serious Problem

Digitalfaze

just had my pulsar a week and i was shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and it jumped out of gear, now when i push the throttle all i get is grinding, to get the car to move i need to keep the car on the bite. anyone able to help all gears select fine and clutch seems to work fine selecting gears.

Thanks in advance

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Lets get this straight:
  • How did it jump out of gear in the middle of a shift? Do you mean you missed second and got a big crunch, or you selected second and it came out again?
  • If you're trying to move down the road all you get is grinding?
  • With the engine running, but a stationary car, you can select gears just fine?
  • You're pretty confident the clutch isn't damaged (on the basis that the gears select just fine with the engine running)?
What do you mean about having to keep it "on the bite"?

The obvious suggestion would to be to take a look at the selector mechanism. - If you're lucky it's something simple under the car (like the bush has failed), but if you're not it might be that the gearbox needs to come apart.
However, I may not have understood what the problem actually is; if it's a grinding noise, but it's not affecting the putting power to the road that could be something more serious... similarly if you just get a grinding noise instead of second, I'd take a punt that you've stripped the teeth on that gear.

I think we need Danny to diagnose this one. ;-)

Digitalfaze

i shifted to 2nd it grinded and jumped out of gear, got it in gear again had my foot off the clutch, push accelerator car doesnt move just grinds, does this in all gears. when holding the bite on the clutch the car will pull off as normal anymore power and it will just grind, i can only limp in the car

wrc

At the least it's obviously gearbox off and inspect.

At best I would imagine you are looking at clutch/release bearing/semi fork failure.

Digitalfaze

yeah i was thinking clutch release as its the same story with every gear, just need to decide weather i have to buy a gearbox and clutch kit, or just the clutch kit, are the pulsar boxes prone to breaking?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That depends on who you talk to and what you've done with it. - They're not especially prone to failure, but significantly more power than they were designed to take and launching will take its toll on them. I believe the problem tends to be that one of the shafts climbs-out of its spot, then gets forced sideways and effectively drills the end off the casing... but I may have that slightly wrong.

If you need to hold the clutch pedal, I would have thought that indicates where the problem lies rather than the box. - What clutch was it; could it have collapsed?

It's probably worth dropping the whole lot, but you might find you get away with replacing the clutch. I just figure it's unlikely you've stripped all the teeth.

Something like this will make a nasty rattling noise because you'll get rivets against steel... I couldn't select any gears when the car was running because a small piece of the friction material was wedged in the mechanism of the cover plate. - I thought it was the release bearing right until we pulled it out:

wrc

They are good boxes, but....

They are all around 20 years old now (unless rebuilt)
Obviously get the gears changed "with enthusiasm"
They don't like the clutches being dumped

Its just one of those things mate, nothing lasts forever. plenty of known members on here that will sell you a good replacement.

pulsar_stu

Could be the slave thats gone. i dropped a gearbox on one of mine because i couldnt get any gears while driving but could when iddling. lost drive and it would only pull forward slowley on the bite and judderd.
turned out to be the piston in the slave cylider that had been rubbing on one side and thern just gave up.

easy fix and just 15 minutes to check it.

Digitalfaze

thats exactly what happens stu, will only move slowly while holding the bite release the clutch while driving and it sounds like its not in gear properly, how do i check the slave?

thanks for the help so far folks, really appreciated

pulsar_stu

at the front of the engine is where you will find the slave, its bolted to the block with 2 bolts and it pushes a pin that pushes the clutch fork.
remove the pin between the piston and clutch fork.
then put a load of rag around the slave and then bleed most of the fuid off into a bottle via the bleed nipple and pumping the clutch peddle. leave a little in to have presure to push the piston out once youve finished bleeding.

Last edited:

Digitalfaze

fluid is fine it is brown though if that makes a difference, i thought these were cable clutches not hydraulic, gonna check this now and bleed the piston tomorrow, is the slave cylinder repairable or just buy a new one?

Last edited:

Digitalfaze

how will i know if this is the problem though? ive located so will take it off and have a look but is there any tell tale signs? see gti-r us has them so i will probably get him to send me one down, if that doesnt work then i guess its a new box and clutch

pulsar_stu

The piston has a rubber seal around it like what you get in a hand bike pump. that wares and so does the piston itself. mine had warn away quite a lot.