What have you done to your car today?

Jon Olds

Its been 6 years since I built this, so can't remember what's what. (And I've built a shed load more race cars since, and my memory isn't great) Best I take some pics when its next in bits
Jon

vpulsar

Well today it's been a lovely day in Aberdeenshire hitting 15 degrees practically what passes for summer in these parts lol, So I got roped into to fitting a chavy set of nasty coil over thingy's that fit under the springs on my birds 18 years old sons Lupo, The old owner had taken them out and it was scrapping the floor so they needed re-fitting a bit sharpish. And there is nothing worse than watching someone standing next to their car with it's wheels off totally with out a clue what to do next lol, So I took mercy on the poor fool and showed him how to do it, Actually it was a good job because the previous owner had fitted one of the springs upside down (twat).

I just need my own car finished now so I can enjoy polishing it in the sunshine.

Rob

Slunch

Gotta love it Rob- getting your r built and your still diy'ing cars :) Now are you suggesting that coil overs are in some way chavy?! lol

vpulsar

Now are you suggesting that coil overs are in some way chavy?! lol

No not really mate, Though I do have well know dislike for them in general but they have there uses on the right car (race car). But the ones I fitted tonight are pretend coilovers lol, It's just a threaded tube that bolts to the bottom of the spring perch and is only about 6 inches long with one adjustable ring, There is no way of locking it off so just some cheap nasty chavy shite out the back of maxpower magazine.

Here you go these blue things in this fleabay link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Lupo-A...rParts_SM&fits=Model:Lupo&hash=item27ded11ba7

Rob

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Today
I put a new cv joint on,
put a new lower ball joint dust cover on. (However, they're shite and won't stay on the bottom, so just hope mr mot man doesn't spot it tomorrow),
cleaned up most of the brake pipes,
removed the rear offside seatbelt as the red button has fallen to bits and even though I have no rear seats he still check them. (ballache as well, as the bolt was pretty rusted in place)
Tomorrow I think I'll be mostly failing the mot. lol.

Edit - Bloody hell, she passed.:shock:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Gearbox repaired again...long story, but got stuck in reverse!

All fixed and spent around 2-3 hours fine tuning my map and sorting out little issues!

Looking good so far for the IOM weekend!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Looking good so far for the IOM weekend!
On that subject...

Wheels on and off several times... copper slip applied to brake sliders and the edge of pads; feels like the "servo assistance" is back to me since the pedal falls when I turn the engine on.

Fire gum liberally applied to small exhaust leaks.

(re)installed HKS DMR on the windscreen; now that it's not cracked I can use it more. - I'll probably put the rear view camera back in for the IOM.

Back on the ground and into the driveway so that I can take it for an MOT tomorrow.... and scraped my brand-new under-body brace on the lawn edging as I tried to get the car back out of the garden. :shock:

Hopefully it will pass, and I'll get it taxed in time. - Ferry and accommodation is booked, so there's not really any backing out. It's either this car or the Amica (in which case I'll be asking to ride in a decent car).

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm beginning to think I should take this under-body brace off when the car is on the road (as opposed to the track). - It's scraping on pavers that are only 20mm or so above the rest of the driveway.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine used to catch coke cans that were lying on their side. I haven't put my new one on yet, but my old one is sat in the dining room looking quite bent.
It did have the advantage that they couldn't get the jack to slide under it on the MOT so they left it on the wheels to check everything. :p

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Carl - sold! It's staying on until after the MOT then; at the very least it shows that I have replaced all those components. I'm even leaving the DMR in so see if they remember not to put it on a 2-wheel brake test.

EDIT: It would help if I'd got the right day though. - I just turned-up to drop the car off and found they've got Thursday down when I had Tuesday (it's even written on a post-it on my desk from when I called them)... so now I've got to drive a SORN vehicle back home.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just to revisit this page again, I've been messing about with more LED products.

This time I bought 2x 1mtr LED strip lights and glued them to the roof of the Nissan to improve the god awful original single bulb that I had.

I found the single bulb system to be tired and pathetic for lighting the inside of the car, so I wired in the two strips (cut to 800mm) one at the front of the car and one at the rear, into the overhead light switch.

Connected the battery and now its daytime in the car at night.

Such a massive improvement from before and now I can find coins or keys that have fallen out of my pocket when I've been out for a drive.

Pic's as always, don't do it any justice, but such a huge improvement....also these were NOT from eBay, I used an actual LED supplier/electrical distributor (£20 inc postage)

I'll try and get some better pic's later when the car isn't full of rubbish and parts!

Dangerous Dave

Can I say what I've done today????

i have mostly blown the R up today :) I think I've done exceptionally well with it as I even managed to blow the rocker cover seals out.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Striped and replaced the standard manifold, when back together nicely then on tick over she thought it best to show me I'd not tightened the feed pipe up enough.....oops! Gave up for the day now...!!

Nick K

Refitted all the pipes for the wash wipe as awol. Sorted out vacuum pipework. Fitted OE intercooler and pipework back to car, Fitted HKS dump valve i found in the boot, Fitted rest of exhaust, Started her up and ran her around the block. Leaking power steering fluid and oil from somewhere! Oh well at least its running....

IMAG1213.jpg

Missing various brackets from intercooler etc, Need to compile a list of bits i still need and post it up in the wanted.