Racing the Pulsar

Trip

Hi Phil, Just been reading this thread. Well done and keep up the image.

I too am in process of doing hill climb but in a different country and I just started. Well first race will be next Sunday (29th). My only problem is I have 0% experience in the R. I cannot drive it on public roads and we only have ONE private road which is the drag strip. My only drive so far was to pick the car from the docks to my house(20min drive).

Check my thread.
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=256884

bracpan

Looks a great project,(any pics of the rollcage?) let us know how you get on. Just take you time and learn the car first. Then slowly build up you speed as you confidence improves and the confidence in the car as well.
All the best
Phil

Trip

no pics of rollcage.. ordered it but haven't arrived yet.. I had my first race yesterday.. the pulsar has great potential but since it was my first race, i couldn't take it to the limits. I still need to get confident with car. i had loads of understeer and the gearing ratio was not perfect... the race is only around 50 sec and most of the time in 2nd gear. 1st gear was hard to engage(syncro) at times so i had to keep it in 2nd gear most of the time.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Trip, get yourself an RB box if all your races are that short. It tops out at 123mph for me (7500rpm in 5th with 215/35/16tyres) and 2nd runs out at 55, so you may see third:lol:

Badge

Hi Phil,

Was wondering what settings you are running on your R, Camber, Toe etc, etc.

Have started track daying the car pretty heavily and seems to be very good with the settings done by Powerstation but would be interested in what anyone else is running.

Can't find the set up sheet from them this second but running about 1.2 deg of camber front and rear, kills the tyres for the road, but has given it some bite on turn in. Still suffering from more power understeer than I'd like but just one of the joys of a Pulsar.

bracpan

I am affraid thats my little secret...spent to much time and money to give away any advantage I might have gained.
Sorry
Phil

bracpan

Been fitting a rollcage to the Pulsar over the last week, got the main bends manufactured then cut and fitted the rest of the tubing, will hopefully finish welding it up in the next week and get some pics done.
Also got to finish my very light bonnet and tailgate then hope I have enough money left for some tuning bits ready for the new season.
Still looking for some sponsership as I thought i was getting some but did not come to anything.

Cheers

Phil

PS almost lost 3 stone as well...every bit helps

bracpan

Cage fitted and finished, took longer than planned but worth it as its very tight and strong. Light seats in and fitted and panels coming back from the spray shop today. Have my kelvar bonnet for sale if anybody is interested?. Racing starting again in May, dont think ill have enough money for a new Turbo & Injectors yet, shame as I always like to start the season with a bit more power, just hope the car handles better with the cage to gain some time there. Lost over 3 stones now will try top get one more off by May.
Need to get back on the sponsership trail as well. If anybody knows of a company that might be interested ( I dont need a huge budget, entrees and fuel would be OK) It would be a great help.
Got a few other small mods to make to the car, but will have to do them as the season goes on.
If anybody is at the meetings please come over and say hello.
Cheers
Phil

Last edited:

bracpan

Just driven the car with the cage fitted, substantial difference, no more rattles and crashing over bumps all feels much more solid big improvement to the handling. Seats and altered pedals working well to. Worth all the work. Only problem now is I have to have more power as I know the chassis will take it with ease. Think ill have to sell my body...if I do it by the pound ill be ok...he he he.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Wish I did not have to rely on others to get things done.... does anybody know of a good trailer for sale? Needs to carry 1200kg, 13ft by 6 deck, double wheels etc.Has to be a good make no welding class demo's....
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Not a bad start to the year.

On Saturday I was a bit worried that the car might be slower due to the weight of the cage etc, although I have tried to save weight in other areas and amazingly the car did almost identical an time as last year at Llandow ( 1/100 quicker) I was second in class, beating 3 Subaru's but loosing out to one. I believe he was about 5 mph quicker than me up the strait so probably has a bit more power.

Sunday was at Shelsley Walsh, tipped down with rain all day and I was the only full road legal car on road tyres in the class, against Porsches, Subaru's etc. I came 4th but should have grabbed second as 2 tenths covered the 3 of us from 2nd to 4th. I bogged down on the start so know where there time went. Again my speed trap times were down on the others but the car is handling better with the cage fitted.

I am up in Loton Park next Saturday, its a place I never got on with when racing minis etc but the Pulsar rides the bumps better so should be interesting to see how it goes.

I know need more power, so better save my pennies then go and see Ian.

Cheers

Phil

warringtonjack

I like the updates mate, keep em coming. I'd have popped up to see you at Llandow if i'd known. Always good to see an R on the track. Good luck fella.

bracpan

Had a good start to the weekends racing in Loton Park, after the first practice in the rain I was 4 seconds quicker than the rest of the class, and at the time the quickest car in the meeting....

Then on the second practice I had a big off, the car broke away on an adverse camber corner and spun down a bank with a sickening crunch!! For one split second I though I was going over but luckily it stayed on 4 wheels, just.

I drove the car back to the pits to find, a damaged wing and various under plastic panels hanging off and lots of mud and grass wedged in and around the suspension.

I re-attached the under panels and pushed the wing back in ( it was pushed out as the bumper hit the ground) I cleaned the grass out of the wheels tyes etc. I then got permission to drive the car back out on the road to see if it was ok. The steering wheel was slightly out when going down the road but the car drove ok.

I had it re-scrutineered and done my first timed run, and ended up 4th but was 5 seconds quicker than my wet run, on the second run I improved a bit more and ended up in 3rd. but some 3 seconds behind the winner.

I was lucky not to have had greater damage. I stripped the car down yesterday and repaired the wing etc. I am now looking to get it 4 wheel aligned and hopefully corner weighted at the same time.