6 Pot Brake Poss Group Buy!

P

pulsarboby

well at the end of the day it all comes down to pricing!

theres already been a group buy setup buy lionel on here with 4 pot godspeed but with not much success due to the prices that ap, brembro, godspeed etc are commanding.

the way i look at it is like this:

quality.....is the overall kit good quality with a good finish and good performance

pricing.....MUST be competetive, as not everyones got thousands to chuck at a set of stoppers, first thing people look at is the price and quality of the kit!

backup service....ie customer service! no point if thats not there, will only lead to frustration and a large headache (as i have found)

availability......is the product readily available with spares etc! in other words will the company be around years down the line to obtain necessary parts

if the product can tick all the above boxes then there wont be a problem, and they will sell.

a brake caliper is just a hydraulic vice, it will work! a cheaper one will work as well as a very expensive item.
now the crunch comes down mainly to disc quality and pad quality and providing they are both good then a cheap kit will perform as well as a kit which is double or in some cases treble the price.

and thats why ive not pursued the branded leading makes, if people have the money to buy those then there not gonna be interested in saving a few quid in a group buy are they! they will go and source the kit for themselves when they want it.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
str_motorsport said:
Why not a group buy with hi-spec or goodspeed brakes?
i have the 335mm kit with AP 6 pots from godspeed on mine and works like a dream...and they are tried and tested, so no need to fit,try,argue...just my 2 cents...

You'd be waiting a year if you're lucky for Godspeed to finish a set of brakes for you..

HiSpec i think are very good.. I have a set myself.. But the prices are a lot higher than whats being looked at here...

GTIR-LOZ

i would ideally like an option of a bigger size i.e 325 or 330 discs, it would also be nice to be able to get a variety of branded brake pads, i.e mintex, ferodo etc would these be possible as well?

Rishi

Odin said:
I don't think you need any more than the 304mm discs, My AP's are 304mmx28mm and I don't suffer any fade at all.

I think a lot of you're forgetting just how small a car the Pulsar is, I just don't understand the need for massive disc's and calipers on something that only weighs in at 1240 kg's.

Rob
I think more for the people who use the car on a track with cut slicks would benefit from the larger setup.. More grip will allow for greater stopping power without locking up the wheels..

GTIR-LOZ

its just i run 310mm discs now and they dont really cut the mustard, and bigger discs with 6 pots might allow the discs to cool more with the larger pads

P

pulsarboby

ok guys just got off the phone after rabbiting for an hour to the supplier.

hes still interested in dealing with me (even though last time i bailed out).

he will come back to me either later today or tomorrow with prices.

there will basically be 2 styles of kits

1) 304mm kit, solid discs with minilite sixpot caliper (same outer diameter as big six pots, but with smaller pistons)
2) 330mm kit, seperate disc & bell, big piston calipers

the kits come complete with everything including choice of pads (will have to find out regarding other brands), braided lines, all the components needed to fit.

the price is dependant on how many people want the kit
ive asked him to give me prices on group buy based on 5 people and then one on 10 people

so if you are genuinely interested then put your name down on a list stating which kit your after.
if the prices they come back with are competetive then perhaps we can get a group buy under way.
but if theres not enough interest then i shant pursue it any further as im only wasting theres and my own time

PaulB

Top Stuff Bob, I'd like to be your tester, but im not back in the country till middle of April, so if its then or just after, giv me a shout.

Im interested in these, currently running the Wilwoods, but the poor quality discs and lack of good pad choices has me thinking about alternatives.

Lets see about Pad choices, and overall pricing on this kit :)

Rishi

PaulB said:
Top Stuff Bob, I'd like to be your tester, but im not back in the country till middle of April, so if its then or just after, giv me a shout.

Im interested in these, currently running the Wilwoods, but the poor quality discs and lack of good pad choices has me thinking about alternatives.

Lets see about Pad choices, and overall pricing on this kit :)

It would probably be best if Bob was to test the kit would it not?

PaulB

RishiGTiR said:
It would probably be best if Bob was to test the kit would it not?
Blimey, Rishi, where have you been for the last 3months !!

Bobs got a set of Apex 8 pots on, and had a hell of a job with them too, i wouldnt imagine he has the time or effort to do it again, I think hes said that himself !

John

PaulB said:
Blimey, Rishi, where have you been for the last 3months !!

Bobs got a set of Apex 8 pots on, and had a hell of a job with them too, i wouldnt imagine he has the time or effort to do it again, I think hes said that himself !
True, but he always has the odd fully running Pulsar lying around so he could fit them to that rather than his own car?

PaulB

pulsarboby said:
i will be acting as an agent for them, so any probs etc will all come via my good self. once again there will be a test kit available at a reduced price (and that means reduced price) unlike some other brand of products lol.
Im guessing that means he aint testing it himself

P

pulsarboby

tbh i could test these myself on one of the other cars il have running at the time.
but in all fairness to everyone concerned, i will be getting a test kit at cost price, now that will mean cost price!

look at it this way, if someone wants to benefit from that then they are welcome to! ive already got brakes now so im not interested in saving and penny pinching by also being a tester on this kit too.

i would estimate the test kit to be around £150-200 cheaper than the group buy kit, so i think that i should pass that benefit onto another member rather than hog all the benefits myself!
but if people want me to test the kit then thats what i will do.

also by someone else testing the kit you will get a completely unbiased view on the brakes, as il be an agent then im obviously going to be slightly biased toward the product.

but right now i need names alongside which kit you will be interested in
without these names theres no group buy going to happen!

so start a list please gents!

P

pulsarboby

ok il start list off as i need names down. please list what kit your interested in also

1) tester..........paulb
2) res tester....pulsar craig

GTIR-LOZ

if you need a tester for the 330 kit, i will do it bob, it would be nice to see if they fit behind my superleggeras - price depending obviously;-)

John

Put me down for the 330mm 6 pots Bob, thats if they fit behind 17's unlike K-sports joke brakes

PaulB

smashin, cheers bob. The 330mm 6 pots with sep. bells n rotors would be the ones. BTW, Im running 17" superleggeras so they should be a good fit behind those.

I Will have some low mileage, 1 owner wilwoods for sale soon then :) lol

P

pulsarboby

1) tester..........paulb..............330 big 6 pots
2) res tester....pulsar craig.... 330 big 6 pots
3) john............................. ....330 big 6 pots
4) colin_gtir...........................330 big 6 pots if they fit behind 17 inch rota grids with an et 45 offset ?

any more people? i need 5 minimum plus the tester kit so will need 6 names!

Last edited by a moderator: