Big Power Rebuild

Keira

you must have some results if he's flowed the standard manifold and says it will flow 800bhp :?

i dont know of anyone thats actually tested the standard inlet on a flow bench to see how much air it will actually flow so would be very interesting to see the results.

its just all the guys i have spoke to about it, especially from the states all go single tb on the gtir engine when after big power, if the quads were good enough, no one would bother :?

i'll e-mail one of the guys that makes custom inlets in the us and see what he has to say, pretty sure he's just had one of his custom gtir inlets on a bench,

S

stokie1

my engine is down in kent having it's turbo and manifold
bolted on, H from ashford rang me yesterday wanting to know
cam lap and phazing etc as the engine spec book has not turned up
with the engine. He just said ahmed had just finished playing about
with an inlet manifold and would be using the 4tb setup on my engine,
H said he would mod the manifold for me and then swop it for the 80mm
one he has already done for me.

I thought i needed a single tb for that kind of power, thats why i had one
knocked up, but if i can stay on the quads then bonus

Will ask for info on the manifold but will not hold my breath for answer

A

Allan GTI-R

deisel weasel said:
Every big power (over 550bhp) gtir engined car i can think of whether from japan, oz, jamaica, wherever, is on a single tb.
Most workshops here switch over to singles because they're too shit to tune aftermarket ecu's properly with the quads.

Anyway, are any of you guys using cylinder liners / o-rings in your rebuilds ??

A

Allan GTI-R

ah yeah Habib's - i read about that.

Only asking because i bought a freshly built bottom end which has JUN liners already in it - brand new.

the local JUN distributor here advises against using them unless JUN themselves have fitted them :shock:

I'm kinda worried because i want to lean on this engine in a big way - if the liners start moving around inside the block then that could be trouble :shock:

S

stokie1

asked tomei about lining my block,

they said they dont line blocks as theres a good

chance of causing heat spots during the process

and doing more harm then good

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I didn't line mine... No need...

It does work if done properly... :wink:

Rishi

ashills

hope nobody wants liners from norris designs was looking at there site and they are 39K what a bargain lol
i really hope thats a mistake

Rishi

ashills said:
hope nobody wants liners from norris designs was looking at there site and they are 39K what a bargain lol
i really hope thats a mistake

WOAH!... :lol:

Liners should only be £35 each plus about £200 to have them fitted... :wink:

Rishi

sypher

got a day off so was reading the board, has anyone ever pushed the OE intake until it becomes restrictive. I am genuinly interested in this as i am rebuilding to nearly stock going to run in / bed in rings (see other post) and then do additional work for summer time

My options as far as i can see are; bore the OE manafold and throttles or make a new manafold with large plenum and a single TB, and then this will lead on to what size intake pipes to use to give a good compromise between volume of air and pressure drop.

Stu.

Keira

a snippet of info from the guy in the states that made the inlet i showed earlier in this thread.

I think the GTiR intake manifold is awsome for moderate power levels and keeping the rpms below 7500-8000. the restriction point is at the base of the intake just after the throttle plates where the intake air will make a sudden movement up then back down into the cylinder head. at higher power levels and rpms this will cause a big restriction.

make of that what you will :wink:

creedy

Will the 200sx sr20det inlet manifold fit the GTiR head?

as you can get a Greddy inlet manifold

so maybe you can fit this instead?

O

Odin

For starters if you bolted that to your engine the inlet would be on the wrong side of the engine :roll: , So I guess the answer would be a no lol :wink: .

rob

sypher

I think that inlet is meant for an inline application so TB would face O/S chassis leg, not to mention that it only has 5 bolt fixings and no injector ports as the 200SX SR20 uses side feed. Now i haven't seen a 200sx myself but do take into consideration the long/upswept intake ports on the 54C head

Stu.

creedy

vpulsar said:
For starters if you bolted that to your engine the inlet would be on the wrong side of the engine :roll: , So I guess the answer would be a no lol :wink: .

rob
Yes i did think of that. thats why you cut of the flange and turn it around and reweld it so its on the rite side. also you would have to make up something for the injectors to sit in.

Keira

sypher said:
got a day off so was reading the board, has anyone ever pushed the OE intake until it becomes restrictive. I am genuinly interested in this as i am rebuilding to nearly stock going to run in / bed in rings (see other post) and then do additional work for summer time
whilst hunting around for something completely un-related to this question i found a link to a forum, the guy that built the malaysian 10 second car posted a response about throttle bodies.

he states

Oh and the GTiR's throttle bodies are flow capable of over
680Hp.
Malaysa, Dec 1997, Drag car.
10.62 @ 144Mph99

:shock:

i'd believe him over everything else i've ever been told, so looks like i've been barking up the wrong tree :oops: :lol: :lol:

never mind :wink:

Rishi

deisel weasel said:
sypher said:
whilst hunting around for something completely un-related to this question i found a link to a forum, the guy that built the malaysian 10 second car posted a response about throttle bodies.

he states

Oh and the GTiR's throttle bodies are flow capable of over
680Hp.
Malaysa, Dec 1997, Drag car.
10.62 @ 144Mph99

shock:

i'd believe him over everything else i've ever been told, so looks like i've been barking up the wrong tree :oops: :lol: :lol:

never mind :wink:

Well i wasn't going to listen to you anyway... :lol: :wink:

To be honest i just didn't want to use single TB.... I prefer the quads... At least now i know that they are up for the job... :D :D :D

Rishi

A

Allan GTI-R

hey, need some help in getting the head sorted - i have this list (so far) of what i am going to buy

JUN Cam gear intake
JUN Cam gear exhaust
JUN Heavy Duty Valve Springs Type 2
JUN Valve Retainers Type 2
JUN Strengthened Valve Guides
JUN Strengthened Head Bolts

(cams can come later)

is there anything else missing ?

anyone replace valves with aftermarket items before ?