Raising the compression?

antgtir

youngsyp said:
Yep, it will use the stock relay to send the switching supply to a new relay. This will have the full voltage feed from the battery.
Whe you have it all fitted, it will behave as the stock system, with rpiming when the ignition is switched on, and normal running when the engine is running etc...

Have a hunt around bud, there are a couple of 'how to's' floating around, with a parts list too.

Paul
Cheers mate will do. This thing drives me insane, i hate imperfection grr:evil: :lol:

Ant.

K

krikra

Time for a new gearbox!

My standard gearbox has finally given up..
It got stuck in 4th. So I pulled the end casing to have a look. As expected it was the 3/4 selctor fork that was broken.

After 3 years of hard abuse. I was beginning to doubt if it was a standard gearset in there...
Im making around 500hp and has done many low 11's with that gearbox.

And when it finally gave up it was the 3/4 selector fork that broke..
The gearset still looks fine. Im actually considering changing the selector fork and driving on with this box..

It the first time I look inside a GTIR gearbox. Can anybody confirm that this is a standard gearset?

Can anybody tell me whats the 3 little things next to the broken fork on the last picture?

D

Diesel Fumes

Im changing the oil in my Nismo LSD. What to use?

What the title says. Nismo vicious LSD. What fluid would you suggest? Its the rear diff.

It makes a sick clicking sound when going around a corner at very low speeds. Or also other times when I am backing up and turning. It sounds very very bad! Figure I will change the oil to see if I have success.

Last edited by a moderator:

MORF114

Quite a few drift cars ive heard going in and out of petrol stations with locked rear diffs sound like that.

i use redline heavy but most recommend silkolene diff oil.

youngsyp

As above, I think the sound is just a trait of the uprated diffs.

Just have a look round for oil, and look for the stuff recommended for LSDs, I'm sure there's plenty to choose from.

P

pulsarboby

before you start boogering about with diffs etc just make sure that you havent got a dodgy cv joint on the front;-)
really sounds like that to me!

00sid

yep the three little bits are 3rd / 4th gear syncro hud clip springs , they help to hold it in gear. but they look like there are fooked in the picture.

00sid

nismo plated diffs are loud as hell, my front and rear diffs feel like they are going to shake the car to bits on slow corners, making that noise go away with a slipper oil will cause the diffs not to lock up right.
easy way to stop it would be not to go slow around corners lol.
plus they arnt made for road use.

D

Diesel Fumes

I can't even find Redline locally. All I can find are common brands like Castrol synthetic, Pennzoil crap, etc. Mobil 1 has a 18.9 liter pale. Thinking of picking it up to do diffs and transmission. WOuld this work? What about additives? They have additives for posi-trac diffs on trucks, but some people have told me to stay away from additives.

D

Diesel Fumes

Jonesy said:
go to opie oils on the net.
was hoping to get this done soon. But I will check it out. If its that important I will just park the car until it arrives.

How much oil do I need for the diff? Should I change center and front diff fluids too?

J

jpward

Yeah i was at a recent drag day here and John was tyre warming the Eastcoastcustoms Poobaru in figure 8's and sounded like 2 kids having a devil banger fight :lol: I was surprised how much they click but puilling a low 10 to win the final id say it works fine :lol:

youngsyp

Diesel Fumes said:
How much oil do I need for the diff? Should I change center and front diff fluids too?
Rear diff needs 1 litre (roughly) iirc.
Whilst you're at it, you may as well change the gearbox (front diff) and transfer box (centre diff) oil too. If these have the standard diffs, they'll need a 75w90 oil like Silkolene Syn 5 etc...
The gearbox takes around 4.5 litres and the transfer box 1.2 litres.

nismoboy

yes its deffinatley the standard box, and dont be supprised as these can hold alot of power, its usually bad shifting that kills the gear teeth i myself have put just over 500hp through a standard box and it was and still is fine, just replace hub syncro springs as si pointed out and get yourself a billet 3/4 selector fork from ppg.

K

krikra

I have a low mileage spare box lying in my garage. Just pulled the end housing to have a look inside it. Everything looks nice. Will probably put the spare box on instead.

But anyway - is it possible to change the selector fork in situ? with just the end casing of..

nismoboy

krikra said:
I have a low mileage spare box lying in my garage. Just pulled the end housing to have a look inside it. Everything looks nice. Will probably put the spare box on instead.

But anyway - is it possible to change the selector fork in situ? with just the end casing of..

yes it is possible, u need to remove both gear clusters and selctor rods all as one, hope this helps.

K

krikra

My spare box seems to need a new "final drive side bearing".. The one in it now looks fooked :(

Whats the cost of having a new bearing fitted?

Good thing I had a good look before fitting this box.

Kristian
Copenhagen, Denmark
11,15@206km/t

Last edited by a moderator:

EVOBAD

its in gear but doesnt move

a freind of mine phoned me last night saying his car will go into gear but doesnt move any ideas am puzzled:-o