serious Problem

pulsar_stu

If i was you i would buy a trolley jack and axle stands £20 jack from lidl, invest in a tool box that has spanners and sockets £60 from halfords. Buy the inpact drive socket for undoing the hub nuts.
and then start to drop the gearbox yourself. The tools will cost you around £100.
where as having someone drop your gearbox will cost atleast £300.
so saving you £200 and you will have a nice set of tools for other jobs you have to do lol
theres very good how to's on here and on the other site and im sure everyone will guide you through if you get stuck.
Atleast this way you can do it as and when you get time, you will have a good understanding of how to work on the gtir. and then you can find out the problem for yourself ;)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, don't get ahead of yourself. - Drop the boxes first and take a look at the clutch (just in case). Split the gearbox and transfer case; see if you can work-out which one is (or isn't causing the problem... then look at your options to repair/replace it.

You will be off the road longer this way, but you won't end-up with a new gearbox to replace a transfer case.

Where are you based, you might find you've got someone local who's willing to give you a hand.

Digitalfaze

i think ill just take the dunt out the wallet on this one, i just dont have the balls to drop the box myself in this :( cheers for the help everyone much appreciated

Digitalfaze

ok ive bought clutch and my brother is going to come over at the weekend and we are going to drop the box and have a look, if it is clutch then i have one there anyway, if it turns out to be the box then atleast i know i have to buy one next, im more confident that it is a clutch problem now after a friend explained exactly what happens. fingers crossed :) wont be able to do the clutch fork as ive not got the time to get one delivered, hopefully the standard one will do just now and i just bought a genuine exedy stage 1 organic clutch kit so hopefully this will fullfill my needs till such a time i decide if i want more power

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've never had any problems with the standard fork, but I don't think the 20% more clamping pressure really makes that much difference to it. - The bigger clutches almost certainly need it.

Digitalfaze

ok cheers for reassurance pobody.

Thanks to everyone for your help you guys know your sh!t, ill let you know what happens

Sye