At a complete loss here - guidance please!

R

*Red*

Hi all,

Not been on here for a while now, been so busy and had loads going on, so sorry about that! Anyway, at the weekend, Penny was taken off road. I've made the decision to have her rebuilt now rather than just waiting for something to break.

However, being a girl, a lot of the mechanical stuff has gone right over my head to be honest and I really and honestly could do with some solid sound advice, recommendations etc. I don't really know anything about parts to use, as in HKS or what *blush*

I want to run 350 - 380bhp, I'd be happy with that, and I still want the drive to be a pleasant one. She's currently running 1.2 and has aqua mist (fitted by Olly in Haywards Heath - think some of you know him?) a Forge FMIC, induction kit.. and I think that's it! (some of you may remember this being Jonny H's old car - I've had her since the end of May)

A friend of mine in Glasgow has had his rebuilt, so gained the following information from him. (Marc - I think he's on here?)

Ian @ Hi Teq, Wigan - possible good contact, very helpful? - Has anyone else had any experience?

Engine's been built using: a cometic 1.2mm head gasket, eagle conrods, ACL pistons, all uprated bolts, bearings etc

Gearbox was short peened and polished (and in English this means?!)

Helix Organic clutch

His suggestion was to get a t28 hybrid, and have it rebuilt and forged ……?

Without meaning to sound like a complete eejit, what's maf *blush again* and what about injectors and other stuff?!

What power can a standard gearbox and clutch take up to? I mean if the box is fine but the clutch is going to slip a lot, what about a twin plate?

I ideally need to sit down with someone/various companies and get them to detail every last bit a rebuild would need/cost for the power I want, just so I know what I'm getting and it does, and then compare them. Because I know absolutely bugger all about this kinda thing, I really don't want to be taken for a mug and I don't want corners cut. However I also don't want to be shafted with stupidly high prices either because they think I won't know any better if that makes sense…

Any useful information/guidance would be VERY helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Sarah x

O

Odin

The best thing to do is not go anywhere near any tuners ;-) , That would be a good start.

Buy the parts yourself from the states and green line in japan that way you will save loads of cash, Get the engine built by a proper engineering shop and not a tuner who will just send it to an engineering shop anyway but put his cut on as well :roll: :evil: .

I'm sure Rishi will be along with a nice long winded reply in a while ;-) .

Rob

R

*Red*

Thank you! *dances* A reply that made sense and I understood! :D

I'm more than happy to do that, just need someone/everyone to hold my hand so to speak!

Hopefully people can give recommendations on where to go...

I'm going to speak to Olly later this afternoon too.

O

Odin

Olly is a good guy and should be able to point you in the right direction and be able to drop the engine for you, That way you can send it away to be rebuilt, A lot of us are using Agra in Dundee for engine builds at the moment.

Hiteq are very good as well if not a little slow, You can buy pistons from the states for as little a £299 a set and forged rods as well, but with the power you're after I wouldn't bother with rods, Just fit ARP rod bolts.

But Olly will see you OK, Just don't buy fook all from the UK thats the best advice i can give you.

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Girl or not you've just asked a more intelligent question than half the things that get posted on here.

This isn't a proper answer but before you get into a re-build, ask yourself whether you have the patience, money and interest to do it.

Your goals are realistic but to get above 350hp reliably still costs a lot of money and still might break at anytime for some random reason.

"Tuners" are like project managers. You give them your car and they'll get someone to take the engine out and give it to someone else to rebuild. They buy a few other bits from someone else, put it back together and sometimes even get someone different to map it.

I love doing this sort of stuff so to me, paying someone else to do it takes away half the fun. If this stuff doesn't give you any pleaseure giving it to someone else might make it happen more easily but won't necessarily make it happen any faster. Many people have lost their cars for 6 months or more. This "project management" doesn't come cheap either, budget for at least £5K before you even consider anything fancy.

If all the above doesn't interest you, it might be better just to sell your car for £2K, take your £5K, and buy a car that's already been done for about £7-8K. Chances are one will come up in the next 6 months and it'll be cheaper than doing it yourself.

