Racing the Pulsar

kirko

:thumbsup: well done mate

ive joined nottingham sports car club this year so will be doing some sprints
from july hopefully

houghy_1

Well done Phil :first:

I love reading these updates,quality stuff8)

Just a thought but cant we get this topic and its updates on the forum portal???

Where the older article snippets are,replace them with something that broadcasts what the R can do when used in its racing form;-) 8) 8) :thumbsup:

Matt

bracpan

Pics ....thats a bit difficult as I go racing on my own so no one to take pics. There were 2 photographers at Llandow and they have some shots up on their sites but at over £10 a pic i will not be rushing to buy them.
The sites are www.proeventpix.co.uk & www.garyjonesrallypics.co.uk look for links to Llandow, the first one has pics up, waiting to see the second site. A friend of mine was going to come over for pics but forgot !!!!
Ill see what I can get of other competitiors, who do I send them to as I cant seem to get pics up on here?
Cheers
Phil.

Dooie Pop Pop

houghy_1 said:
Well done Phil :first:

I love reading these updates,quality stuff8)

Just a thought but cant we get this topic and its updates on the forum portal???

Where the older article snippets are,replace them with something that broadcasts what the R can do when used in its racing form;-) 8) 8) :thumbsup:

Matt
it needs to be posted in the 'news' section.

nice one Phil:thumbsup:

bracpan

Getting ready for the next race, got another standard drivers seat, cut all the runners of it then welded in the position I liked then striped all the adjustment equipment out of it, got a nice solid seat now is much lighter and looks standard.
Have also fitted larger rear discs, plus making a throttle pedal which I can heal and toe better. Will also be fitting new tyres before the next event. Fingers crossed ill beet the Scoobys again.
Cheers
Phil

GINGA

Good luck for the next race, did my first sprint last week with the mlr, was exellent fun, doing another on Thursday which I'm really looking forward to now.
Have to see how the next one goes but its got me seriously thinking about selling the taxi and getting something cheaper (more crashable) and doing some proper sprints........ do you know of any held nearer London? as most seem to be in Wales or Cornwall etc

bracpan

http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/

Have a look at this site it sould give you more info on what and where to go racing.
Not sure of what is around London but ill be supriesed if you cant find a few around there.
Another idea is to do a day with someone like Rob Gravett Ultimate Car Control, he is in the Surrey Area. I am even thinking of this myself to see if I can learn a bit more.
Best of luck and hope you do well.
Cheers
Phil

bracpan

Had a good and bad weekend, on Saturday turned up in the car complete with new tyres, bigger rear brakes, few other small mods etc. Went out on first practice and spun the car on the fastest flat out 4th gear corner....came back changed underwear...
The car was handling terrible like on Jelly..they then cancelled any other practices as some t*t in Caterham had dropped oil all over the track so we were strait into the timed runs. Had a very scrappy first run almost spinning again, final run felt better but was to late to catch the leading Scooby and finished 2nd over 2 seconds behind him.
Rechecked the car in the evening a but was all ok.
Sunday, first practice and the car felt much better almost back to normal. Had a great battle thru the day with the Scooby swapping the lead after every run, but sadly lost by a few tenths in the end. But was a great battle as the car felt better on every run.
Other problem I had was having to carry so much fuel to stop fuel surge, tank had to be half full, dam it. I also would go better with a closer ratio box as the gap fron 2nd to 3rd could be closer.
Car felt fantastic by the end of the day after the tyres had bedding in, will make sure next time. ( but the extra paractice would have helped to)
Doing another 2 events in 2 weeks time will keep you informed
Phil.

bracpan

2 more events at the weekend, bloody hot. Llandow on Saturday was another very close race between me and a Subaru was only a few tenths in it. Was set for a really flat out drive on the last timed run, was really flying, ( commentator & marshals commented) but had a moment braking from 90mph to a second gear corner and dropped half a second...can not repeat what I called myself after.... so came second.

