Helix or RPS

Helix or RPS

• Total voters

Mark_GTiR

I'm sure this poll might have got a bit out of hand now between you traders... I got what I wanted (a good idea on what clutch to choose) and members views and I'll let you know what I think...

Cheers
Mark

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Salmon_GTiR said:
I'm sure this poll might have got a bit out of hand now between you traders...
Exactly, so can you all let it rest now please, before another thread get's locked because it's turned to sh!te :(

S

srbpower

Wow.... errrmmm thread!

Mike 8) I think it was just the tone:
ex-gtir said:
dont talk out your asse most covers dont look the same yes helix ap and nissan do because the cover (not the internal) is made in the same factory
i probally seen more clutchs than you had hot dinner :roll:
Thanks we are worth the respect mike :wink: We defo are not box shifters and it was never our aim or intention to become one. In answer to your question mike, no we don't open every box. People would get pissed off if we opened every box :lol: But yes we have spent a lot of time with the product, Dan is also off to Californian to go thought the actual design/production process and inspect a few new products in the factory. Oh and to get a tan :lol:. Also bear in mind before we took on RPS and become the European distributor, we used to deal AP, Exedy, Helix, Spec to name but a few on a very regular basis. But we did our research and that is why we jumped at the chance to take on RPS. Yes they are or were ‘unheard of’ for the GTiR. Until we decided to let Lionel lose with one. Although if you look in the states. They are the biggest thing since sliced bread for Mk4 Supras, GT4’s, 200’s, Evo 7 & 8’s. One of the RPS demo cars is a Mk4 Supra that runs around 1400 at the wheel. The guy drives it to the track and its been running the RPS clutch happily for a few years now :wink:

Yes the Helix will win this poll; I would have thought that the margin would have been more. Simply because we have only been pushing the clutch for the R, for less than a year after testing and people have been running Helix clutches for a good number of years. So for it to be so close only shows what we have always believed. Give it time… :wink:

This was very similar with the GT4's, but now the RPS clutch is the only clutch to have for a vast majority of there owners. Simply because its proven to be far far better than anything else (within reason :roll: ). So much so that we struggle to keep up with demand. The story is almost again with the same with the Mk4 sup's. Which is why we did our research and tested one in an R. Because we knew that the product absolutely rocks and would be ideal for an R. Which is being shown by the feedbback on these clutchs from R owners and from the results of this poll.

Given the feedback, there is now definitely an alternative clutch for R owners to use, because choice is good :) and that was our goal.

Salmon_GTiR said:
srbpower said:
Other than that, those who have the RPS in their car know what they're like and how good they are. This poll makes great reading for us since we only introduced RPS to the R's around July last year. Helix have been around a lot longer than that so we're glad to see we made such an impact so soon :!:

RC Developments
MA Developments
CPP Motor Developments
Amber Performance
Innovate Performance
Whifbitz
Miami GT
Envy Performance

Just some of the guys you will no doubt have heard of that run RPS and sell RPS.
err yeah....
Mark sorry this was probably not clear, the reference to the tuners/parts suppliers is that there cars run RPS clutches. That’s not though being brand suppliers/stockists, it’s because the clutch’s rock. The RC Evo has gone though every brand that we have all spoken of and eaten them for lunch, dinner and tea. But now the car is running an RPS Carbon Carbon clutch and it loves it apparently. With a clutch feel that is not far of that of the standard evo clutch… yet it holds 1000lbft

We have put a lot of time and effort into promoting RPS as a brand and it’s paying off. We have simply loads trader dealers within the UK and on the continent who now push an amazing volumne of RPS products and we are struggling to cope with demand. Hence the volume that we ship on what is now every other week. With no problems…. only amazing feedback. Which is why we made such an effort to become the official European distributor for RPS clutches and to prove that they work in an R.

Maybe run the poll again in a year?

Si :)

J

jiw

is it worth having this type of poll, how many of the people that voted have both ran an RPS clutch and a Helix to compare? also the amount of votes for rps, are their that many in action that have been put to the test? i bet the majority of the voters aint even got the RPS fitted into their cars and have voted, imo not a fair poll at all, maybe it was too early to use it as a benchmark and start to diss Helix

O

Olly

lionel_drift_R said:
lol.................when you put it in ay 1st it feelis like a paddle mate , my one did but ones you give it some miles it setls down and its not so hard ,

you realy love this clutch.
Alas so did the Ap then it died 2 years later and went softer and softer friction material seems to rapidly wear away...... But lets give RPS time to prove it self before we judge it :lol: A coule of years, over a bar all the time, big wheels and we will see. 8)

S

srbpower

If you want to see how RPS fairs up over time in an R, we'll have to wait and see. If you can take a good indication of how it fairs up from another car, look on the 300zx club forum, where they've been running them for around 4 years now and the reponse to the which clutch question there usually ends in a barage of answers, which all say RPS 8)

Anyway the man who started the poll got the info he wanted and made his choice, so I'm sure he'll be able to report back and add to the growing feedback on the product in an R.

and Mike, considering you said, on page 1:
everyone knows i do it for the love in my spare time
Why are you so narky about it and feel the need to have a go at companies? To anyone looking in, it may look like the reaction of someone who's suddenly not making as much money.

ex-gtir

srbpower said:
Why are you so narky about it and feel the need to have a go at companies? To anyone looking in, it may look like the reaction of someone who's suddenly not making as much money.
good point si if your clutchs last for ever im going to lose loads of work
so everyone please buy exedy clutchs and keep me in work :lol: :lol:

pete-r

my rps gets fitted in a couple of weeks,ill be running over 400bhp .ill also be going straight to santa pod to check it all out,the car will regularly be getting a good beasting so time will tell i suppose but i done my research on this clutch before parting with my cash and all ive read is good.

