Raising the compression?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
im running one mate u loose top end speed but compensate with it faster through gears so makes ya car a good 0-60 beast
Seconded - you just run out of gears. Not a huge problem on the roads because you're not supposed to be going fast enough to get to that point. You also don't need to build the boost quite as much if you need to get a quick start, but you need to be ready to shift pretty quickly too.

It'll get you to over 100mph, more than that I can't really say.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't had mine long enough to destroy the box, but I don't know that it's any better.
I know the synchro seems to have gone on mine on 5th gear and I need to double clutch if I don't quite get the revs right. It's also possible that it was rebuilt before I had it.

Gav_Kara

Cheers for your help guys. What about launches and the box disintegrating. Is it a sturdy unit?
not shore about launches mate never done it in mine!!! ive had mine almost two years now and seems ok!!! all depends how you treat a box and clutch if your launching it ect it will only last like a normal box and limited time!!!

Matty B

sequential gearbox

Has anybody ever heard of an 'R' having one of these. Just been looking on a website about a guy who sells these boxes for Pug 306's. They sell for about 6 grand :shock:, steep i know but how cool would that be hey :-D. One of these would be perfect for an 'R' that is used on the quarter mile.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've had mine long enough and haven't killed it yet, bear in mind I only have about 290bhp, but I'm not shy about lanving it.

P

pulsarboby

because of the fact that the gears are a shorter ratio technically you should not break them as easy under launching i would have thought, as you need to shift from 1st almost immediately (second is like 1st on a standard car)
so there should be less strain on takeoff.
downside is that you need to be able to shift gear very quickly to get to 60-80 and that means you run the risk of crunching the gears through being aggressive with gearchange

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
According to the gear ratios I've found, c/r 1st is longer than standard 1st

1st ----- 3.285-------RB: 3.067
2nd ----- 1.850------RB: 2.095
3rd ----- 1.272-------RB: 1.653
4th ----- 0.954-------RB: 1.272
5th ----- 0.740-------RB: 0.911
Reverse - 3.266 -----RB: 3.153

P

pulsarboby

i find that hard to believe tbh even though its in black n white

you have to admitt karl that first is pretty useless as you have to change so quick! when i drove the rb that ive got the difference to a standard box is incredible, to the point of its not like driving the same car, on many occasions ive skipped first and just use second to pull away, unless the one i have is totally different.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My first seems to last well into the 30s (well, on the speedo at least) I just run out of the other 5 too quickly:doh::lol:

R

riske

So would you go as far to say. If you needed a new gearbox you would go for a short ratio one? The 0-60 times must be quick! What times you looking at FastGuy? Also whats your top speed?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
you have to admitt karl that first is pretty useless as you have to change so quick! when i drove the rb that ive got the difference to a standard box is incredible, to the point of its not like driving the same car, on many occasions ive skipped first and just use second to pull away, unless the one i have is totally different.
Yeah, if you give it enough throttle that you're scrabbling for grip then you're pretty much changing into second as soon as it's moving... not that I do that often, but if you need to pull-out of a side road and get up to speed quickly you have to.

I've never driven another R besides my own, so I don't really know what the difference is. I don't think it's that short though; I always use first to move off without any issues (and I don't think I've intentionally used second)... but then mine is a road car.

Maybe I don't really have a short-ratio box because it doesn't sound nearly as short as the one you had, but that's what I was told when I bought the car.
So would you go as far to say. If you needed a new gearbox you would go for a short ratio one? The 0-60 times must be quick! What times you looking at FastGuy? Also whats your top speed?
The previous owner of mine said it topped-out at 120mph on his sat nav and ~125mph on the speedo.
Now that I look at it, it was FastGuy who confirmed it was sold with an RB box from the VIN... (Or did you?)

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's quite a clever bit of kit - change the shifter to sequential without changing the gearbox.

P

pulsarboby

ive only ever used the rb ive got otr and i dont like it tbh, i cant see the point of ever fitting a bigger turbo or modding a car with a short ratio box fitted as it revs straight round to the red line very quickly, so you would gain absolutely nothing by trying to ever up the power, it really is nothing like a standard R to drive.

the other thing i noticed with it was the immense fuel consumption as you seem to be forced to change gear quickly or you find you get engine braking if you lift your foot off the clutch too slowly inbetween gear changes, all this makes you drive the car harder and down goes the fuel very quickly lol

its the only rb ive ever driven and it would be a great car for rallying or short sprints but as a roadcar im sorry but i dont like them

P

pulsarboby

What i will be looking at doing when i get my PPG gearset is using an Ikeya Sequen shifter from japan. Although there is not a GTIR specific one you as long as the box pattern matches it will work and we are quite sure we have the right one...
have a look if you are interested @ http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/product_notice/sequen_shifter.html

tom have you not noticed that every box listed to fit nissan are inline boxes!!!
would be great if they could do one

just read the rest of it and they do evo so perhaps it is possible

Last edited by a moderator: