At a complete loss here - guidance please!

MATTYGREEN

RishiGTiR said:
350bhp on a Standard Engine

Turbo
GT2871 @ 1.2bar ish

Management and Fueling
ECU or Controller of choice
Boost Controller of choice
Walbro 225L
550cc Injectors
Z32 MAF
Denso IK27 Plugs

Induction
Filter
BOV
Exhaust
FMIC

All the other bits like suspension, brakes etc is upto you but the above will see you to 350bhp

May have missed something but thats just off the top of my head

Rishi

That's pretty much the same spec as i'm running :)

Although i'm hoping to hit 370bhp if possible :) just need to run my clutch in, then have a quick re-map....

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
MATTYGREEN said:
That's pretty much the same spec as i'm running :)

Although i'm hoping to hit 370bhp if possible :) just need to run my clutch in, then have a quick re-map....

Well with the cams and some decent mapping you'll see 390bhp @ 1.5bar as Coxie did on that turbo.

1.2bar is a safer way to go on the standard engine . Should see a nice 350bhp

Rishi

MATTYGREEN

RishiGTiR said:
Well with the cams and some decent mapping you'll see 390bhp @ 1.5bar as Coxie did on that turbo.

1.2bar is a safer way to go on the standard engine . Should see a nice 350bhp

Rishi

I'll find out at the end of Feb :)

Am very tempted to have it mapped to 1.5bar even on the standard engine as it will only be used on high boost at the Pod and the odd mad moment on the road :)

Will post my results...

R

*Red*

GTiR_Mic said:
HI Red how are you doing?

Jon still got his site on the go?

You get rid of your Starlet?

Mic

Hey! How are you?

I'm good thank you. Jon and I split in May, but as far as I know he's all good too.

The site died at the beginning of 2006, numbers dwindled and he lost interest I think, which was a shame :(

Yep I did, to a lad I still talk to who's looking after her well so it's nice to see she went to a loving home.

And as you can see, I brought the Pulsar off Jonny :D

P

pulsarboby

hi red
im from essex too8) wherebouts are you?
glad that your car doesnt need anything much doing to it, look at it as a result:-D

just rebuilt my engine, and even doing it yourself it aint cheap.
hate to say it but my arch enemy rob (odin) is right 'even though hes a complete burk' about getting stuff from abroad ie the states, i just bought a lovely 3071r turbo for considerably less than £700 incl p+p a lot less than you will pay in the uk!
search and you will find;-)

if you ever need any s/h parts im very reasonable on price and can deliver if needs be, and all bits are guaranteed (untill fitted):lol: dont get me wrong im not trying to flog you anything, but is handy as im not far away!

good luck with part searching anyway!

dont suppose you can do me a favour and find out where olly gets cars mapped, can you?
as i cant do this myself and need to find someone who's good and fairly local!

R

*Red*

Hey,

I'm just off the M25/A12 Junction.. Between Brentwood and Romford.

I definitely will look for parts abroad, looked around last night for some things and it really is so much cheaper isn't it?!

Thanks a lot for the offer of s/h parts, I will no doubt bug you at some point!

I will indeedy give Olly a call and find out for you! :D

P

pulsarboby

is that nr ingatestone?

thanks would be much appreciated if you could find out for me;-)

GTiR_Mic

Red just watch yourself if you ever meet up with Boby....you may end up going missing ;) :lol:

Im doing OK thanks, just been having problems with the R since I bought it....joys of ownership :lol:

Good that the Starlet is being looked after.

I do remember Jonny saying that the clutch was slipping in the car, did you get that fixed? As I remember it was just the Nismo pressure plate with a standard Nissan clutch.

Mic

Last edited:

boucherie

bobby, what management are you running because engine advantages in witham should be able to sort you out with a remap as they did mine with the powerfc.

*red* just to let you know that with a gt3071 turbo, 800cc injectors, 1.2Bar, stainless manifold and the Stock maf and elbow i was making 358bhp by 6k and then the restrictions in the size of the maf and elbow reduced the power output. since then ive fitted a custom 3" downpipe with screamer pipe off the wastegate and fitted a 80mm Maf so il let you know how much that all makes when it gets remapped and thats all on standard engine bits and a shotpeened gearbox. like you im going to be buying the parts in from the states. if you send me your email address via PM il see if i can get a decent price for 2 sets of pistons, ARP head and con rod bolts etc from the states.

Ian

ashills

rob you are tuners best mate to say the least, you know our turbos are a good price to you guys on here
the amount of people that get in touch saying ive bought a 3071 from usa and it doesnt fit is incredible there are times when it pays to buy the right bits

O

Odin

ashills said:
rob you are tuners best mate to say the least, you know our turbos are a good price to you guys on here
the amount of people that get in touch saying Ive bought a 3071 from USA and it doesn't fit is incredible there are times when it pays to buy the right bits
I'm not pointing the finger at you Ash, Your turbo's are not a bad price for the UK, As they come with a proper actuator bracket to fit the Pulsar, But if you are able to make stuff up like this yourself then their is still a good saving to be had from buying in the US, I got quoted £720 for a GT3076R and that was with out the discount they will give club members if you ask, And that was also with a polished housing.