Sunday was a hillclimb in Llys y Fran west Wales, its a track that I have never really got to terms with yet. I was determined to improve on my previous times so spent time talking to the corner marshals etc to see if they could see if I was doing anything different. It done the trick was over 1.5 seconds quicker than I have ever been before, was 3rd in class but 1 second covered us from 1st to 3rd. I seriously need to sort my fuel surge problem out for next year and will put the car ( and me) on a serious diet for next season. If I can find another 1 second I would have won the last 4 events. We also had a word to see if we can be put back against other large production cars for next year. Its so much better racing against TVR's, BMW's etc etc .

Cheers

Phil

bracpan

Raced in Prescott on Saturday, one problem was having the Midland Champion in the same class in his 450+ Evo V. Also had a scare when my clutch slipped (Helix) bad on the second practice. Was lucky to have well over an hour to let it cool down and was no problem for the rest of the meeting, again had a great race with a Subaru and came third less than 4 hundreds of a second behing him, and that was missing a gear on the run. Was only 2.5 seconds slower than my old special saloon time set many years ago on full slicks in my 200bhp Riley Elf. Could really feel the lack of grip in the tyres as they sqeeled around every corner. But fingers crossed should still hold onto second in class in both the Welsh and Midland Speed Championships.
Have a list of modifications ready for the winter, including a full rollcage, sorting the fuel surge, strip out carpets & sound deadning, lighter tailgate and bonnet and hopefully 2 composite racing seats and a racing battery, plus a few stone off me.
Would also love a Quiafe G/B and more power but I will have to see how the funds go as I also need a trailer. Going to have to win the lottery soon.

Thanks again for all you encouragement will keep you informed.

Phil

P

pulsarboby

well done phil sounds like your kicking some butt.
had the same probs with mine on track with fuel surge (especially lefthanders) but have bought swirl pot s/h but never fitted with a small walbro built into it, its quite a weird little unit that sits under your bonnet, will pm you details if your after one! have not fitted yet but there supposed to be very good.
good luck with the rest of the season and whip that scooby!

bracpan

pulsarboby said:
well done phil sounds like your kicking some butt.
had the same probs with mine on track with fuel surge (especially lefthanders) but have bought swirl pot s/h but never fitted with a small walbro built into it, its quite a weird little unit that sits under your bonnet, will pm you details if your after one! have not fitted yet but there supposed to be very good.
good luck with the rest of the season and whip that scooby!

Yes would love to see that, I have some idea as well so will keep you informed.

Cheers

Phil

P

pulsarboby

i will pm you details of it tomorrow as ive never seen one like this before, would be interested to hear ideas!

houghy_1

Excellent fella keep it going and keep the reports coming always a good read:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If thers ever any web coverage,links and the like post em up;-)

Matt

bracpan

ok will do, I have been getting a few photos done of the car to make up a proper prospectus so I can apply for some sponsership for next year. Will send some in once i get them.
I believe I am still second in class in both the championships so I feel I have showed what myself and the car can do on a very limited budget so with the help of some reasonable sponsership, say entrees and some help with the fuel costs I know I can then develop the car into a very competative machine in Sprints and Hillclimbs. I would love to get back to racing in the big Nationl events that I used to compete in before. Was third in my class in Britain 2 years running in a car with the smallest engine ( 1.3 turbo Mini in the unlimited Special Saloon class)
The care is sticker and sign writing free at the moment so its a clean sheet ready for a good sponser. So I any of you have any idea of a company who might be interested let me know ASAP. For the right price they can have adverts on my tow car as well, both cars are in black.
Will keep you undated as I go on
Cheers
Phil

P

pulsarboby

best of luck phil, not easy getting sponsorship deals as ive found out!
did however have a major stroke of luck the other day, in the form of a major tyre distributor, as im a mechanic and use this particular company quite a bit, and am in the process of negotiating a deal with them, but that is through sheer luck as unlike yourself im new to curcuit racing so very lucky indeed as tyres are one of the main costs as you well know.
anyway good luck mate with the season and sponsorship, hope you do well!

bracpan

Its entree fees and Fuel ( to and from the event) that is the main cost for me. That of course is not counting the work done on the car and tuning. If I could get help with the first two it would free more money for the tuning of the car.
I did manage to get 2nd in class in both championships so not a bad year considering. Have some plans ready for next year allI need now is the money...lol
thinlk ill buy some more lottery tickets..
Cheers
Phil.
PS they say money isnt everything, but by god it helps.