s14 200sx brakes

G

gav

Brakes- PLEASE

Anybody had any luck or ideas about this conversion or any1 have anyluck with gettung som1 to make the brackets. My brakes are dead and could do with not spending £700 on a set of hispecs. :cry: :cry:

gtir bean

so far i have only had a quick look at it but the s14 disks have more offset so will hit the end of the wishbone but only by a few mm so you should be ok to take a wee bit off the end of the wishbone.i wont know for sure untill i get the disks re drilled but i think i might heve trouble getting the calliper mounted close enough to the centre of the hub due to the mounting holes being different spacings.the callipers will be able to fit without a doubt its just wether i will be able to use the 280mm disks or maybe need to go to 300mm or so.

G

gav

Would it be possible to use the primera disks like som1 said in a early thread. Just had a look at some brakes fitted to a pulsar 2day. Skyline GTS calipers and alloy bell disks so this conversion is possible. Just need them spacers mate and we will be well away.

Cris

marc said:
The standard brakes on a 200sx ar 4 pots and as far as my experience goes they stopped my mates 500bhp skyline nps, and I was told it was the exact same brakes? Now just saying what I was told would be happy to be proved wrong? Because this is an upgrade im considering myself at this time!
Do a search on Skyline and 300ZX brakes. They use a set-up which is very similar to the S14 (or even identical depending on year). I looked into this in the past and it wouldn't be too hard. Have a look on the 200SX owners club for Bren's Brake upgrade.

B

B12-power

I don't know how the japanese guy did it, but I think it's impossible to put 300ZX calipers & discs on a GTI(R).

On the picture below you see, that this is the minimum distance of the caliper to the center of the hub.

But with the 300ZX-disc, that is 280mm (on the picture you see a Siera Cossie disc that's 283mm), that the pads don't fit the disc correctly.

So I think the only way to put the Z32-calipers on a GTI(R) is with larger discs. The discs have to be minimal 30mm larger than the Z32-discs. So that's 280mm + ca. 30mm = 310mm.
Maybe you can use the R33 GTS25T one, these are 296mm x 30mm.

B

B12-power

I redrilled a Siera-Cosworth-2WD-disc, 283mmx55mmx24mm. With this disc you've a lot of space between the disc and the wheel, so you don't have to use big spacers.

But unfortunately the Cosworth-disc hit the lower-wishbone.

The overall thickness of the 300ZX-disc is 53mm, so I think it will also hit the lower-wishbone.

The overall thickness of the standard disc is 45mm and with this one you have only 4mm between the disc and the wishbone.

So I think the maximum thickness of the disc can't be larger than 49mm.

On the pic below you'll see the original disc

gtir bean

i thought from when i had a look at it i would prob need 300mm disks,also from measuring the s14 disks that they would hit the wishbone.i might try hispec with the measurements to see what they can doo for disks.

gtir bean

dont look too bad now after i blasted them today :) i can get a set of evo6 disks cheap (320mmx32mm).they will fit the calliper,just need to find out the offset.if they fit i shoul have a half decent set of brakes for under £100

Shaun

:D Hi mate,looks as though it's coming on well 8) 8) Have you thought of trying disc's off cars with the same pcd as the 'R' :?: i.e.Golf,Renaultm 5turbo and certain Vauxhalls.Just a thought :wink:

C

carpy100

did a deep sea diver find them somewhere for you next to an old cannon and a couple of balls :shock:

gtir bean

i dont think many cars came with 320mm disks in 4 stud.i could be wrong thou.for callipers to rust thru they would probably have to be left in a bucket of salt for years.it just blasts off so they will be fine once painter.its only some pitting on them now.

Shaun

:D Hi mate,i wasnt talking about the diameter of the disc's :wink: what i meant was the offset and the availibility as there are more Renaults,golf's and Vauxhaulls than 'R's :wink: so might be easier to track something down.

gtir bean

i think i will need at least 310mm dia thou because of how close i can get the caliper to the centre.im running 16" wheels so its a bit hit or miss if they would go over 320mm disks.im sure ill get something sorted out soon :wink:

gtir bean

just been on the net and e36 m3 disks are 315mm x 28mm.the standard 200sx disks are 30mm and the evo ones are 32mm so either disk is ok for width,just need to find out the offset.my mate works at bmw so i should get a set of disks easy enough.

Cris

Bear in mind that the 300ZX (which also uses these calipers) uses 280mm discs and has 16s as stock. There isn't massive clearence at that size.

gtir bean

i know there is some people running 320mm disks with 16s but i dont think i will be one. :( .i could sell or swap my enkies for some 17s but i like the 16s better.

Cris

I'd be surprised if the 200 calipers would sit with 320mm discs on 16s or 17s for that matter. They are big chunky calipers.

I checked the specs and the 200/300 does indeed use 280mm discs. As a thought I think that the 200 had 15s so mayeb it will be OK after all.

There's a chap on the 200SX forum who does a kit to swap the four stud S13 200SX over to the later S14 brakes (five stud). I think it's called Bren's brake upgrade.

Might be worth a sniff.

gtir bean

its just because of the mounting on the hub that i cant get the calliper in close enough to the centre of the hub.if 300mm disks will fit i will have a better chance.i just want rid of the standard ones as the would stuggle to stop a micra and i want to take my car on the track.

Cris

If you need the clearance then get some brackets made up and buy some discs and bells. You can get pretty much whatever you want assuming that it'll fit.