Oil advice and recommendations here

gtir_pimp

hi oilman. i have a pulsar running about 300bhp with usual supporting mods, fuel pump, front mount intercooler,etc,etc. is this any good?what would you recommend? am currently using castrol edge sport 10w 60, the stuff used in bmw m-power engines. its changed every 3000miles and oil temps never really go above 100deg.C only used on road,no track time. cheers

oilman

hi oilman. i have a pulsar running about 300bhp with usual supporting mods, fuel pump, front mount intercooler,etc,etc. is this any good?what would you recommend? am currently using castrol edge sport 10w 60, the stuff used in bmw m-power engines. its changed every 3000miles and oil temps never really go above 100deg.C only used on road,no track time. cheers
Firstly the Edge Sport 10w-60 is not recommended for M-Series Engines, that's the Edge 10w-60 only and secondly with those temps, 10w-60 is going to be way to thick when warmed up as 100degC is nothing.

You would be better off using a 5w-40 / 10w-50 / 15w-50

For example at 100degC

sae 40 is 14cst, sae 50 is 18cst and sae 60 is 24cst

I would drop the 10w-60 in favour of a thinner oil which will give better BHP, better Fuel consumption and lower engine temperatures.

Cheers
Simon

gtir_pimp

couldnt remember if it was edge or edge sport. i only used this as it was recommended by a mate who has a pulsar and uses it whos a mechanic/tuner. next oil change i will try something thinner then. i want the best protection for the engine. any particular make to go for? and out of those 3 which is best? thanks

oilman

couldnt remember if it was edge or edge sport. i only used this as it was recommended by a mate who has a pulsar and uses it whos a mechanic/tuner. next oil change i will try something thinner then. i want the best protection for the engine. any particular make to go for? and out of those 3 which is best? thanks
Give us a shout when you are ready and we'll give you a deal on something suitable

Cheers
Guy

culzwright

what engine oil would you recommend for my pulsar, every day road use, fmic, 1 bar of boost,exhaust, air filter pretty standard apart from that? cheers

olliecast

culzwright, from the first page of this thread, nigh on the same spec.

Hi mate, id be gratefull for an oil reccomendation?
I currently have mobil 1 15W 50 in my engine, is this ok?

Make/model: Nissan pulsar RNN14
Year: 1994
Engine size/tyoe: 2000cc turbo (SR20DET)
Mods: Full exhaust sytem, Hks Induction kit, Bleed valve (running 1bar) and an adjustable FPR.
Current oil: As above

The car is for normal road use. Oil pressure atm sits just about 4 on the gauge when driving n motorway at 80 and temp is about 70, sometimes goes up to 80.

Cheers.

Smo

Hello mate,

I would appreciate it if you could recommend me some gear oils for my Pulsar?

Make - Nissan Pulsar GTi-R
Model - RNN14
Year - K (92?)
Engine size/type - Stroked 2.2 Fully Forged
Mods - Too many to list!
Usage - Fast Road

Additional Information - I'm currently running Fully Synthetic 10w50 in the engine as per your recommendation previously. I'm currently taking my gearbox off so I might as well change the oils in the whole system - which would you recommend for the engine? I'm after oils to use in my gearbox and transfer box also. Perhaps a Semi Synthetic 75w90? But you're the expert!

Cheers.

Smo

Thank you mate, any idea how many litres I would need to fill both my gear and transfer boxes?

Cheers.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Thank you mate, any idea how many litres I would need to fill both my gear and transfer boxes?

Cheers.
It's been asked and answered hundreds of times before.

Gearbox 4.2L
Transfer 1.5L
Rear diff 1L

pulsarmoley

Hi oilman, my pulsar currently runs @ 1 bar with around 280hp and im using a semi synthetic 10w40 oil from planet oils. Should i be ashamed of not putting in expensive oil or is this ok as my temp gauge never goes over 100 degrees c and holds around 4 on the pressure gauge on motorways. Your advice would be appreciated thanks Pete.

GTiR-Aholic

He's already answered this question I'm sure a million times over but I think on page 7 you'll find a similar question to yours.. same setup with extra 20hp and he advised 5w-40 / 10w-50 / 15w-50

Smo

Anybody know what the offer code is for GTiROC members for our 10% discount? Or do we have to place our order by phone?

Cheers.

Edit: Sorted.

Last edited:

sparky paul

hey,
im on a standard gearbox running around 330bhp.. am using 10w 50 silikone s as recommended for the engine but which oil would be best for the gearbox? thanks.