serious Problem

Digitalfaze

yeah have been doing some searches on clutches kinda wanted to stay away from the f1 clutches and ebay clutches figured if i bought a decent clutch then this hopefully wont happen again, i intend to keep the car for a good while and thinking should i uprate it while the box is off incase i do want to add power later?

Are AP Racing clutches any good?

Fire & skill

Vintage member
you'll find pulsar owners tend to stick with helix or RPS, theyre tried, tested and trusted (tongue twister there btw)

P

pulsarboby

i hate rps, bulkhead destroyers lol

ap are good as are helix.....if you want a cheapie then go for the f1 organic not had a prob with those yet and fitted around 3 which people have bought, bit grabby buhold 1.3bar boost no problem

wrc

I dont 'mind' my RPS, although quite heavy its a very confident clutch, and I trust it - thats the main thing for me.

Digitalfaze

ok thanks folks and bob i spoke with you this morning on the phone and thanks for your knowledge, much appreciated ;) i may go for an ap clutch looked into an f1 clutch for my honda and decided against it, maybe too cheap if you know what i mean, ill continue to search for a helix within my price range also

P

pulsarboby

good clutches just way too much clamping pressure....ok if you uprate the weak pulsar pedalbox, clutch fork and bulkhead where pedalbox is attached

wrc

Ideally every pulsar out there should have one mate. If its coming off definatly.

A little list for you:-

Uprated Cluch
New Nissan Release Bearing
Uprated Fork

Easy as that really, as the box is off - get the above changed (saves going back when one or the other item fucks up with the pressure of a new clutch)

Have you had it looked at yet to determine the fault?

Not something stupid like your pedal box spat its dummy out? if you arent running a pedal support bracket etc? Just a thought...

Digitalfaze

well i was just going to get the ap clutch kit which comes with a release bearing, someone is coming round tonight to diagnose the problem for sure, everything feels normal in the car, clutch engages gears nicely, pedal has a nice feel tbh you wouldnt notice anything was wrong till you released the clutch to drive then it just scrapes like mad.

was also going to get a braided clutch line as someone has one for sale on here, thought i may as well at the price they cost :)

Digitalfaze

well guy came to see it said nothing wrong with the clutch, the noise is coming from the link between transfer box and gearbox so the gearbox is knackered, gutted just cant understand how the box would go that easily :(

John

well guy came to see it said nothing wrong with the clutch, the noise is coming from the link between transfer box and gearbox so the gearbox is knackered, gutted just cant understand how the box would go that easily :(
After 3 years of nearly 400bhp my box went when cruising on about 10% throttle changing from 4th to 5th, when they have had enough they have had enough.

Unfortuneatly owning a R on a budget does not work.....

John

with no tell tale signs that it was going?
None at all, although a stock box is always running on borrowed time when you seriously uprate the power in these cars I'm afraid so I was expecting it to happen at some stage, hence why I had a spare quaife box to go in!

MarkTurbo

Someone local to me had the same problem a few years back, thought it was the transferbox but i think it ended up being a knackered centre diff.

so do i need the uprated clutch fork for a ap racing organic clutch?
I put a brand new fork from Nissan in my car 9 years and about 30,000 miles ago and its still going strong after 3 Ap clutches, 2 organic and 1 paddle. I'm still not convinced that an uprated fork is any better than a new Nissan one.

Last edited:

Digitalfaze

seems like so many different things it could be, dont want to go buy a new gearbox, clutch etc for it to turn out to be something else