If it does interest and you do have the time, there is a wealth of knowledge on here and your £5K might only need to be £3K but it would still be a hassle. Depends on what you want.

R

*Red*

Thanks Odin, and Campbell.

In answer to your first question, basically, this car is my life. That probably sounds stupid but she is. My dad can't see why I'm doing any of this but he knows there's no point arguing. I wouldn't sell her for the world, I'm too emotionally attached and she holds so many memories. Jon and I always used to have this kinda dream of how she'd be one day, you know? and well, I'm at the stage when I've decided now is the time to achieve that.

I understand what you're saying about anything above 350bhp, which is why to be honest I'd be happy just sitting at that.

I would ideally like to avoid tuners by the sounds of things then, but would need someone reliable and respected in the field to do it.

£5k is pretty much what my budget, possibly more over time. I'm in no rush as I've got the parents car as a second car to get me around and I've accepted that she's gonna be out of action so it's not hit me that hard so to speak.

O

Odin

*Red* said:
Thanks Odin, and Campbell.

In answer to your first question, basically, this car is my life. That probably sounds stupid but she is. My dad can't see why I'm doing any of this but he knows there's no point arguing. I wouldn't sell her for the world, I'm too emotionally attached and she holds so many memories. Jon and I always used to have this kinda dream of how she'd be one day, you know? and well, I'm at the stage when I've decided now is the time to achieve that.

I understand what you're saying about anything above 350bhp, which is why to be honest I'd be happy just sitting at that.

I would ideally like to avoid tuners by the sounds of things then, but would need someone reliable and respected in the field to do it.

£5k is pretty much what my budget, possibly more over time. I'm in no rush as I've got the parents car as a second car to get me around and I've accepted that she's gonna be out of action so it's not hit me that hard so to speak.

Are you sure you are from Essex Red ?, Because we are not used to this sort of educated reply from your part of the world :shock: , We just have Bobby to go by and he's an idiot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

If you have any other questions feel free to post on here or PM myself jim or Rishi and we will help you all we can ;-) .

Rob

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Hi,

Hope this helps !

Ian @ Hi Teq, Wigan - possible good contact, very helpful? - Has anyone else had any experience?
Very good at what they do (personal experience).

Engine's been built using: a cometic 1.2mm head gasket, eagle conrods, ACL pistons, all uprated bolts, bearings etc
Decent enginge spec but as has been mentioned a little OTT for your needs - you may need the head gasket and ARP rod bolts - again all depends on your engine mileage etc!

Shot peening means blasting the gearbox internals with ball bearings to strengthen the metal.

Helix Organic clutch
Great clutch ; lasted so many drag racing 5000rpm + starts its unreal. Great for every day driving and not too heavy to use. :thumbsup:

Look at a roller bearing turbo (ideal at your power level would be a GT2871R or GT3071R). These spool up a lot quicker than normal turbos, and are a very good improvement over standard. Also invest in a 3 inch turbo elbow & dumppipe (eg Janspeed) as this helps cut spool up time and gives a nice dollop of low and mid-range torque :-D

Without meaning to sound like a complete eejit, what's maf *blush again* and what about injectors and other stuff?!
MAF = MAss Air Flow Meter ; measures air coming into the engine - filter bolts to it. You may need a larger one (eg off a 300zx) to run the higher power levels you want.
Injectors = Standard ones are very capable, but again for the power you want upgrade to 550cc injectors.

What power can a standard gearbox and clutch take up to? I mean if the box is fine but the clutch is going to slip a lot, what about a twin plate?

Standard gearboxes are good - as long as they've not been abused everyday they've been driven ; mine has stood up to plenty of drag racing abuse with just a lightened flywheel (helps engine rev quicker) and the Helix clutch. So if yours is ok then do the clutch and flywheel and see what happens (no point spending money for the sake of it!)

I ideally need to sit down with someone/various companies and get them to detail every last bit a rebuild would need/cost for the power I want, just so I know what I'm getting and it does, and then compare them. Because I know absolutely bugger all about this kinda thing, I really don't want to be taken for a mug and I don't want corners cut. However I also don't want to be shafted with stupidly high prices either because they think I won't know any better if that makes sense…

As others have mentioned, buying bits directly from tuners in the UK is a no-no, scour the internet, ebay & the GTIROC & Modifiers for bits. As for the engine and gearbox, find a local company who have been rebuilding engines & boxes since you were in nappies, as the tuners will mroe than likely send your engine + box to one then add their own markup on it. Someone on here can no doubt recommend one for you!

