Oil advice and recommendations here

GTiRlover

Thanks youngsyp and oilman for the information. My reasoning for letting the car idle was to let the oil pressure drop slightly before driving however as I now understand there is no need!

youngsyp- you made a very good point about the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oil not getting upto temp when the car is stationary. I have always allowed for this and driven conservatively so as not to stress any part of the car when driving from cold.

oilman- by oil temp has never been over 120deg and that was on a mild day, as youngsyp has mentioned I may think about changing the oil I use for something more suitable for the temperatures my oil usually operates within...

oilman

GTiRlover said:
Thanks youngsyp and oilman for the information. My reasoning for letting the car idle was to let the oil pressure drop slightly before driving however as I now understand there is no need!

youngsyp- you made a very good point about the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oil not getting upto temp when the car is stationary. I have always allowed for this and driven conservatively so as not to stress any part of the car when driving from cold.

oilman- by oil temp has never been over 120deg and that was on a mild day, as youngsyp has mentioned I may think about changing the oil I use for something more suitable for the temperatures my oil usually operates within...
Something like this

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

Cheers

alfyboy

youngsyp said:
P.s. Just to add, I'll be switching to a 5w40 at the next oil change, for the better cold start protection. My oil has never been over 110 degrees C so, I don't need the extended temp range of the 10w50. Although, I'm sure the 5w40 will offer good protection up to and slightly beyond 130 degrees C.
I always thought 5w was too thin for the sr20det engine?
Does the 5w not leak past the turbo seals and burn off?

warringtonjack

When battering round the track my oil temps went off the gauge during the last run i.e. 150c+, so its obviously time for me to invest in an oil cooler, but would the protection have been compromised in any way? The car has run fine on the road since.

youngsyp

oilman said:
Yes they do, hard to come by though. You will find it mainly in France and places like that.

Cheers

Guy.
I stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes !

That would explain why I couldn't see it on the Mobil 1 UK website too.

Paul

oilman

warringtonjack said:
When battering round the track my oil temps went off the gauge during the last run i.e. 150c+, so its obviously time for me to invest in an oil cooler, but would the protection have been compromised in any way? The car has run fine on the road since.
What oil are you currently using? At those temps its deffo oil cooler time.

Cheers

Guy

alfyboy

youngsyp said:
Don't you mean Mobil 1 15w50 ? They don't make a 5w50 car oil !

Paul
bugger, your right it is 15w ive got lying about. Dont really like 15w oils. Think ill just use castrol egde10w60 or valveolene racing 5w50

alfyboy

sorry, another quick question.
Is it ok to run 75w85 gear oil? Or is it best to stick with 75w90?

thanks

B

bigdave7107

NEW GUY! Just bought my first pulsar last week and i'm looking for adice on which oil to use. It's done 75000 odd miles has a set of hks cams, running 1 bar of boost, lightened and balanced flywheel and arp rod bolts with recent bearings. I always let the car heat up before hitting the noisy pedal but have noticed a bit of a rattle, sounds a bit like an old fiesta only a lot quieter! Any Ideas how to cure this? The pressure guage sits at 4 on motorway.

Cheers

B

bigdave7107

cheers man. I'll give it a go. I just hope it isnt the big ends. I read on another thread these cars are notorious for big end munching!

R

riske

Advice needed ASAP!

Want to give my new baby a full service but need info on what oils to use.

Gearbox?
Engine?
LSD?
are there any others?

ASAP help will be greatfully appreciated!;-)