Racing the Pulsar

bracpan

Did a the National Sprint championship round at Llandow on Saturday...selected 5th instead of third on the first practice run,,,,,locked the brakes on the second practice, did the same on the First timed run (with a great big cloud of smoke), then selected 5th again on the last timed run.........drove like a t*t was 1.5 seconds slower than my best time.......but hears the funny thing, went faster on every run, and took a second in class award with the next driver over 2.5 second behind .....funny thing Motor Sport.
Phil.
PS, Got some good plans for a very nice engine for next year if i can get the money sorted.
PPS If anybody knows of a sponser I would be very grateful, just a little help would be fantastic.

Last edited:

warringtonjack

Hello mate, good to hear you're still going at it! Llandow is next on my list of tracks. As far as sponsorship goes, have you spoken to Simon at Nisstec about it? Or maybe even K&J. :noidea:

bracpan

Simon has always been a great help in many ways. Will try K&J and also a few other local companies over the next few months.
Cheers
Phil

Jon Olds

Had mine out today, sprinting at teesside autosport parks 'twisty sprint'
Entered my golf, but took the rally gtir.
Parked next to a sprint scooby, who I selected as being the nearest car to mine , class wise.
Was consistantly 1/2 sec faster than him all day.
Got the 1st class trophy, then he protested. Bye bye pot.
He was probably right to protest as mine runs a 34mm restrictor, and his doesn't.
Ha.
All good fun

Jon Olds

I havent a clue, and am not really interested to find out. Both our cars were road leagl 4wd turbos.
We were the only two like that there...
His loss.
I dont need a 'comfort' trophy to know we had a good day out.
Desperate to get that front lsd in tho, was running on three wheels thro all the slow corners.

Jon Olds

Is it possible I'm running too soft rear springs?. Got whiteline bars front and back.
Any comments appreciated

MarkTurbo

What an absolute :mong: I really cant stand people like that :evil: Makes you wonder why they bother getting involved in motorsport in the first place if their attitude to getting beaten is to find something to complain about :doh:

The way i look at it is if you get beaten fair and square you need to look at ways to improve either your driving or your car!

bracpan

Jon
You should have found out why you were protested, either because you could have argued your case or (and this is more important) you can make sure it dosnt happen again, other wise you could be wasting an entry...what class were you in? What tyres did you run etc etc ? Otherwise people will protest if they think they have been beaten by none legal car...as they think they run to the regs only to be beaten by some who dosn't?
If I enter an event and I see a car in my class who is obviuosly not legal for the class you can bet your life I will protest, but before I start racing not after. If the car is not legal it cant beat you fair and square its beaten you by not sticking to the rules. Many enter class knowing there cars are not right and try it on. So who is the dull one ? them for entering or me ignoring them...
Hope you find out what the protest was about, you can always ask the secretary of the meeting etc as they have to tell you.
God luck in the future.
Phil

Jon Olds

It was a little clubby sprint, I entered in my mk1 golf rallycar. The weather was poor sat so I took the gtir.
Work, family, etc etc meant it was a bit rushed getting there. I arrived to find I'd forgotten to fit the timing strut.....
The entry was the most diverse Ive seen bikes (supermotos, <16's YO, classic, road, r1'S, lc's etc) mini's, caterhams, formula cars, classic cars, sidecars, pretty much the whole gamut.
Perhaps I wasn't taking it too seriously, as at siging on I said put me in any class you like.
The only road legal 4wd turbo car was this scoob. Mine is road legal.
Sprinting is not my core event, and as Ive now competed continuously for 28 years, none of the minutae rules/regs seem that important. Think that prob says it all. Wish I hadnt mentioned it.

Jon Olds

OK, you've got my curiousity. The timesheet I picked up has me originally in class 6. (Road modified saloon and sports cars 1401 to 2000 : Car 15 Golf 1900 rallycar)
I then went in with the scooby into class 7 (road modified saloon and sports cars over 2000).
Apparently, I should have been in class 10, 11, 12 (Modified production cars).

Its all a bit subtle.

The clincher is probably the 'road' bit. Does that mean you cannot use road legal rally tyres? My rally car is road legal. (The scoob was trailered there, so it can't be that)

I will try and find a phone no. and ring someone....

MarkTurbo

Jon Olds said:
The clincher is probably the 'road' bit. Does that mean you cannot use road legal rally tyres? My rally car is road legal. (The scoob was trailered there, so it can't be that)
I reckon that was the problem ;-) You're only allowed to use a certain type and size of tyre in road going classes.

Jon Olds

Probably. I got back onto the Auto66 club site and re-read the original regs. These made no mention of the differences between classes, except the class titles. Normally, a master set of regs is called from the ASR's (additional supplementary regs)

bracpan

Main regs are in the Blue book but some events/clubs do vary but they should say.
If you run in the road class you should have had, timing strut all trim fitted ( except carpet and you can fit race seats) you would have had to run 1A tyres in most road classes. Also glass windows, and the only light panels can be the bonnet and boot. Can have a rollcage but not structural.
It can be a mine field if not competeing in these events regular. Does sound as if your car should have been in the Mod prod Class. Trailering the car to an event is irelivant as many road cars are trailerd due to the slight problem of getting home if you bin it.
Good luck next time
Cheers
Phil

Last edited:

bracpan

Shelsley this weekend, will be the last one of the year. Heard the weather will be fine...dam it. lol Hoping for rain.
Chance to try out the full rear defusser.
Will keep you informed.
Phil

bracpan

As the weather was so warm and dry I honestly thought I had no chance against Nobles, Pokers and TVR's etc.....But the old girl ran well, managed to get third with only the Noble ( which is not really a production car in the true sence) and a very well modded Scooby with at least 400bhp in front. Strange thing was running different settings this year on the suspension and could not match my 0 - 60ft start time I did last year in the wet ( and I do mean wet).....infact I was only 1 second slower in the wet overall compared with last year, but the Noble looses over 3 seconds. The Pulsar car does handle well now much more progressive as you can slide it with much more confidence if needed.
Ill just hope for more rain in the future,,,there again i would love to beat them fair and square once I get more power. There was also another Pulsar competed he also did very well, was the next car behind me.
Not sure if it was the rear defuser but my finish speed was well up on last year at 86mph compared with 81 in the wet although a good exit speed in the dry on the last corner does help. All out for more power for next year.
Cheers
Phil

Jon Olds

Good stuff. Do you have any front wheelspins probs on slow corners? Mine seems very bad. If its not too cheeky, I would love to know what spring rates you are running. Here, or as a pm. Unlikely we would meet at an event, as I only do a couple a year, and mine runs a 34mm turbo inlet restrictor, so you'd probably leave me for dead anyway...

bracpan

I am still playing around with the spring rates at the moment and to be honest I think I might have gone slightly to hard this year, will be talking to the supplyer to try and get a better ballance or get the dampers to suit a bit better. I did get a bit of wheel spin at Shelsley between the S's but the car rocketed out of the top S and thats a real steep part of the hill. What make suspension are you using? Will keep you informed as I sort things out...
Phil

Jon Olds

Bilstein monotube dampers (the upside down ones) on home made 2 1/4 rear and 2 1/2 front springs. Platforms set to balance corner weights, havent checked them in the last three events, out of laziness....
Get wheel spin on 30 and 60mph corners (slow/medium)

bracpan

Got a nice suppries on the weekend, had an invite to the Midland Speed Championship Dinner to recieve a 2nd in class award.
More power is definatly need for next year to go for 1st.
Cheers
Phil