O

Olly

Interesting about the Supra's i have small knowledge with them but SRB do you do a clutch for Supra TT 1994 6 speed manual box version that will take 700bhp at least cos i am working on something big at the mo.? Seems my mate only has small amount of options cos its manual and know one will say yes or no they will hold it all together. 8) cheers pm if you like with your options.
Olly

S

srbpower

Olly, best give us a ring mate when you have a spare 5 minutes. No rush I guess :lol: I can think of at least 3 supras running that kind of power in the UK who use RPS. Dan will know more, but it isn't cheap!

Here is a quick link to one of RPS's press articles.
http://www.turboclutch.com/pdf/RYANWOON.pdf

Si :)

S

srbpower

Olly said:
Interesting about the Supra's i have small knowledge with them but SRB do you do a clutch for Supra TT 1994 6 speed manual box version that will take 700bhp at least cos i am working on something big at the mo.? Seems my mate only has small amount of options cos its manual and know one will say yes or no they will hold it all together. 8) cheers pm if you like with your options.
Olly
Single plate 6-paddle plate rated to 825lbft mate, £580. If there's agonna be lots of drag racing going on though, that kind of power needs nothing less than twin disc carbon carbon, which is what the likes of Envy use in their JZA80 TT. Not cheap, at £2150, but will take 1000lbft all day every day, the hotter it gets the grippier it gets, it will NOT glaze, burn or warp and if you can wear it out within a year we'll rebuild it FREE. That mental RC developments Evo runs this kit, just to give you an idea of it's capabilities.

Anyway, hijack over but it's easier for me to post here than you calling us I guess, since I'm here already ;)

Dan

hmmm

How do the Max Street clutches feel on the pedal with the lightened flywheel? Are they as light as the Helix Organic?

S

srbpower

Re: ...

I just answered this one on the other thread mate, but no worries, just a cut n paste and here ya go :)

srbpower said:
hmmm said:
How do the Max Street clutches feel on the pedal with the lightened flywheel? Are they as light as the Helix Organic?
The honest answer here is that I really can't say, as I've not felt the peddle in both. My educated answer would be that I think the MAX STREET will have a slightly stiffer pedal. The reason for this is that Helix, AP, Exedy all use what is basically a standard type Cover with a modified pressure plate (PP), which is basically pretty much on a par with the RPS SPORT kits, although RPS do have their own patent on their PP technology, which is implemented a small amount in the SPORT kits, but utilised fully in the MAX series.

If you wanted to compare the 2 makes then the RPS SPORT series kit has a lighter peddle than the Helix, AP and Exedy, and is the closest in performance to them.

When you look at the MAX kits, it's a totally different ball game really as none of the other kits will be stated to take anything like 475lbft.

Exedy - don't give any rated performance figures, just say around 300hp or there abouts, depending who you speak to.
Helix organic - rated to 295lbft
Helix Paddle - rated to 328lbft
AP organic and paddle - both rated to 284lbft

All these kits compare closest to the RPS SPORT kits in performance, but price wise, they're more like the RPS MAX :lol:

Mark_GTiR

Just picked the car up - clutch fitted in a few hours at a really good price.. PM me if you want the details of the guy (NW - Manchester). I would certainly recommend him... anyway.. on to the clutch.

Jumped in behind the wheel, clutch pedal feels a fair bit stiffer but not too bad.. snaps up really quick which I quite like - well impressed ha ha took me a few attempts from the lights to get a smooth take off but I'll get used to that I suppose as it beds in more. I can't comment anymore other than to say it pulls the car very nice and smooth. I've only owned my R for six months so it would be unfair to say it's better than any other clutch wouldn't it!! For certain I know it's far better than the slipping pile of monkey spu nk standard thing that has now been binned!!!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments and a big thanks to SRB for supplying the clutch and advice over the phone.. top firm 8) .
Mark

K

kizzyturbo4x4

time of the truth.... ive fooked up.
it was al a matter of adjusting the clutch fork travel, by adjusting the master sylinder :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
but then for the first time in 4 months the car is 100% up and running! :lol: :lol: im so relived im almost flying here! :lol:

And the clutch is amazing to drive, smooth and at the same time tight as !. althougt ive only had standard and a 4-puck sinter plate before. standard shite and so`s the sinter. broke them both to pieces.