If you are going to be buying an external gated turbo like myself then their is absolutely no benefit to buying here at all, Apart from its easier to sort out warranty repairs if need be, Also even if people do buy their turbo off your company its still not a straight forward like for like fitting, Their is still plenty of modification to be done to fit one of these turbo's ;-) , It's not just about actuator brackets.

Rob

R

*Red*

pulsarboby said:
is that nr ingatestone?

thanks would be much appreciated if you could find out for me;-)

It's about 20 minutes down the A12 from Ingatestone.

Just called Olly, the place is called Horsham Developments.

GTiR_Mic said:
Red just watch yourself if you ever meet up with Boby....you may end up going missing ;) :lol:

I do remember Jonny saying that the clutch was slipping in the car, did you get that fixed? As I remember it was just the Nismo pressure plate with a standard Nissan clutch.

Mic

Lol Mic, thanks for the warning ;) I'll remember to get tagged if/when I ever do so I can be tracked :lol:

As for the clutch, I wasn't aware of that. I know he thought she had a problem, but I don't think he ever knew exactly what it was. I know the slave clutch went (I think…) and Olly came down to replace that. Thanks for the info about the pressure plate, you know more about my car than I do! :lol:

boucherie said:
*red* just to let you know that with a gt3071 turbo, 800cc injectors, 1.2Bar, stainless manifold and the Stock maf and elbow i was making 358bhp by 6k and then the restrictions in the size of the maf and elbow reduced the power output. since then ive fitted a custom 3" downpipe with screamer pipe off the wastegate and fitted a 80mm Maf so il let you know how much that all makes when it gets remapped and thats all on standard engine bits and a shotpeened gearbox. like you im going to be buying the parts in from the states. if you send me your email address via PM il see if i can get a decent price for 2 sets of pistons, ARP head and con rod bolts etc from the states.

Ian

Thanks for the offer Ian :D

I'm getting a little confused again so would be really grateful for people's opinions on the plans I'd decided to go with for the moment based on everything that was said yesterday. Rishi, Rob (Odin) etc….

Little things to do engine wise were an oil change using the Pro Silkoline stuff (like normal), inc. a gearbox oil change using MT90 gearbox oil. Change the spark plugs over to Denso IK27's if they're not already, and fuelling & aqua mist systems checked (seems to be a couple of lil faults with both atm). Blitz Dual SBC type R boost controller fitted and set to 1.2 bar.

Next will be the Greddy emanage system and remap (possibly by Micr Ed on here - need to speak to)

Possibly going to go for the GT2871 turbo and a set of 550 injectors with a Z32 MAF, and perhaps a twin core aluminium radiator.

Will look into a Whiteline handling kit (when I research/figure out/someone tells me what it actually is and does! :lol: )

Now that Mic's said that the clutch in my car is a standard one, I'm thinking I should go for a Helix organic clutch and lightened flywheel? Is there any way I can actually check what clutch is in there for once and all?

Does that all make sense?!

Is it all relevant for what I want out of the car or have I missed things out and included things that are not worth replacing?? Are there better alternatives?? If I'm doing the things listed above, will I need a new set of pistons, ARP head and con rod bolts? And what exactly is "etc" ?! Being a girl means you need to explain these things, using short simple words!!!!! :oops:

Just as a recap, Penny currently has: Induction filter/ HKS SSQV/ Forge FMIC/ Walbro 225L Fuel Pump/ Aqua mist kit/ Mongoose Exhaust/ a set of Brembo 4Pots/ and by all accounts, a Nismo pressure plate with a standard Nissan clutch. Think that's about it!

Ta very much :D

*waits patiently*

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
*Red* said:
Thanks for the offer Ian :D

I'm getting a little confused again so would be really grateful for people's opinions on the plans I'd decided to go with for the moment based on everything that was said yesterday. Rishi, Rob (Odin) etc….

Little things to do engine wise were an oil change using the Pro Silkoline stuff (like normal), inc. a gearbox oil change using MT90 gearbox oil. Change the spark plugs over to Denso IK27's if they're not already, and fuelling & aqua mist systems checked (seems to be a couple of lil faults with both atm). Blitz Dual SBC type R boost controller fitted and set to 1.2 bar.

Next will be the Greddy emanage system and remap (possibly by Micr Ed on here - need to speak to)

Possibly going to go for the GT2871 turbo and a set of 550 injectors with a Z32 MAF, and perhaps a twin core aluminium radiator.

Will look into a Whiteline handling kit (when I research/figure out/someone tells me what it actually is and does! :lol: )

Now that Mic's said that the clutch in my car is a standard one, I'm thinking I should go for a Helix organic clutch and lightened flywheel? Is there any way I can actually check what clutch is in there for once and all?

Does that all make sense?!

Is it all relevant for what I want out of the car or have I missed things out and included things that are not worth replacing?? Are there better alternatives?? If I'm doing the things listed above, will I need a new set of pistons, ARP head and con rod bolts? And what exactly is "etc" ?! Being a girl means you need to explain these things, using short simple words!!!!! :oops:

Just as a recap, Penny currently has: Induction filter/ HKS SSQV/ Forge FMIC/ Walbro 225L Fuel Pump/ Aqua mist kit/ Mongoose Exhaust/ a set of Brembo 4Pots/ and by all accounts, a Nismo pressure plate with a standard Nissan clutch. Think that's about it!