However, some of it does depend how much you have to spend and how much access to garage facilities you have at home/nearby.

(And to every1 else who's reading - these are only my opinions to the questions mentioned, not concrete answers ;-))

Cheers,

donpulsar :-D

R

*Red*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes I definitely am, I'm just not blonde - that's what it is! :p

Tbh I thought I sounded a complete idiot posting here in the first place! *blush*

LOADS of questions so you're going to regret saying that!

Is there a list anywhere or could someone jot one down of what goes into an engine rebuild? Or more, what gets replaced? List a shopping list, I know there's loads of different makes out there, but parts would be a good place for me to start!

R

*Red*

donpulsar said:
Hi,

Hope this helps !

Very good at what they do (personal experience).

Decent enginge spec but as has been mentioned a little OTT for your needs - you may need the head gasket and ARP rod bolts - again all depends on your engine mileage etc!

Shot peening means blasting the gearbox internals with ball bearings to strengthen the metal.

Helix Organic clutch
Great clutch ; lasted so many drag racing 5000rpm + starts its unreal. Great for every day driving and not too heavy to use. :thumbsup:

Look at a roller bearing turbo (ideal at your power level would be a GT2871R or GT3071R). These spool up a lot quicker than normal turbos, and are a very good improvement over standard. Also invest in a 3 inch turbo elbow & dumppipe (eg Janspeed) as this helps cut spool up time and gives a nice dollop of low and mid-range torque :-D

MAF = MAss Air Flow Meter ; measures air coming into the engine - filter bolts to it. You may need a larger one (eg off a 300zx) to run the higher power levels you want.
Injectors = Standard ones are very capable, but again for the power you want upgrade to 550cc injectors.

Standard gearboxes are good - as long as they've not been abused everyday they've been driven ; mine has stood up to plenty of drag racing abuse with just a lightened flywheel (helps engine rev quicker) and the Helix clutch. So if yours is ok then do the clutch and flywheel and see what happens (no point spending money for the sake of it!)

As others have mentioned, buying bits directly from tuners in the UK is a no-no, scour the internet, ebay & the GTIROC & Modifiers for bits. As for the engine and gearbox, find a local company who have been rebuilding engines & boxes since you were in nappies, as the tuners will mroe than likely send your engine + box to one then add their own markup on it. Someone on here can no doubt recommend one for you!

However, some of it does depend how much you have to spend and how much access to garage facilities you have at home/nearby.

(And to every1 else who's reading - these are only my opinions to the questions mentioned, not concrete answers ;-))

Cheers,

donpulsar :-D
AND OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I UNDERSTOOD ALL OF THAT!!!!! *dances*

Thank yoooooooooooooooo!

Right, I am actually off to ring Olly now.. and I can sound half intelligent(ish)

Sarah x

*carries on dancing*

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
*Red* said:
Welcome to our world :grouphug:

Rob (Odin) proved how capable standard components are when properly setup. IMO you don't really need mouch more than some forged pistons. I'd put the money saved into gaskets/sensors/pumps etc as 10 year old versions of these are more likely to fail than a new Nissan head gasket or rod bolts at 350hp.

Don has hit pretty much every nail on the head in terms of spec. A 2871 would be a nice choice for that sort of power.

Jim

marc

Haha at least my advice wasnt a total loss !

She did just ask my spec tho, I didnt advise her to go for same spec :D

And for 5k you will do alright! I cant wait till I get mine set up, unfortunatley I still need a bigger turbo injectors and maf

O

Odin

campbellju said:
Don has hit pretty much every nail on the head in terms of spec. A 2871 would be a nice choice for that sort of power.
If your power goals are defiantly only going to be around the 350bhp mark then this turbo would be a very easy option for you, Because it will bolt right up with no fitting mods being needed.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-004&Category_Code=GRT

As Jim said with these goals in mind you would only need a very basic rebuild if at all, But if you want it rebuilt then you'd only need a set of CP Pistons and a metal head gasket to go with your other basic bearings and gaskets.

