Track pulsar advice.

P

philevo6

Hi people:-D

I currently own an evo 6 and did own a mint pulsar before the evo. (ill try to get some pics up!)

Thing is,im currently doing trackdays in my evo and im thinking about selling it and buying another pulsar and making it into a track car.Situation is....ive got a mint evo which seems too good for trackdays really,and all's i do is potter round in it,i want to do loads more trackdays,but the expense of running the thing, (and saving to get married etc:der: ) is huge.Ive built a gti-r before and helped my old man build tons of rally cars,so i know what im doing.

So i was thinking of getting a gti-r and a van,spares etc for trackdays.I work in a bodyshop,so could strip it,weld in cage etc and respray it for next to nowt.And bin the interior,standard suspension/brakes etc.I want it as quick as my evo or close as.330 bhp/321 torque.

Price wise...i reckon
Decent pulsar...£3.5k
Suspension/brakes £3k
Engine mods/intercooler £4k
Wheels/tyres etc £1k
Seats/belts £1k

Only thing is,that would be a 12k pulsar:shock: :der:

Please, is this unrealistic,and pro's/cons....thanks.:-D

MarkTurbo

philevo6 said:
Only thing is,that would be a 12k pulsar:shock: :der:
You could buy a decent Pulsar for about £4000, spend £2000-3000 and have a very good track car ;-) If it was me i'd save the money and use the Evo, you'd have to spend a fair bit on a pulsar to make it handle anywhere near as good :lol:

P

philevo6

Cheers mark...an unbiased view,thanks.

Maybe im in the wrong place for unbiased views:lol: :lol:

My nissan was great,started out as first pic...(they were the actual wheels on it when i bought it:lol: :lol: !!!)

Was fantastic when finished tho...everything was brand new.

You are right about the handling tho,my evo would destroy my former pulsar round the bends.Yet im strangely drawn back to the ugly little thing!!:lol:

C

Coops

Hi Guys newbie here,

I have an Evo 6 at moment and have been thinking the exact same over the last few weeks. The cars absolutely mint and even though it's an RS model and built for the tack I worry about bining it too much:oops:

Interested to here what people's thoughts are, and how reliable are pulsars running approx 300/350bhp??

Sorry for the thread hijack Phil:oops:

O

Odin

A 300-350 bhp pulsar should go on for ever if you look after it properly, And with the right handling mods it should be more than a match for most cars....

If it where me I make sure I had a quaife box RPS clutch and the full whiteline package, Plus the bumpsteer kit and you'd have a pretty much sorted car.

I know of an M reg black pulsar thats up for sale at 2.5k which is in ok nick, Just needing a bit of light body work, The only trouble is it is up here in sunny scotland lol...

Rob

P

pulsarboby

i have just built one to race next year.
paid £2500 for car (can get cheaper now) rebuilt engine with forge components uprated cams the lot! coilovers, brakes rollcage, suspension done the whole lot for under 7k and i havent skimped on anything.
just look out for s/h stuff theres enough of it floating about now, i could probably build another cheaper if i did it again as i wouldnt pay £2500 for a car, be better to pick up a crapper for £1000 and rebuild that to whatever spec you need!

P

pulsarboby

Thunder God said:
If it where me I make sure I had a quaife box RPS clutch and the full whiteline package, Plus the bumpsteer kit and you'd have a pretty much sorted car.

Rob
i lie!! still got a crap gearbox (cheers rob for reminding me)

MarkTurbo

Coops said:
I have an Evo 6 at moment and have been thinking the exact same over the last few weeks. The cars absolutely mint and even though it's an RS model and built for the tack I worry about bining it too much:oops:

Interested to here what people's thoughts are, and how reliable are pulsars running approx 300/350bhp??
As long as you look after it 300/350 bhp isnt a problem, the engines are pretty tough. My engine has done 130,000 miles without ever having a rebuild and its probably around 320/330 bhp ;-)

I'd give my right arm for an Evo 6 rs to use as a track car 8)

C

Coops

Thunder God said:
A 300-350 bhp pulsar should go on for ever if you look after it properly, And with the right handling mods it should be more than a match for most cars....

I know of an M reg black pulsar thats up for sale at 2.5k which is in ok nick, Just needing a bit of light body work, The only trouble is it is up here in sunny scotland lol...

Rob
Not a problem for me Rob, fellow scottishcarclub member;-)

P

philevo6

A problem that sticks in my mind with the pulsar is that,its going back to an old car again,which increases chances of problems.

My evo has only done 40k and to go to a say....k reg pulsar with 80/90k:noidea:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
philevo6 said:

Price wise...i reckon
Decent pulsar...£3.5k
Suspension/brakes £3k
Engine mods/intercooler £4k
Wheels/tyres etc £1k
Seats/belts £1k
Get one that's already had that done to it, cars with that level of modding occasionally come up on here for less than 8K.

Regarding handling, as standard they are alright but most people who lower them and stick 17's can make things better rather than worse, a lot is in the setup and tyres.

Remember, tracking a Pulsar will probably be as expensive in fuel/tyres maintenance as your Evo, trackdays are just not cheap.

GINGA

philevo6 said:
.I want it as quick as my evo or close as.330 bhp/321 torque.
You won't need the same power as the evo to make it as fast, a R running just the normally 1 bar should be able to stay with a e6 running 330hp without much trouble, its the handling and stopping that will be the problem, though if you want it to be as fast as the evo round a track, just keep the evo or sell your one and get a tattier one for track use.
If you take the speed difference out of the equation, I think you'll be more than happy with a lightly modded R on the track and will have just as much fun, if not more fun than in the evo, if your that worried about crashing it.
If you want fun on the cheap buy the R, if you want all out speed stick with the evo.

GINGA

MarkTurbo said:
Paul admit it, deep down you want another Pulsar too dont you ;-)
Indeed, the thought does cross my mind as I still recon their great little cars, I've even thought about what cars to buy and the mods to make them bloody quick, concentrating on handling more than power though as I've come to realise chasing power is a mugs game that just leads to unreliability.
The reason I wouldn't buy one is not the car, its the club scene, as there just isn't one!!! the national track day is proof of that :roll: In the old days there used to be quite a strong club scene with quite a few things happening, now theres nothing which is pretty sad really. Everybody has become obsessed with chasing power and now their all broken or simply not reliable enough to be able to commit to anything or the owners are just to worried about breaking them to actually drive them.

P

pulsarboby

yeah make you right there, people seem afraid to use them for what they were designed to be used for, whats the point in having one with 300+bhp if your not gonna drive it to get the most out of it!

P

philevo6

Very true,ive done a few trackdays and watched loads...oulton park,donnington etc.....and never once seen a pulsar!!!! shame.:cry: