Turbo manifold ideas

RO_SUNNY

I agree with Trip, you clearly need to wind your neck in when talking about things you have no idea about:

Mass produced exhausts are manufcatured for cost - castability being a high factor, longevity (thermal fatigue plays a big part) and packaging.

FEM (Finite element method) is used for solid material analysis not flow, that would be CFD (Computational fluid dynamics) - yes there is a finite element solver algorithm for CFD but this is different to FEM and the finite volume method is much better due to stronger conservation of the underlying equations).

CFD software is not really needed to design very good exhaust manifold most of the design work can be achieved using 1-D calculations, with final tweeks performed with CFD. Some interesting work on cold start up and FSI (fluid-structual interactions) is now being done, but this is again mainly to avoid thermal fatigue issue by ensuring the manifold heats evenly.

You also assume that the same people designing the S-class design the Vito diesel, I would be very much supprised if this is the case.

Ok sorry for not being born in wealthy country......I am not an english native and that means that maybe I don't know how to speak the english that you speak and understand......maybe you do not understand what I am trying to say.

I've posted here because I had an idea and also came up with solutions from other that allready have done but you guys seem to be smarter than me.

This was just an ides........there is no need to get so excited over a small thing like this.

Country of origin has nothing to do with it, some of the best engineers and most interesting research I've come across have come from "poorer" countries including india, china, eastern europe and south america.

I apolgise if my post was a bit snotty but you were the one that started with block capitals, not taking on other peoples opinions.

skiddusmarkus

I wouldn't agree that the OE parts are designed more efficiently as they are made to a cost.Otherwise we would all have forged engines and just look at the joke they call a turbo elbow.

red reading

Now let's have a arguement over why stainless steel is not a good material to make manifolds out of,and what is better?

skiddusmarkus

No, the ebay stainless manifolds are fine as they are very high quality welds and much cheapness.The 200sx ones also fit without modifcation and add 20bhp even using the same pipe pathing/bore size as standard.Stainless is just that good.

Just in case you found this in a search, activate your irony detector.

RO_SUNNY

My opinion is that, you'd better make them out of mild steel.......simply because it wont have the cracking problem.

For example stainless steel are approx of 4 types:
1. Feritic; 2. Martensitic; 3. Austenitic; 4. Duplex.
The commonly used stailess steel is the austenitic type.

The reasons why manifold have developed cracking is simple:
-welding material (electrodes) are much more nobile the the base material and the structure in the heat affected zone is completly different then the weld or material.
-improper welding sequence
-incorrect/none weld tension release.

So...........In my opinion either you search for Martensitic stainless and the coreect welding consumables or you go for mild steel.