Mine is being rebuilt at the moment by Agra to a much much higher spec but I have the matching higher cost to go with it, I recon you could do the whole rebuild for around 2k keeping to that basic spec.

Plus the new turbo at $950 :shock: cheap ah.

All new Nissan sensors will set you back about £200 but I think they are worth it, You might also want to replace all the Rubber hoses at the back of the engine, With the Samco group buy set I sorted out for the OC.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
R

*Red*

marc said:
Haha at least my advice wasnt a total loss !

She did just ask my spec tho, I didnt advise her to go for same spec :D

And for 5k you will do alright! I cant wait till I get mine set up, unfortunatley I still need a bigger turbo injectors and maf
Thank you hun :) and thanks guys, you've all be really really helpful and I actually understand a lot more now....

Not that anyone's probably overly interested… but I thought I'd share this with you anyway! I have just got off the phone to Olly and the guy is a complete legend!

Basically told him what I want to do and why I thought I should be doing it. And the end of the story is, I am nowhere near needing to do any of it yet! Apparently I've got a decent car, that in his opinion has a lot more fun to be had before she needs to go in for cosmetic surgery.

Apparently she has an uprated clutch, an AP racing one from his memory, which I wasn't aware of *blush*

Next month it looks like she'll be going in to have the air con taken off/out. A boost controller will be fitted (at the moment it's a trusty bleed valve) and then I'll be taking her to get mapped. He mentioned a good place but I canne remember the name of it! :roll: The fuelling lines and aqua mist system need to be checked over. Atm she stinks of petrol so there's something up and that could be due to the management not being set up to handle 1.2

Then she'll have a couple of general bits done: oil change and fog light wired up (oops) and double check de-cat (as in yay or nay, because I don't know!)

I was going to have the front seats and door cards re-trimmed and the back ones removed.. but if I'm removing the back seats, I'm now thinking of a set of Recaro SR's from the Integra type R? as I didn't realise that they actually sit higher than the standard seats (I'm only little and I always thought after market seats sat lower which is why I've never considered it!)

Olly's going to speak to someone in Japan regarding a set of front & back Cusco strut braces, and then there's a couple of bits of spray work that I need done by Dave.

So after all that, I think perhaps I'll save the pennies for a while.. at least until something starts to give. It's just that Olly knows the car and is really firmly of the opinion that she truly doesn't need any of the big stuff right now.

Does that sound about right to you guys?

OOoooOoO I'm all excited now, perhaps she will make May 19th after all! :D

Sarah xx

O

Odin

*Red* said:
Does that sound about right to you guys?

Yes it does, From my own experience the standard engine is more than capable or coping with 350bhp all day long as long as its all set up properly by someone that knows what he is doing ;-) .

I'd trust Olly's advice he's been around a long while and has a good reputation with Gti-R's 8) ;-) .

Rob

R

*Red*

Odin said:
If your power goals are defiantly only going to be around the 350bhp mark then this turbo would be a very easy option for you, Because it will bolt right up with no fitting mods being needed.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-004&Category_Code=GRT

As Jim said with these goals in mind you would only need a very basic rebuild if at all, But if you want it rebuilt then you'd only need a set of CP Pistons and a metal head gasket to go with your other basic bearings and gaskets.

Mine is being rebuilt at the moment by Agra to a much much higher spec but I have the matching higher cost to go with it, I recon you could do the whole rebuild for around 2k keeping to that basic spec.

Plus the new turbo at $950 :shock: cheap ah.

All new Nissan sensors will set you back about £200 but I think they are worth it, You might also want to replace all the Rubber hoses at the back of the engine, With the Samco group buy set I sorted out for the OC.

Rob
Hmm... perhaps I may just go for a basic then.. sounds stupid, but I'd kinda got excited at the prospect of rebuilding! :lol: and am not dissapointed, but kinda like "oh" now and that thought of not having to do it after all! (that and the fact I think she deserves to be treated! :p )