Ta very much :D

*waits patiently*
You've got it just about right there.. Take a look at the spec i posted earlier..

Things to note...

You'd be safer with a Front Mount Intercooler Kit

Don't just set the boost to 1.2bar. Check the AFR readings as you or person setting up raises the boost. However with the Walbro 225L Pump upgrade i have generally found that the car fuels fine to 1.2bar on the standard turbo

GT2871R is perfect for your needs and an Emanage would be fine with that stage of tune. At this point i would then think about the Twin Core Ali Rad too. Along with the 550cc injectors and Z32 MAF.

With regards to the clutch. Most or nearly all single plate organic clutches for the GTiR uses the standard clutch plate. All they do is use their own Preasure Cover. Some are higher pressures that others. Use too much and you will damage the clutch disc plate..

Sarah your NISMO one would probably be fine. It is a NISMO one as i checked one of Jonny's earlier posts about his car. However, over time it will wear. If it feels fine just now then go with it. If you need to change it then do so when the time comes and we can help you chose one.

Hope that helps.

Rishi

Keira

the buy stuff from abroad, get an engine builder to do the work route of modding a car is all well and good if you can do the majority of the work yourself. i.e removing the engine, stripping the engine, then bolting it all back up when the builds done but if you cant what do you end up with worst case scenerio ?

so and so takes engine out, someone else builds it, someone else puts it back but the so and so that took it out has lost bolts, rounded heads off blah, blah, so the someone else that puts it back in doesn't worry about it, everythings ready to go and........................the car wont start and nothing thats being done to it is going to get it going.

who do you point the finger at then ?

the bloke who puts the engine back in will say he's only put the engine in, the engine builder will say i've only built the engine, the bloke that took the engine out will say i only took an engine out.

you've spent aload of money and the car doesn't work and you're fooked...where do you go then ?

to many cooks spoil the broth and all that ;)

its all well and good buying loads of parts yourself but you could end up in the shit anyways.

people that cant, dont want to or dont know anyone that can do the work, would be best of with one company/person doing the f@cking lot and be done with it, if you have to buy parts through them so be it.

R

*Red*

*amended list*

Little things to do engine wise were an oil change using the Pro Silkoline stuff (like normal), inc. a gearbox oil change using MT90 gearbox oil. Change the spark plugs over to Denso IK27's if they're not already, and fuelling & aqua mist systems checked (seems to be a couple of lil faults with both atm). Blitz Dual SBC type R boost controller fitted and set to 1.2 bar (being sure to check the AFR readings as boost is raised).

Next will be the Greddy emanage system and remap. (Mirc Ed or possibly Horsham Developments)

Front Mount InterCooler Kit ;) (where from? what am I looking at if I see one?!)

Going to go for the GT2871R turbo, along with a twin core aluminium radiator, a set of 550cc injectors and a Z32 MAF.

Will look into a Whiteline anti dive handling kit/ bump steer kit *ASK OLLY*

Leaving the clutch as it is, because wise people told me so and it seems fine atm! ;)

Thank you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

deisel weasel said:
the buy stuff from abroad, get an engine builder to do the work route of modding a car is all well and good if you can do the majority of the work yourself. i.e removing the engine, stripping the engine, then bolting it all back up when the builds done but if you cant what do you end up with worst case scenario ?

so and so takes engine out, someone else builds it, someone else puts it back but the so and so that took it out has lost bolts, rounded heads off blah, blah, so the someone else that puts it back in doesn't worry about it, everything's ready to go and........................the car wont start and nothing that's being done to it is going to get it going.

who do you point the finger at then ?

the bloke who puts the engine back in will say he's only put the engine in, the engine builder will say I've only built the engine, the bloke that took the engine out will say i only took an engine out.

you've spent a load of money and the car doesn't work and you're fooked...where do you go then ?

to many cooks spoil the broth and all that ;)

its all well and good buying loads of parts yourself but you could end up in the shit anyways.

people that cant, don't want to or don't know anyone that can do the work, would be best of with one company/person doing the f@cking lot and be done with it, if you have to buy parts through them so be it.

This is why I advised her to use Olly to do the removal of the engine and fitting of any new parts, Because he's proved over the years to be honest and knows a thing or two about gtir's, Which only leaves the choice of engine builder if any, Which would be the same for any tuner that takes the engine out and then sends it off to be rebuilt.

So shut it bigears :roll: .

Rob

R

*Red*

I will be using Olly yeah for pretty much everything that ever needs doing to the car and I trust him completely. And the same goes for Dave @ Hybrid re: all the bodywork etc because his work has always been spot on :)

R

*Red*

deisel weasel said:
mine will be at daves soon 8)

Aww cool. I want to get all the internal bits done before the bodywork, so mine won't be in for a while. Which reminds me I must go and say hi to him some point soon, not seen him in ages!