Tinkle tinkle stall...Doh

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
This is a follow up to my dumped a load of oil post :doh:

After just overtaking a new shape XKR and 2 other cars down a twisy back road in one of those overtaking moves that can only safely be done in an R :thumbsup: a couple of corners later there was a tinkle tinkle noise as if something had just caught on the prop shaft snagged and released. I didn't think it sounded cool so backed right off and decided I'd just get home. At the next junction about 2 miles later as I pull out the car stalls when I change gear, I restarted it and the next time I changed gear it stalls again, fortunately there was a layby 30m away so I free wheeled off the road. Checked around the car and there was nothing snagging or ripped off. I then realised that the hesitation was not external but a shell bearing being spat out and the stalling at low revs is because my crank had expanded and jammed. Given my bad luck with the oil filter falling off this is not unsurprising.

So basically I need to re-build the bottom end.

I should be really p***ed off but nowadays this car has no more pain to give. The timing is pretty poor as my wife is expecting a little girl in 6 weeks time so I toyed with breaking it but that could be as much hassle as just fixing it. I also toyed with the idea of a more practical car like an EVO/Subaru (family on way 4 doors etc) but have decided against it for all the same reasons I've not changed to them before.

Personally I hate dropping the R engine, I've done it twice before with a mechanic mate who's since left the area but I lose interest with the R on anything I can't fit with my own hands. With the baby around the corner I don't really have the enthusiasm to get stuck in to sorting this all on my own.

So I'm hoping some kind members in the NW can give me a hand/morale support over the next months to sort it out. You see I would rather do the mapping/handling on someone else's car than dropping and breaking my engine, it just doesn't excite me. There are a couple of members who have been superheroes in helping me in the past but I think this is too much of an imposition.

Just some ideas, rather than spending money on garage time, I could spend it on buying some better equipment for handling and mapping so I can do other people's cars more quickly/professionaly. If there's a few people who could help, I could throw on beers and a barbacue etc. to make it more of an event rather than a chore.

Thought I'd post up whilst I'm weighing up the options.

Last edited:

DanDud

Well im working long hours atm Jim, but if you supply brews id be happy to give you a hand, iv had my engine out once and it fired up first time when i put it back in. Am off on holiday this weekend for 2 weeks but am back after that.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Dan, I'm in no rush and TBH I'll be happy to leave it alone for a few weeks :lol:

I probably already owe you and Stu a few favours but I can put in on my tab in case you need to call them in one day ;-)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Cheers Stu, to say I owe you one would be an understatment.

I'll pop round this week and drop those bits off you lent me.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did you try and start the car again? If it had seized I wouldn't have expected it to have started the 2nd time.

Unless you're sure it's that, it maybe worth taking the rocker cover off and making sure the timing chain hasn't jumped a tooth (tensioner buggered??) or anything daft like a snapped camshaft.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Did you try and start the car again? If it had seized I wouldn't have expected it to have started the 2nd time.
It did but only for another 10s or so. It wouldn't turn after that. The noise did sound like it was from down below though so I'd be surprised if it wasn't. My top end could be damged too but at least my piston compression was alright before this recent disaster. It might be worth a check like you say before going too far.

Mr GTiR

Give me a shout when you want to take it out. It can be out in a few hours and i'll even bring my own engine crane if you have the room at home.

O

Odin

Mr GTiR said:
Give me a shout when you want to take it out. It can be out in a few hours and I'll even bring my own engine crane if you have the room at home.

You know Andy I knew you had to have a use :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

The Engine dropping Myster :thumbsup: .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

if all the others fail to turn up jim, id happily pop across country and help you out, or do it for you for a couple of snags on the barbie mate.
will be out n back in a weekend, assuming you have the parts required to fix it!
id get another crank if i were you, as that one will be fcuked, (dont think i have one as i sold my last good one to ronnie1) will also pay to stick a new set of mains in aswell!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
Give me a shout when you want to take it out. It can be out in a few hours and i'll even bring my own engine crane if you have the room at home.
Cheers, Andy. :thumbsup:

A crane would be 8) I was going to clear my garage out again as since the R has been on the road, my wife and friends have been using the storage. Is the crane a floor or roof mount? I can put an extra large beam in the rafters if needs.

I've offered in the past to help on your handling and if you want I could map your car too. IIRC you just wanted a 1Bar map in the short term? If you can fit an AEM WB to the exhaust then its pretty easy and wouldn't take me long. 1.4-6Bar is fairly straight forward too but coming from a process control background I am a perfectionist so take my time. 1.8Bar isn't difficult but takes a bit more care when the turbo comes on boost.

Getting off topic :doh:

Andy, Stu, Dan, what are you like for time one weekend in July. Rain or shine probably doesn't matter too much. I can throw on a BBQ... maybe we could even tie in a NW meet if we're quick. Sunny Southport is always a good place for photos.

Thanks again gents :hail:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
if all the others fail to turn up jim, id happily pop across country and help you out, or do it for you for a couple of snags on the barbie mate.
will be out n back in a weekend, assuming you have the parts required to fix it!
id get another crank if i were you, as that one will be fcuked, (dont think i have one as i sold my last good one to ronnie1) will also pay to stick a new set of mains in aswell!
Cheers for the thought Bobby :thumbsup: and wise words on the bottom end, exactly was I was thinking too as Stu's had a similar accident recently. Pity your crank has gone, bagsy have first dibs on the next one ;-) :lol:

BTW, its still an open offer on what we discussed last time I saw you, it'll make a change from babies :doh:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Bad luck mate, it never rains but it poors :cry:

If I were closer I'd gladly help/do it for you, like Bobby says if you got the parts and tools it could be done in a couple of days easy.

Steve

DanDud

Just name a weekend Jim and if im not on holls il pop down, im back on the 7th and am off again on the 29th, also possibly away working on the 13th to 15th but thats not for certain yet, wont know for a few weeks.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Andy and I are thinking of having a go this Saturday if this is any good to Stu or Dan? Sunday could be another option or the following weekend at worst.

Cheers,
Jim

DanDud

Im not back from Falaraki till sunday lunch time so its a no can do from me, if you are doing it on sunday if i can still walk and talk il pop up and stick my head in.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hope you're enjoying yopur holiday. You're always more than welcome to pop in but hopefully Andy and I will have fettled on Saturday. Uncle Stu, might make an appearance. I'm thinking of throwing a BBQ too. Maybe have an impromtu GTIROC NW meet.