on here, or had any experaince with these.....ie, where did or can you get the head gaskets from to fit the 90mm pistons...also what turbo would work with this extra displacement in cc size....ie would a 3071r be man enough to get the most out of the extra bore size or would a bigger turbo be needed.?

And lastly....what size of cams would be needed to get the right amount of fuel and air in to feed the extra cc bore size.?

M

mascot

am just in middle of building my 2.3 engine now well its built just need to sort rest of stuff out

as for head gasket
http://www.mazworx.com/store/?event=displayProduct&product=212

as for turbo i will be running engine in with a 3071so shall see what it can do on the engine shant be for next few weeks thought till up and running

once run in period is done shall be swaping over to 3540r turbo maybe bigger later on just depends how get on with gearbox

it might seam a good buy and it is just remember all the other stuff that goes with it gearbox cluth fuel setup ecu the list is endless and just make sure you and your bank manger are on good terms cause am sure you wont be after the build lol

P

pulsarboby

tbh matty unless your well minted i wouldnt take this route!
as mascot says above, it doesnt end there.
you have to get liners fitted and this is a very difficult job that must be done correctly and be 100% or youll end up with probs like stumo had, think your looking at around £600 from a competent precision engineers to get this work carried out.

once the bottom ends rebuilt you then will have to get the top end (head) sorted. once again, a lotta money.
compression cups in head will need machining to match piston size, valves will need to be sorted as well as all the porting and gas flow work that will need to be done, at a guess i would say your looking at almost a grands worth of head work there, plus the cost of uprated cams too. if you need this done then give me a bell and il put you in touch with one of the top guys in the country (for this work) he did my head and did a fantastic job on it aswell.

then you will be needing a quaife, os giken or similar clutch, big rad to aid with extra cooling required, then you will have to find room to fit everything under your bonnet so will have to start chopping things around to make stuff fit.

so in all its going to be a very very expensive job and thats with you doing a majority of the work, plus the endless hours of labour, time spent in garage will p1ss your mrs right off then youll be out on your earhole with no mrs or kids just a pile of metal and boxes of car bits to keep you company:lol: :lol:

think about it matey, is it worth all the aggro and expense for a few extra bhp;-)

ashills

or if u want to spend a lot of cash and have a mega responsive road car go for it but be prepared to spend aot of cash
tbh with the 3071 it would almost be to much cc for the turbo and may bring on surge but think a few evos have done similar with some tweaks got it to run good

P

pulsarboby

just noticed that that kit does not include the sleeves either, so youll also have the extra cost of those too

M

mascot

ashills said:
or if u want to spend a lot of cash and have a mega responsive road car go for it but be prepared to spend aot of cash
tbh with the 3071 it would almost be to much cc for the turbo and may bring on surge but think a few evos have done similar with some tweaks got it to run good
just out of intrest was they getting surge when using interneal or external wastegate mate

mattytappy

Thanks for the replys guys.....i know its alot of work but its something i can gradually build on over time, get another R lump in the garage spare and not rush it in a few months....as for the gearbox i already have a quaife but i doubt if even that will stand up to it over time, but thats something i can talk over with a friend who used to work for quaife for about 20 years and maybe able to help with...??

Mascot.....thanks for the link....it will be interesting to see what results you can come up with on the 3071 and then the 3540R:shock:....that will be worth seeing:cool:
Where did you manage to source the liners for your setup?

BOB.....time round my garage is the only peace i get so the more im round there the better....besides the misses has already one the lottery by marrying me so she knows the
THE BIG SQWIRTS RIGHT

And i do luurrrvvee a challenge:lol: :lol:
Besides which ive enough brownie points in the bank after spending my last car budget on a holiday to last for the next year or two;-)

Last edited: