Racing the Pulsar

STU666V

Well done Phil :)
Hope you can keep it going but it does cost a lot of money to race for a year :-(
Your doing better than me!!
Keep it up.

NISR227

Phil, well done mate, keep up the good work and hope to watch you again with some vids.

If you've got some decent plans for the cars including more power (3071R?) then I think you would be a good entry to be put forward for totb7 next year up in York, if your willing to travelling and drive around some cones. You seem to be one of the only peope continuely developing your setup.

bracpan

I can do corners ok lol..dont think I will ever have the power for the strip though, will only ever aim for the around 400 bhp. Next step will be a 3071, got the injectors and MAF ready, will also make a better inlet pipe from the airfilter and a 3ins downpipe. Trying to get a better box, plus trailer for next year. I can also use softer tyres for next year so might drop down to 15ins wheels to take full advantage......now where did that woman live who just won 34 million? wounder if she wants to sponser a Pulsar...
Cheers
Phil

STU666V

Phil,
Are you planning going down the forge route? Does the 3071 fit easy or do you need some mods? If i won the 35 million i would sponser you :)

bracpan

Yes the forge pistons will be on my list. But need more power for next year, If I have the engine done with the new pistons I will not be able to get the Turbo. ( been told its not to difficult to fit) Common scence would say get the pistons first but on there own will not make me any quicker...and I have to get quicker for next season or its not worth me competing. Thanks for the sponsership off will hold you to it if you win..lol ( its the best offer so far)
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Did a race in Gurston Down at the weekend, have not been there to race for around 15 years. It was a place my Special Saloon Riley Elf did very well beating some much quicker and more powerfull cars.
I got to withing 2.8 seconds of the Elfs time despite being some 8 mph slower through the speed trap times. Was 4th as it was a modified production class ( I am normaly in the road going class) apart from a Audi TT they were all stripped out and on slick or 1B tyres.
Great day out and also a very very good Hillclimb location.
Cheers
Phil
PS The Pulsar was hitting 81mph thru the first spead trap, some 200m after the start line....my Elf ( which was also road leagal but raced on slicks) hit 89mph !!! I know realise how quick that little beast was.

bracpan

The season is over for me, my gearbox main bearing is calapsing and will not be able to sort it our in time for next weekend.
Not sure if I will repair the box, get a reconed one or try and get a Quaife.
The Quaife is the right way to go, and I have until next year to sort it out.
Thanks again for everybodys support and hope to meet a few more of you out and about next year.
Cheers
Phil

STU666V

Phil.

Thats not so good news :doh: I had the same problem this year too

Quaife is the right way to go but £££££ just like every thing else!! Keep on buying the lotto tickets :thumbsup:
Keep us posted.
Regards
Stu

Dooie Pop Pop

bracpan said:
The season is over for me, my gearbox main bearing is calapsing and will not be able to sort it our in time for next weekend.
Not sure if I will repair the box, get a reconed one or try and get a Quaife.
The Quaife is the right way to go, and I have until next year to sort it out.
Thanks again for everybodys support and hope to meet a few more of you out and about next year.
Cheers
Phil
what a bugger:doh: how did you know its collapsing? just curious as to what it sounded like...

iv just had a look at my old timeslips, cant find the shakespeare county one where i ran an 11.7 @1.7bar but the fastest mine ran the 1/8 mile @ 1.4bar was 91.4mph..... that Elf was fast!:shock: :lol:

hope you get it all sorted soon Phil,

stu

bracpan

I could hear a strange noise comming from the passenger side a few weeks ago as I finished Llys y fran hillclimb, I checked wheel bearings etc but no luck, I then went to Nisstec and took the owner out for a drive, you can hear a strange rumble as you start off, it was him who said its the bearings...as he said it could last a while but could also go any second and take the rest of the box with it. So I thought better to air on the safe side and stop and save the box. I now have until April/My next to sort things out so will try and save for a Quaife, new or second hand.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

It never rains but p**s's down....was strugling to get things ready for 2008 as it was with the broken box etc, but now my road/towcar a Toyota Surf ( you know the bullit proof truck) has managed to throw all its oil out and damage the engine...around £1000 for a replacement and another £600+ to fit it....S**t.
Thinks its down to the Lottery...
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Finally got the Surf fixed thanks to a local mechanic, was a bit cheaper than I expected but still a drain on recorses...
Will probaly have a quieter year and try and save the money to make the car quicker, cant afford to do both, will still do a few events to keep my hand in.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Slowley getting things back on track ( sorry about the pun) Have a few other springs and settings to try on the suspension and will also try and go down to 15ins wheels for the comming season. ( Rota Slipstreams) that should lose some unsprung weight. Will hopefully get my G/Box sorted soon so should have my first event in May. Then its a turbo upgrade hopefully before the end of the season.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Finaly got a G/Box, its up at the gearboxman at the moment getting it checked over, fingers crossed its ok its not a quaife but its a stronger box than standard. Still not done much, but getting things ready for the suspension alterations. Will have a quieter year and try a few things out.
Hope you have a good time at Croft, good luck.
Phil

Jon Olds

A good time yeah. Though I'd got third in class 3B, but was just looking at the second run times. Wishfull thinking. I was fifth.
Not to disappointed as it counts for more time in the car, and the runs were only a fraction of a second apart.
Lunched a set of rally wets though. (5 miles!!)